Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Sega is Working on a “String of High Quality PC Ports”

Barbarian

Arcane
It's cool, but I'm really hoping for some Yakuza, Shenmue, and hell... maybe Panzer Dragoon.
:?

Panzer Dragoon was cool. Another franchise abandoned by Sega "just because". Eventually all they will have is Sonic, and they are insisting into turning it into furfaggotry.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I already have the Sega Megadrive Classics thing on Steam. I guess I'd have to rebuy this shit just to use a Frontend ?

if answer == yes then
{fuck(this);}

Alex

Arcane
And here's the first effort to quality PC port since VC: http://www.sega.co.uk/news/sega-mega-drive-classics-hub

GET READY TO LOAD THE SEGA MEGA DRIVE CLASSICS HUB

You may have been wondering why in recent weeks we have been quizzing you on SEGA Central about your favourite MEGA Drive/Genesis Characters, Games, Memories & giving away themed swag… That’s because we’re celebrating the launch of the new SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub releasing as a free update on Steam, get ready to load on April 28th.

The new-look system is based on a bedroom of an early nineties SEGA fan with dynamic time-of-day conditions, retro SEGA paraphernalia, a shelf full of MEGA Drive games (including the ones you own) and of course a CRT TV! That’s not all, every single MEGA Drive game will now feature Steam Workshop support allowing you to share modified versions of your favourite retro SEGA titles!

In addition to these new features, the new SEGA Mega Drive hub also includes;
  • spot-on emulation
  • local co-op for games that support it
  • optional graphic enhancement filters
  • the ability to save at any point in the gameplay
  • full controller / keyboard support
The following games will be accessible through the new hub on release - if you already own these games, just wait for the update & press start!

I think it's cool.

Can you take the rom out and use it with other emulators?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
It's cool, but I'm really hoping for some Yakuza, Shenmue, and hell... maybe Panzer Dragoon.
:?

Panzer Dragoon was cool. Another franchise abandoned by Sega "just because". Eventually all they will have is Sonic, and they are insisting into turning it into furfaggotry.
Eeeh, Panzer Dragoon (the first one) had a PC port. Can't be arsed to check how it works, though.
Also, SEGA ported Enemy Zero to PC, which was kinda okay-ish for a direct Sega Saturn port with come minor enhancements.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I would be extremely shocked if Shenmue 1&2 HD weren't happening in the next two years.
Also, there are fair odds of new Yakuza games coming on PC since the last one was announced as a "PS4 _console_ exclusive."

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
The Shenmue 3 guys might not be able to do Shenmue 1&2 HD, but I'm pretty sure Sega will. They'd be stupid not to, they can enjoy the momentum.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Wow. If this means they officially encourage sharing ROM hacks, pretty...radical.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So the Hub update is out now. It's...pretty cute.

Someone already posted a video here:

And yes, Workshop support is all about sharing Romhacks: http://steamcommunity.com/app/34270/workshop/

The mod tool allows you to upload any Genesis/Megadrive compatible ROM to the workshop

SEGA will be checking the workshop to make sure that unrelated games aren't just uploaded with no changes, but we wanted the system to be as open as possible apart from that =)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
This hub thing is such a stupid gimmick. You can't pump the gfx too much or it starts to stutter :lol:

Also mine was glitched and the TV/Console didn't work. At least the old launcher is still there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sega is still working on a string of PC ports (01:18):

In other news:

The popularity of SEGA’s Mega Drive and Genesis line-up has just hit its highest point since the early 90’s! Following the launch of the SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Hub on Steam on the 28 th April, over 350,000 Mega Drive and Genesis titles have been purchased on Steam by fans worldwide looking to either experience this classic content for the first time, or take advantage of the all-new Steam Workshop modding support implemented with the free update.

o_O

GrainWetski

Arcane
AARON: Is there any possibility that Vanquish will get a PC version?
KOTAKU: It would be a good idea to release Vanquish on PC.
INABA: (smiling) Hrm. I wonder... If you stop recording, I can talk about that. (laughs)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The whole part about their (or Inaba's) view on PC gaming is quite interesting:

KOTAKU: It’s long been that the Japanese games industry has been centered around consoles. But you’ve just mentioned how you are interested in releasing titles on PC. Do you think the Japanese game industry has changed regarding PC?

INABA: Perhaps. But to be honest, we’re good friends with Valve and often go to their studio. We go there, hang out, talk about many different things, and we are very interested in Steam and would definitely like to release games on Windows. Right now, we’re at a place in which publishers ask us to make titles. So, if the publisher doesn’t want to release a PC version, then there won’t be a PC version. It really comes down to that.

AARON: Is there any possibility that Vanquish will get a PC version?

KOTAKU: It would be a good idea to release Vanquish on PC.

INABA: (smiling) Hrm. I wonder... If you stop recording, I can talk about that. (laughs)

KOTAKU: Platinum Games is very much a global game studio. If you compare Platinum to, say, your typical Japanese studio, Platinum seems very different.

INABA: Thank you very much.

KOTAKU: Like, in Japan, there really aren’t that many game companies that say they want to make PC versions.

INABA: That certainly seems to be true. I think the reason for that is that in Japan, the PC versions don’t sell much. Outside Japan, they do, but within the country, they do not. But, if you look aboard, everyone is playing on the PC. It’s something you cannot ignore.

KOTAKU: So, do you think because Platinum Games has had the opportunity to hang out at Valve that there has been some kind of influence?

INABA: Well, when we go to Valve, they’re always showing us new things, such as Steam VR while it was still in development. It was quite impressive.

http://kotaku.com/whats-next-after-10-years-of-platinum-games-1784805907

Ivan

Arcane
would love to give Vanquish another go. now with 60 fps
376328.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/23/sega-amplitude-pc-publisher/

RPS: There’s a trend of big publishers having a smaller indie branch – things like the Square Enix Collective, EA Originals – is that something you’re interested in?

Post: Yes. We have an initiative internally called Sega Searchlight. It’s another one of our pillars. The name tells you what it is – it’s a way of searching for the best products, and a good example is Playsport. Motorsport Manager is, we believe, a fantastic game, which can definitely work on PC. We can make it bigger than it is at the moment and it can grow into a pillar over time.

We’ll have more announcements from the Searchlight team. It could be supporting smaller studios and startups, it could be PC ports. We’re looking at all of the content from the Sega catalogue and asking, “can we bring it back?” and how would we do that? Not just simple ports, but focusing on quality.

RPS: You have a lot of IPs, of course, some of which we haven’t seen for a long time.

Post: We have different initiatives around the older Sega IPs. The Megadrive Collection is one of those, for the people who want to play retro games. But then we have games like Shenmue, which was pretty much at the top of every list of titles that people wanted to see revived. We have more though and we’re constantly looking at them.

We have some great IPs coming out next year and we’ll have announcements toward the end of this year about some of those. New versions of old games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom