Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview See Pete Hines! Fallout 3 video interview.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href="http://au.gamespot.com/video/933103/6190310/videoplayerpop?">GameSpot have used amazing video technology to capture the essence of Pete Hines and display him in the flesh for all to see</a>. I can't just skim read it and quote interesting bits so here's a brief run-down on what they say:
<br>
<blockquote>They're in Alpha mode.
<br>
Most everything's in the game and they're messing with it. Still adding some things.
<br>
They talk about the growing up bit, you see yourself being born but none of the naughty bits.
<br>
Wanted it to be fun way to ease you in to the game. Asked if they wanted to do that a different way. Pete says they built on what they did in Oblivion re: first dungeon / walk-through tutorial area.
<br>
Guided through start by Liam Neeson and the interviewer says "sort of similar to what happens with Patrick Stewart's character in Oblivion" and he asked if they copied that deliberately.
<br>
Liam leads you through the game(?)
<br>
Talk about DogMeat. You can have him and one whole human companion.
<br>
If you're good, you can only have a good companion, or if evil only an evil companion.
<br>
You can find better weapons or repair them yourself which is a choice.
<br>
Talk about Perception and how it effects how you can see.
<br>
Stats affect ability to use stuff and how you can use VATS and target people.
<br>
Can visit a lot of iconic elements in Washington. Can go all the way to the top of the Washington Monument.
<br>
They're still slated for Fall 2008 release. Simultaneous release on Xbox, PS3 and PC in Europe and US.
<br>
No demo. The whole world loads seamlessly and it's not something they can cut-up and give you a slice of.
<br>
Building towards a 25 hour game. Side quests extra.
<br>
Can see them using downloadable content, not working on that right now.</blockquote>
<br>
It's 20 minutes long and the good stuff doesn't start until 8:24.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</a>

Texas Red

Whiner
Good and Evil companions, eh?

Also, what's the big deal with dogmeat? They always mention it as if though it is a major feature. It's just some dog FFS!

Hory

Erudite
I watched a couple of videos of Pete for the first time, a few days ago, and it changed a bit the way I view the whole PR/fans war.

I mean, he's just doing his job, he pretty much knows what he's talking about and he believes in what he says. On the other hand, Hines has to repeatedly put up with one-track minded obnoxious nerds oblivious to the workings of the game industry or game design, pestering him with dismissive mantras such as "this feature is different! from Fallout" and cherry-picking like hyenas all the little weaknesses they can gnaw on, to the point of wanting FO3 to suck, so that they're proved right.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
They always mention it as if though it is a major feature. It's just some dog FFS!
I guess they're used to playing something like Final Fantasy or something where party members never die. Don't know why they're making such a big deal out of Dogmeat staying dead, features like this have been in games for years. I think that Fire Emblem way back on the NES even had allies that stayed dead.

I actually feel sorry for Pete. Having to answer the same damned retarded questions over and over for every interview he goes to.

Ratty

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
It's 20 minutes long and the good stuff doesn't start until 8:24.
You mean eight and half minutes until the first sex scene? What kind of a shitty pedo clip is that?

I mean, he's just doing his job, he pretty much knows what he's talking about and he believes in what he says. On the other hand, Eichmann has to repeatedly put up with one-track minded obnoxious untermensch oblivious to the workings of the racial impurities or the master race, pestering him with dismissive mantras such as "this is immoral" and cherry-picking like hyenas all the little weaknesses they can gnaw on, to the point of wanting humanity to not be the best they can be, so that they're proved right.

Even though it's likely sarcasm, I still want to rip your argument's rectum a new one.....

Anywho...after the little substitution bit...I don't have a problem with Pete as a human being. Probably is a fun guy to hang out with, maybe knock a few back or something...who knows. I'm sure he's pretty good family man as well. The thing is, the fan hate comes with the job. He could easily go to another job in marketing with roughly equivalent standards and pay with his qualifications and experience, maybe even another gaming company if he really loves that stuff. Don't paint him as a martyr though, he can get out any time. It's his choice, and we're his consequence.

denizsi

Arcane
On one hand, it's easy to think that he's good at his job and on the other hand, I suspect the intelligence level of the target audience would really require a quality of the kind.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Shannow said:
Guy Cocker? Poor Sob.

I still don't buy their excuses for not releasing a demo...

Whatever for? Surely not because almost every other seamless open world game has had a demo including Daggerfall?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hines struck me as a nice guy, to be honest. He's PR, and that makes it his job to lie, and that's not nice, but y'know, just as a guy, he's probably a pretty ok dude. Just someone whose professional career consists of lying. But hell, there's plenty of people like that...

The Walkin' Dude said:
Also, what's the big deal with dogmeat? They always mention it as if though it is a major feature. It's just some dog FFS!

Near as I could always figure, Bethesda's PR is kind of a slave to some mystical overarching schedule, and they make focus points for interviews and demos. The last batch was all broad stuff, VATS and shitz. The focus point of this demo was character creation + Dogmeat + some extra violence and scenery. For some reason all the previews focused on the first two things, less on the last part.

Anyway, yeah, that means we get a wave of 24 previews talking about how great it is that Fallout 3 has the immersive experience of crawling out of your mother's womb in first person view only to go out and find your best friend in the world is a retard dog.

tunguska

Liturgist
Most everything's in the game
IOW the game art is almost complete. They just need to tweak the bloom. They aren't releasing a demo, because that's all the game is really going to be. A demonstation of some possibly cool looking graphics. And maybe 15 minutes of repetitive kiddie play.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Murrow for the Godwin and the score.

What the fuck does anyone expect anymore from any PR hack, much less the guys ruining Fallout? Horseshit is what they fucking do. Spin, bullshit and offer overblown promises and false expectactions. It is in the job description.

I think the impressive thing is that they can manage to spin anything at all into sounding positive given their recent track record. Of course what they have given that sounds positive or good about FO3 to date eludes me, but there is prolly something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom