Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Savage: The Shard of Gosen - 2D action/platforming adventure with RPG elements - now on Early Access

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
https://www.planettobor.com/savage

Savage is equal parts inspired by the Conan stories by Robert E. Howard, my fascination with Zelda II (yes, yes, I know - the black sheep of the Zelda family), other games of its ilk (like Gargoyle's Quest) and a healthy dose of general barbarian fetishism.

The final product will (hopefully) include a varied, somewhat open world to explore, an interesting little tale filled with machismo, magic and muscles, day/night cycle, overworld hunting/tracking, lots of action/platforming, fun melee system and some mild RPG elements (item use, leveling up, gear, crafting and the like).

Brutal combat, platforming, and plenty of world to explore! Level up, battle giant monsters and bring down the Argeshii horde!

You can wishlist it on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/408060/SAVAGE_The_Shard_of_Gosen/

Or you can download the newest demo: https://www.indiedb.com/games/savag...ads/savage-the-shard-of-gosen-public-alpha-50

9e3bf941a1f0394a86818d4b165711fe_original.png

f84d13a83bafe8d5c6c05ec49a8557d2_original.gif
10fec7271ff5e0acc41513cecbd78025_original.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
There wasn't a thread about this that I could find, so I made one.

I've been following this game for years now and it still looks so cool. I'd play the demo, but I don't wanna spoil the full release for myself.
Anyway, BARBARIAN FETISHISM! It's like if those awful barbarian sidescrolling beat m' ups were made by someone competent!

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
18 min of gameplay of the previous build:

I mean...you can throw dead bodies onto spikes, so you can jump across. :))

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

The developer just added Early Access tag and description. Coming... soon?

Why Early Access?
“To be frank, I need help finishing this game up. I've been working on it solo for about six years and the end is in sight! For quite some time, people have been asking me how they can support the game or do some form of preordering (including asking me directly to launch the game in Early Access). Early Access looks like it fits my needs perfectly, and allows those looking to support a means to do so (and if you decide to do so or already have, thank you!).

As someone developing this project solo and independently, it lives and dies on word of mouth. I believe Early Access will help give this game its best shot.

Clearing up any hardware issues and optimization problems I can from player feedback is also a concern to me, not to mention rooting out bugs and any general unpleasantness lurking in the game's engineering.

And tuning! Lots of tuning as far as gear stats, player stats and enemy balance. Getting feedback from new people and fresh eyes on this thing will hopefully work wonders when it comes to balancing the game's deeper RPG elements.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“I reckon I have around 3 to 4 months left of content work (more enemies, armor, weapons, areas, etc.). This is subject to change based on any issues I run into during development, though most of the game's systems are in and working, and the game just needs more content.

I hope to hit full release before the year is over.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The finished game will have a complete critical path and main story to play through, as well as a completed worldmap, more dungeons, gear, enemies and bosses. Basically a lot more content.

I also plan on making use of as many of Steam's features as possible that fit the game (achievements, trading cards, cloud saves, etc.).

There are many ideas for content that I would love to include in the game, during Early Access and post launch.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The current version of the game offers anywhere from 5-15 hours of content, depending on how difficult a player may find parts, desire to grind and explore, etc. About half of the worldmap is accessible. The main story and critical path of the game cannot be completed yet. Nearly every system is complete and working in the Early Access version (crafting, alchemy, dialogue system with skillchecks, perk system from mastering gear, etc.).”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“There is no planned difference in price.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“During development, I have gotten a lot of great feedback from early backers and folks playing the free demo via my livestream where I work on the game. Interactions on the Discord, feedback submissions via email, comments on social media - I listen and read it all; certain things even wind up in the game (Stepping on enemies that are impaled on spikes and driving them deeper onto the spike is one of my favorite examples)!

Feedback and interaction from any and all of these channels is welcome and encouraged!”

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Yep, on yesterday's stream he said it should be second half of August.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Played it for an hour and a half. (would play more, but need to work)
TL;DR - It's good.

The controls have a surprising amount of momentum, it reminds me of Cave Story perhaps? Took a while to get used to, but it's fine now.
And yeah, it's a barbarian revenge story, about what you expect. The game did surprise me in a few places already, it's important to talk to all NPCs, as it's not always obvious where you need to go, or what exactly to do.
And it's possible to grind, if you're not very good.

I barely made it from the opening dungeon and entered another one, but so far I'm liking it a lot.

edit: played a few more hours. It can be pretty difficult, and the dungeons are fairly large. Fought a boss, took me around 8 tries to beat.
What I like is that while it's definitely funny in places, it's not a "barbarian" type parody, or an attempt to subvert the genre. It's swords and sorcery done right, so far without the massive cringe like what other sincere barbarian games often fall into.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Spend couple of hours playing it and can same that the game definitely feels good, but I am not yet sure about level/enemy design yet.

PrettyDeadman

edit: played a few more hours. It can be pretty difficult, and the dungeons are fairly large. Fought a boss, took me around 8 tries to beat.
What I like is that while it's definitely funny in places, it's not a "barbarian" type parody, or an attempt to subvert the genre. It's swords and sorcery done right, so far without the massive cringe like what other sincere barbarian games often fall into.
What boss did you fight? I've found only some raptor creature so far, which gives you darts.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The dinosaur was pretty tough. The next boss is a bear rider and that one I only managed to defeat via a glitch. (killed the rider, but the bear got me. That still counted as clearing the boss though.)

PrettyDeadman

The dinosaur was pretty tough. The next boss is a bear rider and that one I only managed to defeat via a glitch. (killed the rider, but the bear got me. That still counted as clearing the boss though.)
I guess I was overleveled for those guys, but I defeated them both without much of a problem (long sword + iron armor + meat),
Is there any more content yet?
Have anyone managed to find blacksmith's hammer?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Fuck gog, is it at least coming on itch.io?
It might? It'll probably be directly available from the dev's website.

I'm having trouble leveling effectively, been stuck at 5 or 6 for a while now. There is a devil's wood or whatever, to the south. And I think through there is the way to another open world area, with sea access. (which is blocked in EA)

PrettyDeadman

I am stuck at level 7 and I need 3 more levels to use new weapon I've found (cutlas needs 4 str and 8 resolve).

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
After finally getting out of the bear dungeon, I began running into places where I can't reach certain areas. Either they're gated off, or I need double/wall jump.
A thief told me about thief tools being in one of the starter caves, but it's probably in an area I can't reach. Smith told me about smithing tools in a bandit fort, but I didn't find them there.

I think I might wait for a patch that adds the mapping system, and adjusts drop rates and/or fixes favour. I'm stuck at -15 favour and get almost no meat drops, so healing's out unless I buy a ton of it at the witch lady.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is great though. Dialogue is spot on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom