Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars spiritual successor from original devs

Runciter

Augur
Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157080530

http://satellitereign.com

https://af.gog.com/game/satellite_reign?as=1649904300

Kickstarter NOW LIVE: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign

- Crooked Bee
======================

A link to this video was posted by a guy claiming to be Mike Diskett, one of the people who worked on Syndicate Wars, to the Syndicate Wars Port mailing list:

Looks like possibly there will be a kickstarter for a Syndicate Wars remake/successor.

There is also a website with a countdown: http://www.satellitereign.com/.

source

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron

Arcane
Love the They Live references.

No wait, actually it was total shit. Clip said nothing except that they had seen They Live. Dude, my mom has seen They Live. She re-enacted the ten minute brawl at her bookclub the next day. Christ, I would have given it a ten if they've played 1.3 seconds of the original score, or showed a bright haired agent with an uzi urgently crossing town. Or a crowd of people following a stony faced guy in a trenchcoat, milling about him without knowing why. The website has a countdown showing 38 days 2hours and 37 minutes. If their teaser campaign is anything to go by I'll be bored again when the counter runs down.

The first person to mention they word 'Syndicate' on kickstarter will be hereby known as 'a millionaire'.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
People seem to forget that what most probably will be created won't be an inclined Syndicate, but less declined Syndicate than the mainstream companies would make.

spectre

Arcane
How can you decline syndicate, it's a pretty simplistic game in itself? (yea, you can try turning it into a modern tps shooter with cover and cooldown abilities... but I'm assuming a modicum of professionalism here)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How can you decline syndicate, it's a pretty simplistic game in itself? (yea, you can try turning it into a modern tps shooter with cover and cooldown abilities... but I'm assuming a modicum of professionalism here)

By forgetting the extreme degree of nihilism and injecting some sort of forced story about fighting the man.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Syndicate_coverart.jpg

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, it was exactly what I was referring to, thanks.

By forgetting the extreme degree of nihilism and injecting some sort of forced story about fighting the man.
Indeed, it may be a bit too much for the librul audiences of today.

Wow,, "librul", really?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Paradox's not-Syndicate "Cartel" appears to be dead, so I hope this one is for real.
I have no idea if there are enough fans around to successfully kickstart a Syndicate.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Syndicate > Syndicate Wars

The engine that worked good in Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper frustrated most of the time with camera controls. I hope they try at least to fix that problem. It will have 3d engine for sure, which is a shame, since original Synd look excellent even now. More than a month to the announcement, hope there will be some gameplay, not some vague concept arts and typical "we are so excited..." approach.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Transparent buildings are decline, brofist if you agree

*runs away*

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Plenty of ways. Examples from Syndicate Wars:
-Super-durable cars.
-Gimped miniguns.
-Gimped lasers.
-No ammo.
-Reversing the technological progress.

Though Syndicate Wars compensated for it with a ton of incline in other areas.

Also, simplistic games are very easy to decline. Especially if they won't devote the amount of attention to graphics as they did in Syndicate/Syndicate Wars.

Syndicate > Syndicate Wars

The engine that worked good in Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper frustrated most of the time with camera controls. I hope they try at least to fix that problem. It will have 3d engine for sure, which is a shame, since original Synd look excellent even now. More than a month to the announcement, hope there will be some gameplay, not some vague concept arts and typical "we are so excited..." approach.
Syndicate Wars is one of the best looking 3d games ever made. Also, it had much better pathfinding and it was much harder to lose track of agents behind buildings and stuff.

spectre

Arcane
Saying that Syndicate Wars was decline is a stretch. The car durability may have been taken too far, but in the oroginal, they were almost paper-thin - with the driver abandoning the wheel after one shot.
And they were still easy to blow up once the heavier weapons became available.
At least they the minigun ceased to be the main weapon used in 90% of the missions, and they dropped the inanity of lugging around 8 miniguns on one guy, no matter how ridiculous the explanation for the loss of ammo was.
Personally, I only thought it was a shame that the flamer was now much less fun to use.

Anyways, I agree that wanton destruction with the graviton gun etc. more than made up for any other deficiencies.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Saying that Syndicate Wars was decline is a stretch. The car durability may have been taken too far, but in the oroginal, they were almost paper-thin - with the driver abandoning the wheel after one shot.
Well, they were cars, not APCs. In the original you'd usually fire at them with miniguns - cars aren't designed to withstand that kind of fire at all. Even firing at them with a SMG will usually quickly kill the passenger/make them unusable.
APCs are another thing, but IIRC they were more durable than normal cars.

And they were still easy to blow up once the heavier weapons became available.
At least they the minigun ceased to be the main weapon used in 90% of the missions, and they dropped the inanity of lugging around 8 miniguns on one guy, no matter how ridiculous the explanation for the loss of ammo was.
They could have simply added ammo that could be picked up, dropped and bought.

Anyways, I agree that wanton destruction with the graviton gun etc. more than made up for any other deficiencies.
These weapons were available only in the last few missions.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Are you sure Syndicate Wars had no ammo? I remember playing it a long time ago and I thought it had ammo. I also thought the minigun was good enough.
But it has been since forever- and even though I finished the game I found it much less memorable than Syndicate.

Honestly, the main fun in Syndicate Wars was leveling banks in every map by exploding cars next to them and stealing the cash.

spectre

Arcane
It had a single, universal ammo bar for all weapons that slowly replenished itself.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Syndicate was the only franchise that left me crying after trying latest instalment. The horror! Even Fallout wasn't raped that much.

If Mike Diskett is making spiritual succesor of Syndicate Wars, I will explode with joy, blood, cum, sweat and cash. Cyberpunk at it finest, music, atmosphere and fucking destructible environment. Loved the floating GITS ads.

Awor don't be realist fag, its a game set in late 22st century.

Explosives, grenades were limited to 4 per team member and one satellite rain. Every other weapon was using universal ammo-meter.

If 10 year old me with 4 left legs instead of limbs could handle the camera, everyone should handle it.

BTW
Best fucking intro ever

Runciter

Augur
I hate to spoil the righteous indignation, but Mythbusters unloaded dozens of mags at cars, cars with blow-up dolls, cars' fuel tanks, they lit fuel trails from leaking tanks on fire, they tore and punctured tyres on running cars... trust me, it's harder to take down a car than you think.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Awor don't be realist fag, its a game set in late 22st century.
So? It's not like I'm criticizing combat cyborgs withstanding tons of punishment. It's civilian cars and it's a change from something that was better in the first game. It's not like they were made of glass in Syndicate - they could withstand 6 shotgun blasts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom