Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Seeing Red: The Story of CD Projekt (and how they almost went bankrupt)

"I know more about the engine, than a developer who worked on them. R00fles!"

Okay Pretty Princess. Now go back to discussing Tali sweat or whatever it is you fanboys do on BSN.

Rake

Arcane
So, the are EXACTLY the same? L0LLIGAGZ!
The same engine doesn't mean the exactly same. Skyrim's engine is the same as Oblivion's, and the same as Morrowind's, but they are not EXACTLY the same.

Duraframe300

Arcane
ITT fanboys think they know more about engines than a professional game programmer

That'd be the first time I was a Bioware fanboy.

And Anthony still doesn't talk about about JE ( I'm sure JE reuses as well, before you use that). Though I haven't been able to find the original article/interview referencing it.

So, I'm gonna drop it.

Rake

Arcane
ITT fanboys think they know more about engines than a professional game programmer

And Anthony still doesn't talk about about JE ( I'm sure JE reuses as well, before you use that). Though I haven't been able to find the original article/interview referencing it.

So, I'm gonna drop it.
He is talking about Volourn

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I can see a fair bit of historical revisionism going on here. CDP were not the people who started selling cheap editions to poor potatoes. Computer game magazines did (mainly our beloved cda) and they simply had to "draw inspiration" to compete, but not without showing a hailstorm of butthurt first.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I can see a fair bit of historical revisionism going on here. CDP were not the people who started selling cheap editions to poor potatoes. Computer game magazines did (mainly our beloved cda) and they simply had to "draw inspiration" to compete, but not without showing a hailstorm of butthurt first.

Yes but CDA is best left forgotten even if they did bring both Fallouts to the potato masses. Also most of the games the magazines sold with were ass. You'd get two or three good ones a year at best. The fallouts were an exception rather than the rule.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Sorry, but lolno, we are not talking about last decade, we are talking both Fallouts, Homeworld, Alone in the Dark games, M.A.X., Close Combat games, Jagged Alliance 2, Total Annihilation, HoMM, Prisoner of Ice, Unreal, Heretic 2 - and these are just examples from the top of my head, you can probably find the whole list on the net somewhere. And the titles aren't really the point here. The point is that CDP are not the people who came up with the idea of cheap editions, they were forced into it by magazines who showed that you can sell good games for 15 potato with magazine and additional cd contents to boot. CDP had to comply, but of course not without getting butthurt about "ruining the market" first.

Edit: btw, even stuff like localization of Fallout came to be only because they wanted to have a selling point and cash on the popularity brought on by cda's release.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Zbój's right. Whatever bad stuff can be said about CDA, they really did attach a fuckton of really good games back in the day.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Well. hope all success with CDP on their development on Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk. And this talk of magazines brings me back to Computer Gaming World that mind you, didn't reach the zenith of sublime with bundling classic games but contained a executable to install the latest version of MPlayer (because bandwidth was so precious back in the day) but had snippets of midi files of 7th Guest and Loom that I loved much.

Charging fair prices for a product and still get very rich and influential now, and at the leading edge of commanding a sizable publicity on a rather spartan genre on the next generation consoles and beyond? What a novel concept and who could've thunk it? Publishers and copyright peddlers are hell bent on eradicating piracy nowadays, but the Poles already did that in the yawning days of implementing free market economy after decades of communism and already succeeded!

But if taking advantage of workarounds for DOS games for GOG and not properly crediting the teams or individuals and their hard work is true, that is quite unfortunate. Pay the potato forward, for more...potato.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

So, I'm gonna drop it.
http://jadeempire-modding.wikia.com/wiki/Jade_Empire_Modding_Wiki
Large parts of Jade Empire's engine are identical to earlier Bioware titles and lots of modding knowledge from the olden days still applies.
How to tell if a Bioware game is or isn't using the Infinity Engine as a base: Does it support room over room? If not, IE.

Duraframe300

Arcane

So, I'm gonna drop it.
http://jadeempire-modding.wikia.com/wiki/Jade_Empire_Modding_Wiki
Large parts of Jade Empire's engine are identical to earlier Bioware titles and lots of modding knowledge from the olden days still applies.
How to tell if a Bioware game is or isn't using the Infinity Engine as a base: Does it support room over room? If not, IE.

Yeah, I saw that. As I said I'm sure code was reused/previous as base.

Eh, maybe I'm just misremembering. Can't seem to find the article anyway. It was some sort of retrospective and included an interview with an engine programmer IIRC.

Saying that they are all IE engine the same is like saying that Source Engine of 2013 is basically Quake Engine because Half-Life was using a modified version of licensed Quake Engine and Source Engine is based on improvements made on Half-Life over time, so it's the same thing really.

Except not.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Idiots. Using a very basic base code doesn't mean it is the exactly the same engine. Get over it. JE is NOT using the IE. FFS

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You suckers have never seen Bytom.
Or Walbrzych
walbrzych2.jpg
286.jpg

276d779bcecb4189ff3a0fabb7abad15.jpg
Nowa Huta, anyone?
Nowa_huta_kobatant%C3%B3w.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
z10529003Q,Nowa-Huta.jpg

Nowa Huta is pearl of Soc Realism architecture and such brutalist architecture you can find in every post soviet era city; Reset and PC-Gamer anyone? they included tons of good games which were cheaper than pirates; CD Red was not the pioneer of :incline:; although their potatozations were much better than shit we got today from EA-Poland and such. :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom