Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

A horse of course

Dino Crisis

Launched roughly at the height of the Resident Evil craze on the original Playstation, Dino Crisis is a quasi-fixed-perspective survival horror in which a team of crack special forces do their best impression of classic B-movies on a remote island filled with hostile prehistoric lifeforms. Wise-cracking black hacker, humourless middle-aged vet, two redshirts and the sassy, black-leather redhead weapons expert Regina hunt try to extract a missing megalomaniac and escape from the island before something explodes or warps reality or something. I wasn't really paying attention.

To the best of my admittedly porous memory I hadn't touched this title up until a couple of weeks ago. I definitely recall it getting pretty heavy coverage in PS1 magazines back in the day, with the fully-3d graphics, "predator AI", and "Panic Horror" elements being promoted by Capcom. But whilst it garnered passable scores in the infamous 70-85% bracket, it never managed to distinguish itself within the genre in the way Silent Hill or Parasite Eve did, and most people were probably only ever aware of it as "Resident Evil with Raptors". Gameplay still follows the classic RE formula, with faster and more aggressive dinosaurs replacing zombies and an invulnerable T-Rex popping up to harass the player during various scripted sequences. The raptors were supposedly meant to actively hunt the player, up to and including ambushes and following blood trails left when the player fails to treat open wounds, though the only real evidence of this is a handful of unmolested enemies sometimes being teleported from one room to another based on scripted events. Enemy variety is essentially limited to raptors, very small raptors, and very fat raptors, plus a couple of brief cameos by pterodactyls (let me be the first to congratulate myself for remembering the correct spelling of that without looking it up). There are a few other minor additions to the typical playstation survival horror experience, such as early incarnations of QTEs as "danger mode" to avoid instant death or extra damage, as well as item chests now being independent of one another and locked by a finite number of "plugs" found around the facility (presumably to try and add an extra level of decision making to resource management).

Aside from the setting, the only significant deviation from RE the average player will notice is that puzzles are a much greater (and more time-consuming) element of gameplay. It's rare to find your progress blocked by a simple keyhole or card reader, for example. Typically, a locked door requires both an "input" and "decoder" item, which must then be combined to access cryptic alphabetical and numerical challenges of varying complexity. On top of these, there are plenty of memorization, mechanical and (less frequently) reaction puzzles peppered throughout each floor of the base. As someone who's never been particularly good at or patient with these in adventure games, they weren't nearly as bad as I'd heard, though there's no question that they result in some odd pacing - depending on the order in which Regina performs tasks, don't be surprised if you spend ten minutes on one puzzle, only to run straight into another of comparable length three minutes later.

Visually, the game's 3d environments scale well with HD resolutions but lack the charm and detail of pre-rendered backgrounds. CGI cutscenes are of comparable quality to other Capcom classics of the era, though the score doesn't leave much of an impression. Depending on how much time you waste running in circles, there's a good 5-7hrs of content for a first run, with the usual alternate costumes and multiple endings as an option for replays. Whilst there's nothing particularly awful about the game by the standards of its peers, it's hardly a benchmark title in the history of the console, let alone the genre as a whole. Only recommended for completionists. There are about three or four pages worth of Regina x Dinosaur art on Hentai Foundry, in case anyone was wondering.

xiZRXRX.jpg
loH4oOj.jpg
m0SnwhS.jpg
1dSzdvP.jpg
CHuNQG8.jpg
Wu5SV3M.jpg
CvrJpso.jpg
we5QEwd.jpg
oMdTQ8N.jpg
3bBeRUq.jpg
c4IalV4.jpg
xgsnhCa.jpg
1LEF226.jpg
xJ21Kew.jpg
kyqQeiC.jpg
dPm8Gc2.jpg
tVUZwob.jpg
rc3GiSw.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dungeon Siege 3

Not bad as I was predicting, but nothing amazing as well.

A simple RPG mechanics,where builds are mostly straightforward and shouldn't create any problems. I choose Katarina for a main character and paired her with Anjali for full waifu playthrough, but later on used Crispy Reinhart, because he was really effective with his magic. His efficiency most likely is even higher, when playing in co-op mode . The best loot is found mostly from enemies with some occasional chests here and there. The DLC "Treasures of The Sun" added new region with the most difficult boss fight, raised level cap to 35 and last but not least, new enchanting system which can transform items ridiculously. Looks like Josh Sawyer didn't work on this, no sir. The lore was ok, you can ignore it if you just want to continue your journey, but since I didn't finish previous games in the series I took a slow approach. The only thing that deserves a dozens of lashes is camera behavior, which made sometimes moving and attacking harder than it should be. Other than that there was no crashes and bugs that I experienced.

20180511210110_1gskgc.jpg

20180511211847_13bjvb.jpg

20180511220610_1xdke3.jpg

D975393C7C09C6FCCCFDFCFC4844BC22F2B4EE24

20180511221638_1cekcw.jpg

20180512114155_1o4j6i.jpg

20180512130006_1j5j64.jpg

20180512143021_19mkps.jpg

20180512143731_19sk8d.jpg

20180512154212_1f6jra.jpg

20180512195644_1u3j46.jpg

20180514215047_1lsjlo.jpg

20180514220501_1t4km0.jpg

A perfect "cool story bro" picture. The most difficult boss from DLC.

20180515200507_1yvjbb.jpg

20180516184353_1gkk0i.jpg

20180516194016_1igjpx.jpg

20180516200745_1zkk4e.jpg

20180518224337_17qkz1.jpg

20180519123930_1wsk65.jpg

20180519130558_174ka5.jpg

20180519133205_1cqjwg.jpg

20180519133335_1asjsu.jpg

20180519134445_1iykff.jpg

20180519134515_1pzjkm.jpg

A horse of course

There were a lot of high-falutin' plans for the story if I remember correctly, but the issue isn't just the damp narrative and lore, the issue is that they managed to fuck up a Diablo clone and make hack-and-slash somehow even more tedious. Quite a feat!

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
202165.jpg

Roman victory against Germano Gothic barbarian tribes.

Wish I had taken more pictures of this battle as it worked out really well.

202166.jpg

Here's a poor drawing of how it basically worked out. The Goths, blue, had a lot of good quality cavalry so I knew that I was bound to be flanked to death if I sent my Romans at him headfirst. Especially with his good quality horse archers, sending my infantry chasing after those would be a nightmare. So I set up my infantry, in red, to take advantage of the lake and the river, forming their line in such a way as to make sure they couldn't be flanked from behind, and ensuring he could only send a limited amount of troops at me, because they had to funnel themselves under the lake while trying to avoid the rough ground on the hill. I also formed it at an angle and placed my weaker troops at the southern point, to encourage him to send cavalry down the length to try and break through and get behind me.

Roman access to cavalry is limited, but they did have two cataphracts available, so I bought those in addition to one more high tier cavalry. Placed them, in yellow, behind the forest to hide them from view.

So it worked out almost perfectly, he sent his infantry against the northern part of my line made up by high morale Roman infantry, who kept them at bay, then sent all of his cavalry down along the length of my formation. As soon as the cavalry contacted my southern infantry I sent my own cavalry around behind him. Once my cataphracts smashed into his flank it was over.

202161.jpg

202164.jpg

Aemar

Arcane
iuAbdsv.jpg

8zCaKdT.jpg

The struggle is real. Most painful thing to do/see in this game (Dawn of Man): carrying a piece of megalithic stone to a menhir construction site.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Really close to finishing Koudelka. I've been grinding in preparation of the final boss since I was fairly underleveled (product of me running away from most encounters in Disc 3 and 4 because of how slow battles were). No joke, every battle I win I gain levels. Not sure if this is because of poor balance or a good indication that I was truly underleveled. Then again, these battles are fairly easy so I dunno. The game is really poor either way, if Baldur's Gate is a 5 out of 10 and "play it for historical reasons", then Koudelka is pretty much the same but "play it for the unique setting", except I may as well recommend people to watch a Let's Play instead.

XdIgxyI.png

Aemar

Arcane
City builder/survival similar to Banished, albeit a bit less boring and with greater potential. Early Access-ish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom