Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
https://www.sekirothegame.com

Published by activision and revelaled in E3 microsoft conference.

We can see already more verticality and agility with the jump and grappling wires, I guess Tenchu influence. Looks very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

praetor

Arcane
colour me mildly hyped. kind of a mix of Soulsborne, Nioh and Tenchu. i'm curious to see if it will be "kinda open world" like the Souls games or more level-based like Nioh

Kitchen Utensil

We can see already more verticality and agility with the jump and grappling wires
That gimmick has never been done well that I've seen, it's always just usable on specific points, so it may as well be an elevator key.

Yeah, looks like that's the case here as well. There seems to be such a point on top of that gate.
Graphics are also pretty bad, but who cares.
I like the atmosphere, art direction, level design and dynamic combat, but it's less than 3 minutes, most of which is cinematic shit, so it really is too early to tell.

Jinn

Arcane
I look forward to it! It'll be nice to see what they do in terms of exploration, seeing as there is clearly a new emphasis on freedom of movement. Really like how it's looking aesthetically so far too.

Nathir

Liturgist
Looks like it's a game that will have Soulsborne combat, death is mentioned multiple times and it is implied there are lore reasons why you resurrect after death. You also run through a narrow bridge and get attacked by a big dragon snake. Have never seen these before :roll:

Nathir

Liturgist
That said, I like the visuals and the tone, and it seems fast paced with some verticality to it. I am cautiously optimistic for a decent action-adventure. However Activision being involved might mean we will get something similar to Ubisoft/Ea open world non-games.

Glaucon

Prophet
lol, they're really cloning a game that's itself a clone of one of their own games.

Deflowerer

Arcane
It's not like Nioh created Japanese mythology, lmao.

If anything, getting Blade of the Immortal vibes there, especially if that little girl tags along at some point?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's not like it created Japanese mythology.

If anything, getting Blade of the Immortal vibes there, especially if that little girl tags along at some point?

It's not like it's the first time From Software makes games in ancient japan either. There's no need to mention garbage like nioh just because From is going back to their roots.

have to say that fight with samurai on horse looked so dope. undead protagonist, stealth, grappling hook, more open world approach etc. all looks great only shame its again medieval japan. But Bloodborne was supposed to be only gothic horror with werewolves and shit and we than we got Ayylmaos and Lovecraft out of no where so i hope for some twist in the setting.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I just hope Activision is sensible enough to not make this a Battle.net exclusive. (I think they probably won't as this likely is single-player centric, but who knows.)

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Top notch animation recycling

giphy.gif

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Press release:

- Directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki
- "a third-person, action-adventure game with RPG elements."

Activision and FromSoftware Announce Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Set to Arrive in Early 2019
New Game Developed by FromSoftware Introduces Players to a Reimagined and Deadly Sengoku Period In Japan

Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice, launching early 2019 on Xbox One, PlayStation®4 and PC via Steam, is a brand-new, dark and twisted gameplay experience developed by FromSoftware. Fans of FromSoftware will find familiarity in the gritty gameplay found in the game where combat reigns supreme.

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Your death won’t come easily. Enter the world of late 1500s Sengoku Japan; a brutal, bloody period of constant life-and-death conflict. As tensions rise, a compelling new story unfolds amongst the chaos. Introducing Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice, a dark and twisted new gameplay experience developed by the renowned team at FromSoftware and published* by Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI). Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is scheduled for release globally in early 2019 for the family of Xbox One devices from Microsoft, including the Xbox One X; PlayStation®4, PlayStation®4 Pro; and PC via Steam. Pre-orders are available now at select retailers for the suggested retail price of $59.99. View the official Sekiro: Shadows Die Twicetrailer here.

Directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a third-person, action-adventure game with RPG elements. The single-player game puts players in the protagonist role of a hard-hearted warrior whose mission is to rescue his master, a young lord, and exact revenge on his arch nemesis. As “Sekiro,” or the “one-armed wolf,” players will discover the many ways to strategically approach combat and engage enemies.

“Collaborating with Activision on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has been a very exciting experience for us,” said Hidetaka Miyazaki, president and game director at FromSoftware. “With Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice many FromSoftware team members, including myself, are thrilled to be exploring themes of Sengoku Japan and ninja for the first time. We can’t wait for everyone to discover what’s in store for the game.”

Fans of FromSoftware will find familiarity in the gritty gameplay found in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice where combat reigns supreme. Players will enjoy combining new features, such as vertical traversal, with visceral head-to-head battle to fulfill their destiny in a vast world filled with beautiful vistas, enormous castles, bizarre weaponry, and fearsome enemies.

“From Dark Souls to Bloodborne, FromSoftware has established a level of excellence that stands by itself in our industry, and we are incredibly honored to work with them in bringing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice to fans worldwide,” said Steve Young, Chief Revenue Officer at Activision. “Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice will not only add a new and exciting genre to Activision’s portfolio, but will also give players an experience that’s unlike any other FromSoftware game to date.”

For more information, please visit www.SekiroTheGame.com and follow @SekiroTheGame on Twitter and Instagram, as well as SekiroTheGame on Facebook.

© 2018 FromSoftware, Inc. Published and distributed by Activision. ACTIVISION is a trademark of Activision Publishing, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are the property of their respective owners.

*excluding in Japan and Asia

© 2018 FromSoftware, Inc.

So the game is owned by From Software, unlike Bloodbourne and Dark Souls. Activision is a publisher for western release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom