Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Sega is Working on a “String of High Quality PC Ports”

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Someone on youtube said Vanquish is a better version of Gears of War. Any truth to that?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Someone on youtube said Vanquish is a better version of Gears of War. Any truth to that?
what the fuck? Dont even put them on the same sentence. Vanquish is masterclass of tps while gears of wars pretty much single handedly popularized popamole design and it isnt even the first oen that invented cover based shooter.

Bahamut

Arcane
Me seeing 25% discount for Bayonetta owners
QONVIyz.gif

Good fucking job Sega

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is this something I'd enjoy if I also liked Binary Domain?
Yeah, although they feel very different, they're both stylish, campy, with some fun gunplay.

Although Vanquish's gunplay is freaking ace. Haven't really played anything like it since.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS VANQUISH IS LIKE GEARS OF WAR BUT ROCKET SLIDINGH PAST EXPLOSIONS AND ROBOTS AND A MILLIIOON BULLETS COMING AT YOU
AND THEN YLU GET INTO COVER BUT ONLY TO SMOKE A CIGAREEETTE

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcinvasion.com/sega-pc-ports-interview-with-sega-europes-john-clark

PCI: How has Bayonetta been doing, sales-wise? Is the SteamSpy estimate of 160,000 owners anywhere close?

JC: It’s not far off, I think we’re just over 170,000 currently. We’re really happy with the performance and response from the fans on the forums.

PCI: Whenever Shenmue has come up as a potential future HD PC release, licensing issues have been cited. Is that accurate? What are the particular licensing issues there?

JC: Whenever you’re considering re-releasing games from the catalogue you assess everything from technology licences, music licences, voice over artist agreements, in game assets and so on. The more there are, there more time it takes to check.

PCI: SEGA now seem committed to releasing PC ports on a fairly consistent basis, can we expect even more in the semi-near future?

JC: You can.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looking at SteamDB history, Bayonetta's codename is Papaya, Vanquish is Pineapple. Is this the convention for SEGA's PC port initiative, or Platinum's? Can we expect Mango, Banana, Avocado, and more?

JC: You can.

Arvennios

Novice
I hope they consider porting the Yakuza series to PC, I don't have a PS3, so I greatly enjoyed the good PC port of Valkyria Chronicles.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope they consider porting the Yakuza series to PC, I don't have a PS3, so I greatly enjoyed the good PC port of Valkyria Chronicles.
It would also make playing through the series way easier since getting Yakuza on PS3 costs an above-average amount. At least for Yakuza 3 & 5.

Vanquish is pretty good, it was obviously misunderstood by the lolgamingmedia at the time it came out because cunts thought you were supposed to play it as a popamole cover shooter, when in fact you're supposed to abuse the fuck out of the game's bullet time and dashing mechanic.

It's not exactly a monocled game, but it's pretty good and you can play it for score - meaning you can actually get good at it. There are underlying mechanics that are satisfying and you don't feel like a mongoloid playing the game, which is more than you can say for most third person shooters. I liked it a lot more than Binary Domain, which seems to be the benchmark for jap TPS around here.

I think it's highly unlikely that Sega will bring Yakuza to the PC - they probably have a deal with Sony for that series. However, past franchises that have been forgotten like Panzer Dragoon seem likely - I'd personally really like a Panzer Dragoon Orta port (especially as part of a collection including the first two games), and Virtua Fighter Final Showdown (even though it's a billion years old at this point, it's still unlikely).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Not directly related to the console-to-PC ports, but it seems like SEGA (Europe) really devoted to strengthen their PC-centric publisher position.

SEGA announced today they signs publishing deal with a studio formed by former Lionhead devs. The studio is apparently working on "the fun, deep and elegantly crafted business management sims, that we used to make at Bullfrog & Lionhead" for PC. The game will be revealed at early 2018.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Looks like Vanquish vanished from the top seller list. Bayo remained strong for some time. Here's hoping that Vanquish's poor sales won't discourage further ports.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I think it's highly unlikely that Sega will bring Yakuza to the PC - they probably have a deal with Sony for that series. However, past franchises that have been forgotten like Panzer Dragoon seem likely - I'd personally really like a Panzer Dragoon Orta port (especially as part of a collection including the first two games), and Virtua Fighter Final Showdown (even though it's a billion years old at this point, it's still unlikely).
Just so you know, the original Panzer Dragoon is available for PC and from what I know it's a pretty competent port with few to no issues on modern systems.
884_488709a1a0a96.jpg

Just so you know, the original Panzer Dragoon is available for PC and from what I know it's a pretty competent port with few to no issues on modern systems.

I'm aware of the port of the first Panzer Dragoon for Windows, it was released back during the big Sega push for PowerVR-based cards (1997 or so). It's a very barebones port, although it does run at a higher resolution compared to the Saturn version and therefore looks cleaner. As far as I'm aware you can't purchase it anywhere and Sega hasn't been collecting money for it in ages.

What I was thinking about was a deluxe collection with enhanced ports of the first two games (unlocked framerate, touched up models/textures, etc. - similar to the Sega Ages PS2 release; the original versions would of course be included) and Panzer Dragoon Orta (mainly Orta, really, which you can't play at all if you don't own a Microsoft console - plus it's arguably the best game in the entire series). I don't have any hopes for a Panzer Dragoon Saga port, since the source code was lost.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
what the fuck? Dont even put them on the same sentence. Vanquish is masterclass of tps while gears of wars pretty much single handedly popularized popamole design and it isnt even the first oen that invented cover based shooter.
kill.switch is the better version of Gears of War, in fact it was designed by the same guy (Chris Esaki). IIRC WinBack was the first cover-based shooter, no?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/yakuza-and-persona-are-on-that-list-of-games-sega-want-to-bring-to-pc/

Yakuza and Persona are 'on that list' of games Sega wants to bring to PC
"Of course it's something we're talking about it… that would just be incredible to bring that to the PC audience."

Despite neglecting our platform of choice for long enough, the number of Japanese-born console games being ported to PC has risen quite significantly in recent years. In 2017 alone, Sega has delivered both Vanquish and Bayonetta to desktops which has us wondering: which games might be next?

Speaking to John Clark, Sega Europe's senior vice president of commercial publishing, at E3, our Samuel asked that very question.

"If I asked you to write me a list of ten games you want Sega to bring out on PC, it probably isn't any different from the list [we have]," says Clark. "I could ask anyone at Sega: write me a list. And what motivates it? I think there's a certain catalogue that people just have an affinity with.

"If you send [your] list over I'll tell you which ones we can tick, which ones are on our list, which ones are possibilities, which ones are not possibilities, which ones we've talked about, which ones we're talking about, which ones we're working on, you know, they'll be on that list."

It seems Sega is conscious of community expectation, then, something the company itself has somewhat perpetuated with the porting of the aforementioned fan-favoured classics. So, is a game like Yakuza one that might fit that purview?

"It's on that list," continues Clark. "Of course something we're talking about it… that would just be incredible to bring that to the PC audience."

When pressed about Persona, Clark echoes the above. "Of course, of course—I keep trying to get in ahead of you, I'm trying to guess what you're going to say next. We don't feel that anything is off the table in terms of these conversations. The fact that as an organisation we're having these healthy conversations, they're constructive, we recognise the value, we recognise the value of the community, the IP. The IP has got continued life to grow and get bigger."

Nothing confirmed, then, but I'm suddenly very confident we'll see the likes of Yakuza and Persona on PC sooner rather than later. Speaking to the former, though, how would Sega approach release as far as the chronology of the series is concerned? The original 2005 game was remastered and launched in Japan last year—named Yakuza Kiwami—and is due to launch on PS4 in the west this year. Would that mean prequel Yakuza 0 comes first, followed by the remade original—or would Sega stick to the schedule as per its console run? Speculate away in the comments below.

And before you go—keep your eyes peeled for Samuel's interview in full which offers some really interesting insights into the process of porting Japanese games.

Momock

Augur
"Nothing confirmed" :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom