Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Satisfactory - first person Factorio from Goat Simulator devs - now available on Early Access

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Ironmonk

Augur
isnt every game on epic getting 1y exclusive?
yes, but if the information on the Q&A is correct, then the exclusivity timer start counting the moment it goes on sale, so if it's a game in alpha/beta/EA stage you might get a finished game by the time the timer clocks 1 year.

Perkel

Arcane
Just installed it, trying it atm.

Looks pretty and runs very well on my rig i5-3570l@4,5Ghz +gtx980

unknown.png

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Played for like 5 hours:

+ factorio in 3D
+ looks really great
+ proper tutorial
+ milestone oriented gameplay, you play as worker for company and send stuff into space to progress
+ conveyor belts work really well and are joy to use
+ feels great to see belts pulling stuff same as in factorio
+ early access feels like finished game

- first person view makes it more difficult to properly lie down buildings
- buildings seem oversized a bit for what they are
- maps are not randomly generated
- electricity management seems to be annoying for now
- small ui icons so it is hard to see what you want to pick from inventory especially since 1/4 of icon is hidden behind numeric value of item.

For now, for early access it looks really nice. IDK how it plays and what is later but for now at least it seems like really good game.

Perkel

Arcane
I am starting to be annoyed by gameplay. The building part seems to be fine but FPP view really limits your ability to build and most of the time spent on building anything is you fiddling with camera because you can't properly lie down structures.

The other issues is that while world looks great, art design on factory parts is just bad. Textures and everything is fine but you can't easily tell what are you looking at. Especially if you build more structures soon everything starts to blend together, smelters look like constructors, constructors like power generators and so on.

Ironmonk

Augur
I am starting to be annoyed by gameplay. The building part seems to be fine but FPP view really limits your ability to build and most of the time spent on building anything is you fiddling with camera because you can't properly lie down structures.

The other issues is that while world looks great, art design on factory parts is just bad. Textures and everything is fine but you can't easily tell what are you looking at. Especially if you build more structures soon everything starts to blend together, smelters look like constructors, constructors like power generators and so on.
But you can change the color of buildings right? If that is the case, you can set different colors for different types of buildings.

Perkel

Arcane

But you can change the color of buildings right? If that is the case, you can set different colors for different types of buildings.

Yes i can dye them but that still doesn't change fundamentally how structures look. If i color green smelter and constructor i have trouble finding difference between two from further away. So either you need personally to color code everything or you have mess. Which shouldn't be a thing in first place.

It is not that huge issue though. Game is still interesting.

Perkel

Arcane
Spend some time with it after nearly a year of updates.
They added trains and robo vehicles you can program to drop off/on loot in vehicle stations. Very neat.

Tried to build some proper factory enclosed but i just gave up after finding out how limiting build system is.
Basically your factory can't look any any way different than big concrete/steel square box. There aren't even lights to build so everything is dark in there.

The progression has been updated a lot and it is rewarding to unlock new tiers.

Cost of buildings is joke. Apparently you can build space elevator with 1500 bags of cement, some wires and sheets of metal. Space elevator thing was complete eyebrow for me as it is absolute monster of a building

Still lack of minute control over direction in which building face other than those huge jumps on non grid surface or complete 90 degree on grid based foundations.

Buildings as usually feel oversized, especially compared to terrain. If you want to build even small factory you have to basically build on biggest open space you have because you will run out of place to build very quickly.
This is especially evident when you place those huge buildings like coal power plants.

Still no terrain modification. Which is terrible. You can't even remove lone rocks that stick out from ground which is very weird because when you cut down tree with chainsaw it also removes some smaller rocks giving you limestone.

Either way after fumbling for a while i just gave up. I tried few mods but modding scene also looks pretty weak. There is moar factory mod which looks nice and does give you those extra stuff you want in enclosed factory but again no power transfer through wall so you have to build a fucking hole. I mean fucking Fallout 4 had connectors you could attach anywhere you wanted and transfer this way power... Then this mod also introduces steel which is different steel than steel you make from several tiers above which naturally breaks progression.

Only good mod i found was lights mod which adds few lamps etc to light up factory. But if you want to light up your whole factory then performance goes to shit.. No wonder they didn't want to add lights....

After all of this and the end of the day it is still fun to watch those products roll on conveyor belts. So they have something here. It just needs ton of polish and works and some change in design.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam release on Tuesday (probably):

https://steamcommunity.com/ogg/526870/announcements/detail/1708489589130399536

We’re releasing on Steam!

We’re pretty excited to announce this news to you all and we know a lot of folks wanted it. We don’t know for sure when we’ll be launching here on Steam. There is still some work we need to do behind the scenes to get everything flowing. But this is a priority for us and we’re doing our best. However... we all know how proficient we are in delays. So, I predict Steam launch at 5pm GMT on Tuesday, 2020.

Over the past year on we’ve had a lot of time to work on Satisfactory - with aid from our lovely community! Our latest major launch is Update #3 where we introduce pipes, a hyperloop travel system, and a bunch of cosmetic items for your factory (including windows!) - along with rebalancing, optimizations and quality of life stuff.

**Patch notes**

• Pipes and Fluid System
• Resource Sink and Shop
• Hypertubes
• New starting area the “Dune Desert”
• Crouch and Slide
• Rebalance

And more… you can read the full patch notes here

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/526870/view/2237672703772779079

Release Date (no for real this time)
*not clickbait*
Yo!

The day has come when we can finally tell you when Satisfactory will be available on steam!

1c443d79f6aadfd2f811c0d7bf3f8714c630fe2b.jpg

You can expect Satisfactory on steam Monday, June 8!

Yeah we said Tuesday in the past, but we say a lot of things.
I know it's been frustrating that we haven't been able to announce an official date until now (believe me, It's been frustrating for us as well). But we're here now and we're definitely releasing it Monday, June 8 and we're super stoked about that!

Launch Discount
During release we'll also be a running a 10% discount on the game (which is released Monday, June 8)!

Until then (Monday, June 8)! Take care!
Snutt

Steam shows Tuesday, June 9th. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When's it coming to steam?

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/526870/view/2207272756192037223

Satisfactory OUT NOW!
f163a75300a7eb43e39477bd5f77cf8b5810e603.jpg

We made it! The game is out now on Steam!

We're super stoked in welcoming you to drop down on MASSAGE-2(A-B)b in the binary star system of Akycha to create some tasty conveyor belt spaghetti!

We've worked many years getting Satisfactory to where it is today, but the game is still in Early Access so there's still more sweet stuff coming! We hope you'll have a grand ol' time and help us in developing our game with your feedback and support!

Yours truly,
Coffee Stain Studios

WHY EARLY ACCESS?
Satisfactory is a big and complex game that can be expanded and refined for a very long time and we believe that there is a community of factory builders out in the world that would love to join us to create this beast of a game together. We want to involve players, see how they play and iterate the game based on that. Going Early Access will help us build an awesome factory-building game and help us focus on the right things moving forward.

APPROXIMATELY HOW LONG WILL SATISFACTORY BE IN EARLY ACCESS?
We hope to work on this game for years to come and make something truly special. We are not entirely sure what would qualify as a 1.0 version of Satisfactory, but the game will be in Early Access for at least 1 year, could be longer.

WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATE OF THE EARLY ACCESS VERSION?
We’ve reached the point in development where we feel ready to open the game up to the public. There are still a bunch of performance, design and visual issues and the game is far from perfect. Having said that the game is in a state where you can have a lot of fun and enjoy tons of hours of gameplay, single or multiplayer. If you are into building factories and adventure in a vast unexplored world, we think that you are going to like Satisfactory a lot!

WHAT WE ARE LAUNCHING WITH:
• 7 tiers full of milestones that unlocks machines, resources, equipment and vehicles
• 4 different starting areas/biomes on a large handcrafted world (30km2)
• Vehicles with automation capabilities
• Equipment and weapons
• Alien creatures
• Pipes(!!!)
• Multiplayer (still in a bit funky state but it’s Playable and Fun™)

HOW IS THE FULL VERSION PLANNED TO DIFFER FROM THE EARLY ACCESS VERSION?
We are planning to at least add the following:

• The rest of the FICSIT milestones and tiers
• More machines, resources, vehicles, equipment, and weapons
• Improvements on core gameplay, systems, UI/UX, Quality of Life
• Iterate on world, exploration, landmarks, rewards, and creatures
• Full narrative
• More optimization
• Dedicated server support
• Mod support

WILL THE GAME BE PRICED DIFFERENTLY DURING AND AFTER EARLY ACCESS?
We expect the price to increase once we go 1.0, but we don’t know for sure.

HOW ARE YOU PLANNING ON INVOLVING THE COMMUNITY IN YOUR DEVELOPMENT PROCESS?
The game has been available on a different platform up until this point and we have somewhat learned how to balance addressing feedback and introducing new content from this time. We will keep on reading the discussions and talking to our community. We use Discord, our own up-vote forum, in-game bug reports, surveys etc. This process is likely something that we will iterate on as well. We have an experimental branch where we want to push in early content for future stable updates for those who want to opt in and help us test it. You can always follow our updates and progress through our different channels; Website, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, and Discord.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Been waiting for this foreeever :D very hyped to get into it finally. Honestly shocked people are so negative on it.

Also Infinitron shouldn't this be under simulation? Don't really get Factorio and this being in different places.

Fengas

Novice
Been waiting for this foreeever :D very hyped to get into it finally. Honestly shocked people are so negative on it.

People are negative on it cause it's just prettier but slightly more tedious and less deep version of Factorio with an additional dimension, also, picked it up yesterday and realized not only did they not make early game less tedious but made it worse, you either rush coal power without any regard for neatly organized factory or you build up your factory properly and spend annoying part of your time collecting biomass, however with introduction of liquids,

coal power now also requires water, not that it takes too much resources to set up but it's still a bit of a roadblock to get some proper automated power going, it's not really fun and after talking to handful of my friends all but one didn't drop it after 3-4 hours, all agreed it was very pretty though

Should have added solar panels at tier one or something to alleviate biomass consumption during the day.

Perkel

Arcane
yeah biomas not being automated is dumb dumb design.
But other than that game is pretty good as introduction to Factorio.

My main issue is that none of buildings are properly scaled.

Coal plants are huge which basically force you to place them outside.
assemblers and other stuff don't have standardized sizes so when you build something you often see that something takes 0.5 square more than you thought fucking up everything.
Game promotes vertical building but none of structures support vertical building as they are of various sizes up and you get some weird outcomes where something is one square high but it gets like few cm outside square so you have to build another square on top of it to make it possible to cover up.

Fengas

Novice
Building huge structures in it is kinda fun, but it's not as efficient as Factorio, machinery being huge isn't really that bad cause you are encouraged to build vertically plus you can try incorporating it into your design, but that just might be my own preference,

but yes when something takes slightly more than it should and screws your entire plan, not to mention if you want to build everything tight and soddenly spliter doesn't fit in cause it's colliding with something and you are forced to dismantle it all, no bots so do it by hand, you can hit F and then target things and click CTRL clicks or holding it on things you want to dismantle, making it easier to select several things, but it's still not as efficient as Factorio, not even close.

Also, my recommendation is build something like three layers of foundations if you're not making a hanging factory, so that you could lay your belts and pipes underneath your machinery, that way you can adjust on how much space you will need and build accordingly when you build upwards, and use watch towers, they are rather tall and make planning out and laying down stuff easier,

Still, the game looks like something that's fun to dick around with friends, if you have any that are interested in the game (or any at all)

Perkel

Arcane
Well hanging factories is my other gripe with game. They go with hand crafted world but game doesn't support building stuff on varied terrain.

And most of machines are just too big for gameworld which causes you to either build hanging factories which look absolutely atrocious or spend hours upon hours trying to properly lie down foundations because there are no terraforming tools.

Fengas

Novice
Well, I don't mind big machinery, in fact I kinda like it, but yea for the most part factories are ugly, and things to make them look aesthetically nicer comes from awesome shop, so you need to set up resource sync early on and start grinding materials for tickets to to purchase convenience parts like support beams, glass panels, etc,
I don't think there's enough in it though and buying ability to plant some trees and more wall textures would help to hide ugliness of the factories, but if huge monolithic buildings isn't your thing, then yea it's not gonna feel good cause building flat factories takes too much space, unless you create different infrastructures in different biomes over several smaller factories, but that's just leaning into pure autism territory

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Satisfactory devs reveal sales number for both Epic Store and Steam. On Epic, they sold 950K copies in 15 months, 350K on Steam in one month.
https://micky.com.au/engineering-fps-game-satisfactory-released-its-latest-sales-numbers/
Engineering FPS game 'Satisfactory' released its latest sales numbers

Engineering-Fps-Game-Satisfactory-Released-Its-Latest-Sales-Numbers-696x456.jpg

First-person sandbox engineering game Satisfactory just released its sales numbers. The figures show off the disparity between their two storefront sales numbers.
Satisfactory community manager Jace Varlet shared the numbers through a video. The super enthused appreciation post was uber wholesome for anyone who sees it. For those interested in the numbers, the exact figure is 1,326,518 copies sold so far. It is also interesting to note the ratio between EGS and Steam for the game.

Steam version sold more than 350,000 copies in one month
While the video of Varlet is a recommended view, the figures are awe-inspiring. The game came out for the Epic Games Store on March 19 last year. The Steam version, on the other hand, came out last June 9 of this year.

The numbers for both storefronts are solid, with EGS generating 958,917 copies sold. Steam, on the other hand, solid as many as 367,601 in their first month. Varlet gave a good, nuanced explanation of what’s happening.

“Epic sold in about three months or something 500,000,” the community manager said. “The total number sold on Steam in a month or whatever is 360,000 so it’s slated to probably overtake what Epic did at that time.”

Varlet notes how Steam has a ton more users compared to Epic. This move, together with the Steam Summer Sale, helped boost the game to the top.

“Another thing to consider is that there has been the Summer Sale, and we have been on the top sellers. We were at first or top three for a very long time and we’re still in the top 10.”

Satisfactory is a robust title with great gameplay
The success of Satisfactory on Steam is a slightly expected phenomenon. The game is an excellent piece of a sandbox game. Internet creatives enjoy the challenge that these types of games give to players.

These figures can be a statement of how superior Steam is against Epic Games Store. Considering the internet hate for EGS, it’s hard to imagine the big difference in sales. Some players in the community even go as far as to boycott the platform altogether.

The game is selling superbly well on both platforms and for a reason. The game comes from Coffee Stain Studios, the creators of a few hit PC games. Their line of titles includes Goat Simulator, Sanctum, Huntdown, and Deep Rock Galactic.

Satisfactory is available on both Steam and the Epic Games Store. The game is currently on a decent 10% discount on Steam until July 9.

Featured image courtesy of Coffee Stain Studios/YouTube Screenshot

Micky is a news site and does not provide trading, investing, or other financial advice. By using this website, you affirm that you have read and agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions.

Micky readers - you can get a 10% discount on trading fees on FTX and Binance when you sign up using the links above.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
You're a bit late there

Surprised it's still only 2 pages after this long. It's not that terrible.

Edit: Your title and opening sentence is weird. Neither are set on planet Earth so I guess both are in space? Both have combat too. It's more like "Factorio but 3D and more clunky". Yeeting yourself across the map with the pneumatic tubes is fun though.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ahh, thanks.

I saw this browsing today might give it a shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom