Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Baldur's Gate 2
The battle begins
HsWyG68.png

Drizzt (he didn't do anything in the battle)
U0L9qkq.png

Viconia destroying the enemy with level six spells
Z5HmHxL.png

Bye Bodhi
dqnPbH0.png

I couldn't help but notice: is there are a reason why you don't have transparency enabled for magic spells? I presume your fog of war isn't transparent either and looks pixelated instead.
I ask because I had issues with my own trying to run that graphics option, with the game's graphics being bugged.

Dramart

Learned
I couldn't help but notice: is there are a reason why you don't have transparency enabled for magic spells? I presume your fog of war isn't transparent either and looks pixelated instead.
I ask because I had issues with my own trying to run that graphics option, with the game's graphics being bugged.
I don't remember enabling that option or any other. Maybe it looks pixelated because I used Fraps to take the screenshot or it's because the resolution is 640x480.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
fun puzzle game for when I have 10 mins
It's not how it works.

alright fuck you then! I'll take my questions elsewhere!

bitch
You can spend HOURS staring at a fucking problem in Zachtronics games, and not being able to solve it. Maybe you need just one more instruction but there isn't room for one, maybe you need just one more variable, but there's nowhere to store it... And then, you get those moments of absolutely pure brilliance and you solve a stupidly complex puzzle with best solution (at least in one area) on your first try. There's lots of fighting your own OCD, when something seemed simple, you solved it, but then you see that your solution is order of magnitude worse than typical one.

For a vaguely zach-like game on android, there's Human Resource Machine. It's like a simple version of TIS-100. Specechem is also on android, and it's free, you need to dl form their website and sideload the apk: http://store.zachtronicsindustries.com/spacechem/. No idea why it's not in the store anymore.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
You can spend HOURS staring at a fucking problem in Zachtronics games, and not being able to solve it.

Heh, maybe for some peabrain like DraQ but I doubt I'll have any trouble..

For a vaguely zach-like game on android, there's Human Resource Machine. It's like a simple version of TIS-100. Specechem is also on android, and it's free, you need to dl form their website and sideload the apk: http://store.zachtronicsindustries.com/spacechem/. No idea why it's not in the store anymore.

thx

Curratum

Best of luck playing Spacechem, the most monocled of all Zach games to this day still, on mobile, while you're on the John.

DraQ

Arcane
fun puzzle game for when I have 10 mins
It's not how it works.

alright fuck you then! I'll take my questions elsewhere!

bitch
You can spend HOURS staring at a fucking problem in Zachtronics games, and not being able to solve it. Maybe you need just one more instruction but there isn't room for one, maybe you need just one more variable, but there's nowhere to store it... And then, you get those moments of absolutely pure brilliance and you solve a stupidly complex puzzle with best solution (at least in one area) on your first try. There's lots of fighting your own OCD, when something seemed simple, you solved it, but then you see that your solution is order of magnitude worse than typical one.

AFAIK the android version is stripped down somewhat (no story and no boss battles).

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Door Kickers: Action Squad

A spin-off from the Door Kickers series, more action oriented and with retro pixel art. At first I was skeptical, but once I started playing with each mission I realized how good everything feels. Starting from shooting, kicking doors, blasting terrorists with flash bangs or frag grenades. We mostly deal with hostage situations, killing enemies mixed with disarming bombs. Sometimes we need to arrest a boss which is heavily guarded, and believe me when I say it's really tough. We've got 6 campaigns, each having 12 mission and one additional for those who like challenge. Action Squad smoothly adds new foes, and we learn the hard way their modus operandi. We start from easy grunts, but we are introduced to machete guys, professionals who have machine guns, suicide bombers, and more. Right now I'm in the campaign where cartel hostage killers, and the bombers...

When it comes to hostages, it's best to save all of them to get three stars at the end. They are not for virtual ego boosting, but we can unlock additional weapons and gadgets that will help us during the mission. That is why hostage killers are so horrifying and can destroy your rating. We have a couple of classes to choose from, and they gain experience by killing/rescuing/disarming and we can use supplies during the action time and get an additional vest, health or other useful stuff. Apart from exclusive upgrades, we also have one for team as well. Even if we die, the experience from what we have achieved. There is a level limit, so we can't unlock all upgrades. That encourages us to try other classes as well. Starting from Assaulter (very good and versatile), Breacher (imagine Doom guy with a shotgun that was hired to SWAT), Shield (we have only pistol, but the shield give us tremendous defense) , Agent Fergie (tried, but she is to fragile and weak), Recon (silent guy that likes gadgets), Off-duty Guy (at first funny lol class, but he can become really good).

Most of the time we won't get alive at first try during the mission. We need to learn the enemy placement, and with gained knowledge after a couple times achieve the perfect run. It will make you rage, and swear like a sober pirate, but is really worth it. Also the soundtrack made by Gavin Harrison is sweet, if you like new retro wave.

actionsquad2019-12-2133j0v.jpg

actionsquad2019-12-21qtkks.jpg

actionsquad2019-12-26l8k18.jpg

yellowcake

Arcane
I am getting hooked in. The shooty parts aren't that good but the Star Trek vibe is strong. Level design is also good if corridory. All relevant characters are voiced by TV series actors.

Look ma! A mirror in a 20 year old game!
9FeHdaM.jpg

Seven o nine perky little ass in lowpoly version
DMWtI5Z.jpg

q1GY8n7.jpg

fPvU3z6.jpg

Diversity quota black crewman has been assimilated
12Y7QnX.jpg

JlVFOVm.jpg

veckoMd.jpg

DygOA4f.jpg

another mirror! get this!
IG1VpZU.jpg

I have a date at Neelix'
tAeeIyx.jpg

8tJU3DN.jpg

eHtKQLe.jpg

on to the next mission
qz9hudG.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Look ma! A mirror in a 20 year old game!
9FeHdaM.jpg
DN3D (1996) and other Build engine games had mirrors in them. Terra Nova (also 1996) had reflective water that also distorted the image by being slightly wavy and shimmery. Unreal and Deus Ex had lots of mirrors, reflective floors, even mirrored door panes (DX).

IIRC Red Faction had mirrors but kinda shitty (low res).

yellowcake

Arcane
Yea I was being sarcastic. Watched a vid on youtube not long ago that gave reasons why we can't have mirrors in games.
Link plox?

I can't seem to find it, it had to be a deep-linked dive. There were many examples of modern games, mostly console ports, having "blind" mirrors in them. There are many in depth explanations easily found but I can't spot the one I stumbled upon.

DraQ

Arcane
Yea I was being sarcastic. Watched a vid on youtube not long ago that gave reasons why we can't have mirrors in games.
Link plox?

I can't seem to find it, it had to be a deep-linked dive. There were many examples of modern games, mostly console ports, having "blind" mirrors in them. There are many in depth explanations easily found but I can't spot the one I stumbled upon.
Has anyone shitbombed the vid with examples of functional game mirrors to the point where the author caught fire from sheer butthurt?
If yes, my further involvement is not necessary.
:obviously:

yellowcake

Arcane
Has anyone shitbombed the vid with examples of functional game mirrors to the point where the author caught fire from sheer butthurt?

I see your intentions now. Vile as is to be expected from a Wyrm :)

It was an honest effort vid that recapped the well known controversy. There were crude mirrors in old PC games, people would expect that with development of technology there would me many much better mirrors (not _reflections_ in general) in newer games but there used to be still many games with blind mirrors, either broken or taped over or otherwise made not working in an awkward way. It was noticeable as this is a meme that you go to a bathroom in a game, flush the toilet and look in a mirror over the sink and this is supposed to work as a kind of nod to DN3D.

DraQ

Arcane

It was an honest effort vid that recapped the well known controversy. There were crude mirrors in old PC games, people would expect that with development of technology there would me many much better mirrors (not _reflections_ in general) in newer games but there used to be still many games with blind mirrors, either broken or taped over or otherwise made not working in an awkward way. It was noticeable as this is a meme that you go to a bathroom in a game, flush the toilet and look in a mirror over the sink and this is supposed to work as a kind of nod to DN3D.
It's pretty puzzling, TBH, because Unreal engine already had mirrors that were anything but crude (Build's arguably were due to their limitations and hacky implementation) and shaders, later on, provided powerful means to produce optical effects.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's pretty puzzling, TBH, because Unreal engine already had mirrors that were anything but crude (Build's arguably were due to their limitations and hacky implementation) and shaders, later on, provided powerful means to produce optical effects.

Even Postal 2 has working mirrors in bathrooms.

It's always jarring when a modern game from the 2010s has mirrors be blank, unreflective surfaces, even though reflective water has been a standard since the mid-00s, too.

passerby

Arcane
Real time mirror with all old methods, one way, or another, required rendering an additional scene, huge fps drop whenever a mirror pop into field of view, bitch to optimise and most level designers believed this processing capacity is always better spent on something else.

With ray traced lighting, mirrors should be cheap enough to become a standard in games, when ray traced lighting become a standard.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom