Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blood - The Way Of Ira. Great episode which is still in 0.9 version, but is playable to the end.

javaw2019-09-2919-27-euj0e.jpg

javaw2019-09-2918-09-19kat.jpg

The Red Knight

Erudite
Price for Freedom
pia7VGc.jpg
bRRQ3P1.jpg

OZ5dCYm.jpg

The game claims the sex scenes all make sense lore-wise and then a succubus demon suddenly reveals itself midway through the dungeon escape, rapes your hero and forces him to be her slave.
L2JXnra.png

^I'm getting some rendering bug where things like these happen and most scene transitions (like changing locations or going into/out of battle) may freeze the visuals on the last seen frame, so I didn't feel like playing much further. At least the game heavily autosaves at every opportunity so it doesn't cause you to replay areas or battles.
7nOMTl3.jpg

I'm not sure how the combat works exactly, but through applying the Matsayev's method one can tell that each unit has several body parts (targetting them is sometimes a case of minor pixel hunt) and attacking specific ones repeatedly lowers their armor (armor may block weak attacks completely), and then you balance between applying debuffs and crit damage by maiming them (body part reaches zero HP)...
dnFFmSz.jpg

... and reaching the state where the enemy gets some death sentence status on a given body part (attacking which will then kill them; I think it's for stuff like heads and vital organs but I wasn't able to reliably replicate it).

You may also see some enemies fighting out of battle, on the map - if you leave them be, eventually one side will kill the other, but you may engage them and get into a three-sided battle.
tKBzIg0.jpg

You get to equip up to five combat skills (+ up to 4 consumables) for each character. The first skill of your hero is upgradeable (currently you can max it in the first dungeon if you find all EXP sources, so it's probably a WIP), the rest you just unlock. There are some defensive skills but they seem underwhelming in comparison with attack ones - there's a powerful jump attack that you can use at any time by just moving two hexes away from the opponent, a power strike dealing consistent high damage, a fast thrust you can pair with some other attack (most attacks end your turn), and a flurry for a weaker attack on multiple limbs simultaneously, and you're already out of skill slots if you get these + the upgradeable skill.

HP appears to regenerate after each battle, but getting heavily wounded or knocked out seems to lower it for all the following battles until the next rest point.

Endemic

Arcane
That texture filtering looks godawful, man. I don't understand how people prefer that smeared out mess over crispy sprites.

It's the default Openxcom graphics filter, which as far as I know is mostly anti-aliasing the jagged edges. I turned it on mainly because the text is easier on the eyes that way. There are numerous filters you can choose from, including CRT and scanline options.

Filters off:

blockzhkg4.png

The sprites weren't even that great for their time, much less now. If there was a good remake of them in higher detail and resolution I'd take it. The inventory sprites for TFTD ended up coming out worse than the UFO Defense ones, as well.

YldriE

Learned
Scanlines were a technological certainty back then so all artists worked with them in mind to create an illusion of sharpness, depth and fullness. Even the very specific screenshot you're commenting looks like the second is really how it was envisioned, the background and front elements are egalized and harmonized in such a way that it must look superb on an actual CRT.

Of course if you "prefer" pixel-perfect rendering then the point is moot, you can't argue tastes and preferences, but if you never use filters, at least give yourself a one-week trial and see how it goes.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dead of the Brain

A horror themed visual novel developed by Fairytale for MSX and PC Engine. I heard a couple of times about this, but since it was only available in Japanese I didn't even bother to try it. Until I heard, that some fan made English translation. It's a glorious schlocky story, with obvious influences like Re-animator and Zombies, plus some mystery and a plot twist at the end. Mostly we use "LOOK" and "TALK" options, that we need to exhaust to progress through the story. Sometimes we have simple puzzles, like finding a code for a safe or something to go through a dark area. After finding a gun, we have some quick decision moments, where we need to shoot zombies. Nice music, great pixel art with some really gruesome gore and last, but not least - anime tiddies. This version is uncensored, so you can dive in and see it all. Overall it was a nice distraction, considering how short it feels compared to other titles.

There is a sequel, which starts right after the first part, but from what I have checked, there is only a version with moon runes for the time being.

Here is a link, if someone is interested. The game operates on custom dosbox version, and you will have to swap disks as well with ctrl+alt+d combination when prompted (the first swap is being signalized by translator).

dosbox-x_skpepuee8ihijfl.jpg

dosbox-x_wjkrfdwpq8ujj0o.jpg

dosbox-x_kbmuyheiqek6jd9.jpg

dosbox-x_sced2vsgffrwjxe.jpg

dosbox-x_du4x13etbl7mklt.jpg

dosbox-x_boozr1cnrveojdm.jpg

dosbox-x_dsix2qkdujnfkt6.jpg

dosbox-x_7rs9g7upljrykt4.jpg

dosbox-x_mwba13n49k40jej.jpg

dosbox-x_qczkqevbxo0nkq5.jpg

dosbox-x_6sgbskubkgmgk34.jpg

dosbox-x_hhyav8cqol52jst.jpg

dosbox-x_b2eemkg7l6bnk1u.jpg

dosbox-x_6a7e2tx6octykgz.jpg

dosbox-x_h9uhgcgntjejkq3.jpg

dosbox-x_1rirffxgmr18j1c.jpg

dosbox-x_xp6j5kxqnc5vjs3.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
Damn, those alien bastards are gonna pay for...

g59pMcZ.png

D'OH!

4oTNGYs.png

I heard this game is hard, so I'm playing this on Lightly Broiled, saving Well Done for later. But after playing through the first 2 episodes, it's hard only because of those hitscanner cultists.

snKG5Qh.png

Oh, it's just me.

0PJBvBt.png

Babes.

CU5cWnK.png

Ytib6fL.png

8qZfESW.png

7lepjLq.png

p4NXfYm.png

Just like home.

vvfA8KU.png

giphy.gif

kdZ2WTe.jpg

episode 2 > episode 1

Citizen

How is it?
Wanted to try it, but kept reading that the AI is very passive and shitty.

AI is very passive and shitty, but it is so in any other fantasy 4x I have ever played :lol:

My main complain about this game is a boring research tree and a lot of tedious micromanagement. (See the screenshots: did you hate building them farms manually in civ2? There you have to first manually build it and then manually update it 5 times by assigning an engineer to the tile. And then update the road 3 times same way).

It's still pretty good, has nice tactical combat, glorious city improvement tree, lots of units that can be equipped with items individually and some cool spells. If you enjoy MoM-style LARPfest and can ignore the fact that AI is dumb as dirt, then it's well worth the money

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom