Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The hero used the grappling hook in the knight bossfight. I'm excited to see more about the combat.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I for one am mildly hyped. Considering how much From declined in my eyes after DS3 I am happy to see they managed to surprise me.

Stealth, more freedom of movement and all the other notable and welcome additions give me the impression they are noticing their formula is getting tired. Specially considering other studios are starting to do what From has been doing but better. So From decided to experiment and take risks. And I like it.

But Bloodborne was supposed to be only gothic horror with werewolves and shit and we than we got Ayylmaos and Lovecraft out of no where so i hope for some twist in the setting.

Also this.

I just hope they've finally fixed the collision detection...

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
they are noticing their formula is getting tired.

A nice reminder you may need is that the only reason there is three DS games is because Bandai Namco contracted them to do so. Dark Souls 1 would not have been funded if there was no promise of a DS2 and DS3. Although there's no revolution from DS to Bloodborne, BB is still the fresher game over the two DS sequels precisely because they didn't have to care about a previous game setting.

Seems like this time they haven't handed their IP to someone else, which is good news.

Seems that 4chan leak was right. So here's everything that said:

- The game will be souls like in gameplay and atmosphere, but also different by being a lot more open, not having the clear level/Boss design and a more directly told story.​

-it will appear at E3 with a full length trailer and some gameplay​

-it will draw inspiration from both Bloodborne and Fromsoftware's old Ps2 game Kuon​

-gameplay is similar to Bloodborne, but more vicious and brutal. It's a bit less wild, but still fast. Kinda like a combination of Nioh/Bloodborne.​

-there are skills in this game, including different melee moves, passives and magic. It wont have endless skill trees and the skills wont be big flashy diablo style attacks, just new moves and abilities.​

-trick weapons make another appereance, but aren't called trick weapons. Some weapons have 3 forms, others have 2 and there are many weapons that are always 2 handed or 2 part, as there are no side arms or shields.

-the story will be centered around an ancient cult, that has been using farmers for their dark rituals since hundreds of years. As they fear the end of the world, they sacrifice peopla at their shrine of blood and experiment on people. Many of the creatures will be the result of the experiments. It remains unclear for most of the game, whether the cult is really evil or knows more than everyone else. Only a few members are still alive, as the rest has mysteriously vanished.

-you start the game as a heavily maimed and disfigured person at the edge of death. You are saved by a mysterious leader who gives you a new face (character creation) and replaces your missing arm.

-the right arm and it will be replaced by an multifunctional device, which serves as a prothetic arm most of the time, but can also be used a some kind of grappling gun to reach higher levels

-the game will take in a dark fantasy world, resembeling ancient Japan.

-the game will heavily draw from Japan mythology with a horror twist. It will not completely based on mythology and still include many original ideas.

-there are no shields, but you can block and counter with your weapon.

-every weapon has a unique counter ability

-enemies will often loose limbs or there heads in combat. Some enemies will spawn parasites from ther beheaded selves, somewhat like Resident Evil 4.

-you can climb in the game

-some enemie designs and the atmosphere really resemble a modern Kuon in parts, but it has nothing to do with this game or will play anything like it. Expect one easter egg.

-most of the game will take place in rural places, but there will be a bigger city to explore later

-the game is more open world than the previous titles, but not fully like Skyrim. It offers multiple inter connected levels, that are much larger with multiple possible paths that give the game a lot

-there are no invasions, but you can enter the world of another player and take control of a monster in his world. The monster is a random creature from the level that will get a slight upgrade. Only possibe in certain passages of the game

-there is no coop as the game has a stronger focus on exploring and isn't a clear cut with Level-Boss, Level-Boss.

-there is a dynamic weather and day night system for some areas. At night and rain, more enemies will appear and those will be stronger. At later parts of the game, sunshine can only be created by using an item at holy statues

-there are some chalice dungeon like rituals, but they are more treated like extra levels, that can be found and opened in the game. Once opened, they can be replayed again and will change despite the basic design. There are about 10 completely different ones of these otherworlds. They have traditional coop available.

Kuon is a horror game FromSoftware did back in 2004

de5f09c702f027b75833d4e576dc38f0.jpg

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

-there are no invasions, but you can enter the world of another player and take control of a monster in his world. The monster is a random creature from the level that will get a slight upgrade. Only possibe in certain passages of the game

-there is no coop as the game has a stronger focus on exploring and isn't a clear cut with Level-Boss, Level-Boss.
Ew wtf the only reason souls games are good is because of the multiplayer fuck this

L'Montes

Educated
I'll be glad to see a game "balanced" for single-player only. He's done nothing but games with Co-Op and PvP since Demon's I think.

I recall the 4chan leak, though "inspiration" from Kuon seems like a stretch aside from the Japanese occult element... we already knew it was a Japanese-set game with a "limb device" after the first trailer. I'm still not convinced it wasn't just semi-obvious guesses.

Besides...

There appeared to be a shield that fanned out in the trailer.

newtmonkey

Arcane
More "direct" story is a warning sign (expecting lots of shouting and melodrama), but the footage in the trailer looked good, cautiously optimistic.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wasn't really impressed by the reveal trailer. Will have to wait and see more but if it really is just another Souls clone, like it seems to be, then meh. Not interested in that kind of experience anymore.

praetor

Arcane

There appeared to be a shield that fanned out in the trailer.

it was also said that each weapon will have unique counters, so that fan/umbrella definitely qualifies. there are way too many right "guesses" for that leak to just be "semi-obvious guesses", particularly the grappling hook one...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's not like Nioh created Japanese mythology, lmao.

If anything, getting Blade of the Immortal vibes there, especially if that little girl tags along at some point?
Blade of the Immortal seems like a much bigger inspiration than Nioh by any measure.

Souls multiplayer is cancer in every regard. Good riddance, now maybe we can have some interesting weapons instead of :balance:
No multiplayer and no shields is basically a giant erection for me. Bloodborne is hands down my favourite of the subgenre, and a big part in that is the decision to eschew shields which greatly improves the experience. Absence of multiplayer is great too because it means they aren't wasting resources on something I see no value in having in the first place and just kept turned off previously. Multiplayer is always the first thing to sacrifice in order to improve or realize anything else if you ask me.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I never understood the complain about the shields considering that you don't have to use them.

In fact, I think I only use them the 1st time I've played DaS cause afterwards I always two-handed whatever I've found.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I never understood the complain about the shields considering that you don't have to use them.

In fact, I think I only use them the 1st time I've played DaS cause afterwards I always two-handed whatever I've found.
Magic and shields suck, real players roll like a beast.

Tehdagah

Arcane
No multiplayer and no shields is basically a giant erection for me. Bloodborne is hands down my favourite of the subgenre, and a big part in that is the decision to eschew shields which greatly improves the experience. Absence of multiplayer is great too because it means they aren't wasting resources on something I see no value in having in the first place and just kept turned off previously. Multiplayer is always the first thing to sacrifice in order to improve or realize anything else if you ask me.
If you played a Souls game offline then you didn't really play a Souls game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom