Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
[…] A Dance With Rogues […]

Well, that escalated quickly.

Oblivion with mods is actually more fun than NWN, […]

That’s the thing: if we go with mods then things aren’t equal anymore. Both games have serious flaws and both have been improved by their respective communities—even though they are both fundamentally flawed. I was evaluating both games on their own merits (the few there were, anyway).

You do make many good points, but I still wouldn’t call it the worst RPG ever. It is flawed but being based on D&D 3rd Edition eventually yielded some good things, and the tools seemed to have helped with that. After all, wouldn’t you agree that you derived some enjoyment out of it, even if it was from user-created content? I should say that “worst ever” would preclude that.

Well, if we count mods and the good user-made content, it actually contributes to NWN's badness: the way its implementation of mechanics makes everything slow, tedious and boring detracts from the goodness of the user modules. I like A Dance With Rogues so much because it focuses a lot on non-combat content, as combat in NWN is just shit and there isn't a single mod out there that manages to fix that. It's still extremely slow, you have minimal control over companions and they usually act like retards, and it's essentially Diablo with D&D rules except 10 times slower. There are plugins that speed up resting speed (thank god), but none that speed up the progress bar when unlocking doors or disarming traps, so thief activities are still tedious (because apparently this is hardcoded). You are pretty much forced to use Cheat Engine's speedhack to make the game waste less of your time with idiotic design decisions.

NWN mods are good despite the game they run on, not because of it. Apart from ADWR, I also enjoyed Swordflight, but had many situations where I almost ragequit during the more difficult dungeon crawl sections. Playing a fighter-rogue I'm pretty good at most things, including combat, but in some places encounters are quite tough and you get a crossbow-wielding thief girl as a companion, and a spellcaster. The thief girl would always stay within enemy threat ranges and fire her crossbow, constantly provoking AoOs and killing herself in the process. The caster would always blow his best spells out against mobs that I could've dealt with on my own, so he ends up not having enough left for the tough boss encounter. It's frustrating and the exact opposite of fun. And it could be extremely fun if only you had direct control of your party members.

NWN's gameplay is fundamentally flawed and a lot of these flaws are hardcoded so modders haven't been able to fix them. So even the greatest NWN mods are dragged down by how utterly fucking shit the game is. I could've enjoyed my favorite NWN modules even more if only the game's gameplay systems were better. Dragging down top notch user content by having utterly shit systems does qualify it for being one of the worst RPGs ever made, even more so than some Russian shovelware games that are plain bad but never had mods made for them (no good user content for them to drag down).

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Few random shots from Dishonored 2. I love the art style in this game, but the environments are generally kind of drab and that ruins it a little. At least some of the interiors are grand.

XrSvA2P.jpg

eqkw8Lo.jpg

Q78mGr6.jpg

yhKPLdl.jpg

51byXdl.jpg

HOCRLn4.jpg

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Thats Zeno Clash, innit?
Yup.
Any good? Been planning on giving it a shot one of these days.
It's a brawler-shooter hybrid and a pretty good one at that. The kicking mechanic is very reminiscent of Dark Messiah but without all the convenient extreme ledges. The real draw of the game is the bizarre story, atmosphere and art design though, and that's top notch. Would be worth playing it just for that alone even if the gameplay was shit, and it isn't. It's a pretty short game though.

Division 2. If you interact with the murals you get a history lesson while you pop moles. I wasn't paying a lot of attention, I think he was a vampire hunter or something?

F34Rabv.jpg

Collateral damage, a guy with a bag of explosives was standing near the statue. Nothing personal, Abe.

HJPz1E2.jpg

tldr.png

fVe0kqW.jpg

keep on truckin

obqf2jj.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom