Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
just to be clearer, i do not have anything against puzzle bosses per se, i just think From sucks at them (mechanically) and they're at their best with "pure skill bosses" (as your list proves... and as would 99% if not 100% of "best Soulsborne bosses" lists by nearly everyone)
My favorites tend to be the ones somewhere in the middle, like the insane scholar fight in bloodborne, or the three shadows.

Bed of chaos is obviously terrible, and not the sort of boss I would like to see more of.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The question is, does BoC have bad rap because it's a puzzle boss, or because it's a bad puzzle boss? I suspect it's the "gymmyck" community who created the common wisdom and now everybody "knows" BoC is bad without much thinking about it.

In my first blind play of DS1 I didn't "know" yet BoC is supposed to be bad and I was only mildly annoyed, mainly because of the long run from the last bonfire (didn't the find the hidden Izalith one). I also raged while trying to jump down on the roots. But overall I didn't feel it was the worst boss.

I remember thinking Discharge was by far the dumbest, shittiest boss in the game, followed by Pinwheel. I wasn't impressed by Gaping either, I thought he's retardedly easy even for a newbie. And I absolutely hated Centipede for some reason. BoC didn't really stood out either way for me.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In my first blind play of DS1 I didn't "know" yet BoC is supposed to be bad and I was only mildly annoyed, mainly because of the long run from the last bonfire (didn't the find the hidden Izalith one). I also raged while trying to jump down on the roots. But overall I didn't feel it was the worst boss.
I think I heard some rumors that BoC would be a bad boss, but I was insanely annoyed when I played it, due to the instant kill mechanics of getting swiped down into holes, and the fairly precise jump you have to make at the end.

Pinwheel is a great boss, I recommend doing him immediately after going to lordran.

praetor

Arcane
The question is, does BoC have bad rap because it's a puzzle boss, or because it's a bad puzzle boss? I suspect it's the "gymmyck" community who created the common wisdom and now everybody "knows" BoC is bad without much thinking about it.

I remember thinking Discharge was by far the dumbest, shittiest boss in the game, followed by Pinwheel. I wasn't impressed by Gaping either, I thought he's retardedly easy even for a newbie. And I absolutely hated Centipede for some reason. BoC didn't really stood out either way for me.

BoC is bad because it's a puzzle boss that relies on platforming, something that sucks tremendously in the whole of Soulsborne (particularly DS1 with the awkward jumping controls). not to mention Miyazaki himself said he regretted making that boss or something along those lines.

but even without the platforming, it would've been a bad boss as it's a "reskin" of the Dragon God (imho much worse than any of the "recycled" bosses in any of the sequels)

Suicidal

Arcane

BoC is bad because it's a puzzle boss that relies on platforming, something that sucks tremendously in the whole of Soulsborne (particularly DS1 with the awkward jumping controls). not to mention Miyazaki himself said he regretted making that boss or something along those lines.

but even without the platforming, it would've been a bad boss as it's a "reskin" of the Dragon God (imho much worse than any of the "recycled" bosses in any of the sequels)

One more reason I disliked Bed is because the fight is very counter-intuitive. When you destroy the 1st root half the arena crumbles and you have to run around jumping over pits and dodging the Bed's attempts to knock you into one. Then what do you have to do once you destroy the 2nd root? Jump in a pit. Kinda goes against what you've been doing until you get to that point.

Silva

Arcane
I think it's difficult to have an objective take on bosses quality, because I suspect people will rate them based on their very specific and arbitrary personal experiences. Ie: Bed of Chaos never bothered me because I always killed it easily. I don't find it a great boss, but also never got the negative fuss on it either. I find Pinwheel a much more innocuous boss for e.g. as are the bazillion variations on knights in DS2 which my memory even deleted and I couldn't name a single one.

just to be clearer, i do not have anything against puzzle bosses per se, i just think From sucks at them (mechanically) and they're at their best with "pure skill bosses" (as your list proves... and as would 99% if not 100% of "best Soulsborne bosses" lists by nearly everyone)
My favorites tend to be the ones somewhere in the middle, like the insane scholar fight in bloodborne, or the three shadows.
I also tend to like the ones in the mid of puzzle<->fighting game scale. BB's Shadows of Yharnam are really good, as is ROM after you learn the ropes. I like the bitch in the dark from DS2 too (Edit: Lost Sinner).

Ivan

Arcane
I believe he's referring to taking out the Shadow that summons the serpents first. Otherwise you could be facing with him spamming you last.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...t-options-means-bosses-are-a-little-different

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice's New Combat Options Means Bosses Are A Little Different
by Suriel Vazquez on Jan 14, 2019 at 02:00 PM

In From Software games, bosses are the main event. From Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls to The Nameless King in Dark Souls III, the developer has crafted incredibly rewarding enemy encounters over the last few years. With Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, From is changing their approach to combat, which means how they design bosses has to follow suit. Although the boss we faced in our time with the game definitely captured the feel of a From Software boss fight, we did notice – and were able to talk to From about – how Sekiro’s new combat and traversal options could alter the way we approach their bosses.

Although the Dark Souls series let players tweak their characters towards archetypes like warriors, archers, or mages, this meant having to keep these archetypes in mind when designing bosses. “We have to restrict ourselves, and how far we can take that balance and that tuning, in order to cater to all these playstyles,” says From Software marketing and community manager Yasuhiro Kitao. “Sekrio, with a fixed protagonist, allows us to hone in on that single-player experience, and tweak the boss battles and the encounters to accomodate for all of these tools at the shinobi’s disposal. So we want players to eventually use every aspect of their arsenal and really use their cunning, and use every aspect of their skillset, to take on these really challenging foes.”

From wants to tweak every combat and boss encounter around The Wolf’s specific set of tools, exploring how they can create new challenges with them. With the exception of swimming, this includes some of the new traversal and combat options, such as the grappling hook, as well as stealth. "The traversal options allow much more dynamic movement within the boss arena, both for yourself and the boss character themselves,” says director Hidetaka Miyazaki. “Previously, you would have just had to run around a huge boss’ feet and hack away at his ankles, but now you have all these movement options; you can both fully use the extent of that arena.”

Not every boss will let you use every kind of approach, however. “There are boss fights that through design didn’t fit that staple,” Miyazaki says. “If we made every boss [one where] you were able to use the grappling hook to zip everywhere or stealth kill every boss, it would just get monotonous and boring.” In order to keep players on their toes, Miyazaki wants to make sure players think about how to approach every boss differently. “So there may be boss fights where you’re up against a huge creature and you need to use the full arena and get around very quickly and use that dynamism, but there may also be fights where you just need to go toe-to-toe and use every piece of kit in your arsenal,” he says.

The boss we faced off against in our demo, Lady Butterfly, showcased some of these differences in action. Far from the hulking beasts we’ve come to expect in From games, Lady Butterfly is a smaller, nimbler opponent in the vein of Father Gascoigne from Bloodborne or The Abyss Watchers in Dark Souls III. Wielding a pair of extra-long kunai in each hand, she’s incredibly agile and aggressive; she weaves in and out of our effective ranges on a dime and covers her retreat by chucking kunai, then hopping among razor-thin wires to keep herself airborne, making her difficult to nail down. She also has an uncounterable throw move (marked by a glowing icon), which we have to dodge.

The new posture system also changes up how we think about the fight. Lady Butterfly isn’t invulnerable to attacks and will still take damage from our blows, but it’s minimal enough that we know we’re not going to win this fight by attrition. In order to break her posture and line up a death blow, we need to keep up our pressure, which makes retreating riskier than it has been in the past, since it’ll slow down our progress if we take too long.

Although it’s hard to keep up with her on-foot, we have a couple of tools at our disposal that make the fight a little easier. For one, we’ve upgraded our shuriken prosthetic so we can follow it up with a dash attack, which lets us maintain our pressure even after she’s retreated. Additionally, we have the Shinobi Firecracker prosthetic, which disorients her long enough for us to get a few extra attacks in.

Eventually, after reading her attacks and attacking her enough, we’re able to break her posture and land the death blow. But after losing her first life (Enemies can have “life pips” just like Sekiro that must be expended before truly dying), she’s got another surprise for us. When she gets back up, she’s joined by a number of illusions, all of which are all eager to cut us down with their hoes and knives.

Miyazaki tells us most bosses have similar mid-fight surprises in store. “It has varying degrees depending on the boss but yeah, you won’t just see the same fight from start to finish,” he says. “They will change up even the battle tempo or some sort of newer element to the battle in various degrees.”

Luckily, we have a way to dispatch the ghosts. As you explore Sekiro’s take on Sengoku Japan, you can find hints about how to defeat certain bosses. Before we headed into Lady Butterfly’s chamber, we ran into a dying soldier, who told us that we’d be doomed without Snap Seeds. We happen to have a few, and realize their use: to dispel illusions. Popping a few of them emits small wave of energy that wipes out the closest of the illusions. This clears a path for us to approach her again, letting us zero in on her. Any illusions we don’t deal with, Lady Butterfly is able to turn into numerous highly-lethal butterfly projectiles, which can hard to dodge and slow down our approach.

As we start chipping away at her posture, she summons a few more, and we quickly retreat to dispel them once again. With after a few healing gourds, quick movements, and well-timed strikes, we’re able to finally take her down. While this encounter isn’t exactly unheralded in the world of From games, it does speak to how Sekiro hopes to change up some of the established rhythms of how the developer approaches both combat and bosses.

And, according to Miyazaki, she’s just one of many surprises From has in store. When asked about his favorite boss in the game, Miyazaki points to the Ape-like boss we saw towards the end of the trailer shown off at last year’s Tokyo Game Show. He also hints at another boss, though he wouldn’t offer too many specific details. “You don’t often see [this] in boss fights. They use really dirty tricks. They’re real devious, real underhanded techniques,” he says. “Hopefully, you’ll know that one when you see it.” There will also be optional bosses to find and defeat as well, and Miyazaki once assures us they’ll be as tough as we hope.

In previous From games, taking down a boss meant having your humanity restored, or getting a boss soul you could use to create a powerful weapon. Since neither of those bonuses are an option in Sekiro, From has other rewards in mind. We can’t say what we got from defeating Lady Butterfly, but players are going to want (and need) what these bosses end up dropping, according to Kitao. “We do want people to feel like, ‘Yes, I’ve beaten this boss, I’ve gotten something from it, I’m able to improve.’” he says. “It depends on the boss, but for instance with one of the very early bosses in the game, you acquire the item that allows you to begin restructuring your prosthetic tools, so this opens up this whole new line of customization.”

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Okay, so Deflecting™ is timing based like parries and does posture damage, which triggers critical hits or something like that, right?

What about regular blocking? Is it just like a Souls shield with x% damage reduction? Is there even actual blocking in the game?

sullynathan

Arcane
Okay, so Deflecting™ is timing based like parries and does posture damage, which triggers critical hits or something like that, right?

What about regular blocking? Is it just like a Souls shield with x% damage reduction? Is there even actual blocking in the game?
It does seem like there's blocking with the old videos. Sekiro can hold his sword in a block stance in anticipation of the enemy

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/17/how-sekiro-plays-differently-than-dark-souls

How Sekiro Plays Differently Than Dark Souls
by Suriel Vazquez on Jan 17, 2019 at 02:00 PM

With Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, From Software is making a number of changes to the way it thinks about combat, level design, storytelling, and more. Although fans expect plenty of surprises when they sit down with a From game for the first time, certain aspects of the developer’s formula having been trained into players’ minds, and it might be these players who have the hardest time getting used to Sekiro’s changes.

To get a taste of how Sekiro might differ from From’s previous output we sat down with lead game planner Masaru Yamamura to get his insight on what learned players may want to rethink most when they jump into Sengoku-era Japan for the first time.

sekiro_22.jpg

Attacks Are The Tells
For years, fans of From games have learned an invaluable instinct: If you see your opponent wind up an attack, get out of the way. That will only get you so far in Sekiro, and Yamamura predicts some players are going to think the game is harder than it actually is if they dodge at the first sign of movement. “We feel like the initial impression is going to be, ‘Wow, these enemies are really tough! They have a strong defense,” he says.

Combat works a little differently this time around; when you see an attack come your way, that’s your time to strike. “When the enemy’s attacking you, you can deal damage to them, you can wear down their posture by deflecting their momentum and their attacks,” Yamamura says. Most attacks enemies dish out can be can be countered by your own sword swings, dealing damage, but more importantly, increase their posture meter. When this meter maxes out, they’re vulnerable to death blows, which will deal severe damage, usually killing them.

It’s not simply a matter of mashing the attack button instead of the roll button, though; the window for properly deflecting an attack is fairly thin, so you’ll have to study an opponent’s attacks and learn the proper timing to counter them. “Once users have mastered the deflect technique, they’ll be dealing not only damage through their own attacks, but when they’re being attacked by the enemies, turning that to their advantage,” Yamamura says.

sekiro_02.jpg

Exploration Is Part Of Combat
Before you engage in combat at all, however, you’ll want to do your research. The Wolf’s grappling hook lets him move to high places and get a view of where he’s fighting. This lets you survey your opponents before you fight them. Make it a point to seek out vantage points where you’ll be able to see what you’re up against and plan accordingly.

On the ground, you’ll want to be sneaky. Though past From games let you get the jump on enemies from time to time, Sekiro has a bona fide stealth option, letting you move slowly and hide in tall grass to avoid detection. This serves two functions. First, if you can take out a few of the more isolated enemies before you’re spotted, you’ll have an easier time once you go loud. Second, if enemies don’t know you’re there, they might be a little chattier, and have conversations that might be of use to you. It also helps to talk to anyone else you meet along the way. “The eavesdropping mechanic, conversations with NPCs, overhearing enemy conversations – these are ways you can learn about the world, and gain hints about combat as well,” Yamamura says. If you overhear enemy conversations before you kill them, you might learn a particular enemy is weak to fire, giving you an advantage when you finally face them.

sekiro_07.jpg

The Answer Is Always In Front Of You (Or Nearby)
In Sekiro, every player plays by the same rules. By giving every player the same toolset, From can create encounters that may require a specific approach, attack, or tool, and trust that players will have that solution at the ready. “The game is designed in a way that we’d like users to experience all these [options],” Yamamura says. “And to incorporate them all into their toolset, and to take on challenges by thinking, ‘What could I take from my repertoire in this situation? How could I apply that here?’”

If you’re finding a particular encounter or boss too difficult, think about all of the tools at your disposal. Between your katana, prosthetic limb weapons and tools, and stealth or traversal options, you probably have an answer for your problem. If not, it might be time to go look for it, as some options are hidden around the world. Either way, you’re never “locked” out of a certain strategy simply because you didn’t build for it.

sekiro_05.jpg

You Can Change Your Strategy On The Fly
Sekiro isn’t as malleable a game when it comes to creating different character builds. That means some dedicated From players are going to have their gameplans pulled out from underneath them. But are there ways to make The Wolf your own that let you adapt to different encounters.

Yamamura says the biggest way players most comfortable with heavy weapons, bows, or magic will find some comfort in Sekiro’s combat arts – equippable skills that offer new abilities. “If a user wants to use a particularly heavy, slow attack, then they’ll find something in the combat arts,” he says. Meanwhile, “the prosthetic tools have a variety of more, I suppose, martial arts or ninjutsu-based attacks that could be perceived as magic, as well.”

So while you won’t be able to turn yourself into an unstoppable heavy-roller or keepaway mage, players with different tastes should look into how they can create their own comfortable “build” through the combat arts, rather than having to return to a particular character to respect their stat points.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...ons-behind-sekiro-avoiding-stagnation-and-the

Our Full Hidetaka Miyazaki Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Interview
by Game Informer Staff on Jan 25, 2019 at 02:00 PM

As part of our trip to see Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice at From Software’s offices in Tokyo, Japan, we got to chat with the game’s director and company president Hidetaka Miyazaki. While you’ll see quotes from him we’ve used in our past coverage of Sekiro, there are some interesting and fun bits of insight throughout our entire conversation.

This interview was conducted with a translator on-site and then transcribed by Jill Grodt and JP Gemborys.

Game Informer: We had a chance to see Sekiro and take on the Lady Butterfly. Is she some sort of shadowy gang of assassins from his past that he was a part of, or something like that? Because, it seemed like they knew each other. What’s the story between Sekiro and this memory?

Hidetaka Miyazaki: So, as you know, this is a scene set in the past and we talked about this character called The Owl, who you brought up earlier. He sort of plays a foster-father role to the protagonist. This character picked up Sekiro on the battlefield and raised him as a Shinobi and one of his old acquaintances – or part of that Shinobi system of allies – was this Lady Butterfly character. So, while [Owl] was training the protagonist and teaching him techniques, maybe he got to spar with this character or had some sort of menial relationship with her through the foster-father figure.

Are we going to be meeting any other characters from this shinobi clan?

So, we will save the actual names and number of these characters for the game itself, but in general having this key protagonist allows us to build a cast of characters around him, and his personality, and his history. We feel like these core characters that are central to his presence in the world, and his story are going to be playing a lot of that role of the story in the gameplay. So, we feel like you’ll be able to experience both his past, in that sense, and the here-and-now of where the game takes place.

Are we going to be going back into his past multiple times over the course of the game?

It’s mainly focused on the present. So, you’ll be obviously playing through the present of the shinobi’s story throughout the game, in that sense. It’s not a game where you’re going back and forth from present to past to piece together the puzzle. But this is a one-off flashback to a portion of his past and that allows you to piece more bits together of the story. So, you get some extra detail and you can flesh things out for yourself in that way.

Are we going to be able to get the Moonlight Greatsword in the game?

(Laughs) Not this time.

sekirowatermark.jpg

Are any of the other things in the Souls games going to make an appearance? Sort of as a nod, like the crows or anything like that to trade items with?

First of all, we want to make it clear that – we have this reputation for featuring the Moonlight Greatsword and things like that in our games – we don’t want this to feel like too much of a bind. We’re creating this new IP and this new world. We don’t want to feel like we’re beating a dead horse or just going to put it out for the sake of it or just going to cram it into the lore in some way. It kind of puts restrictions on us, so we are not featuring the Moonlight Greatsword this time.

As to creating these kinds of odes or references to our other games within Sekiro, we’re actually being a little bit careful because – working with other publishers means you have to be careful with how you treat this material and this content. So, if it’s Dark Souls to Dark Souls III, it’s easy to put in odes and references here or there since it’s the same publisher. For instance, with Déraciné, that was released recently for VR, we had an ode to Bloodborne in there – both titles are published by Sony. Actually, that reference, that nod itself caused a much greater stir than we expected. Way more than we expected. When we were given that idea like, “Why don’t you just put a little nod in there? It’d be great.” And we tried it and it blew up. So, we just want to tread a little bit more carefully around that front.

Are people reading to much into that little nod in Déraciné?

You know, it wasn’t so much that they read too much into it, it was just supposed to be a little homage, but people kind of expected Bloodborne 2 and it kind of got a little bit crazy. So, we feel like we caused a great inconvenience to Sony, and that was really not our intention.

It got a lot of attention for the game, though!

Personally, yes.

sekiro_11.jpg

One more about Dark Souls and then we’ll move on. Is there going to be a zone filled with poison and giants, and just a terrible zone to go through? Like Blighttown vibes?

So, the simple answer is yes. We do have areas where the environment plays as the enemy to the player. However, one of the core concepts of Sekiro was to create this greater freedom of movement and freedom of traversal, and so we don’t want to squash that by creating these really restrictive game spaces. So yeah, you will find somewhere like that – similar to that – that is a pinpoint location in the game, but we don’t try to restrict the user in ways previous ones do.

Are there going to be extra-difficult optional bosses like The Nameless King in Dark Souls III?

Yeah, I mean, this is a staple for us and we hope to meet expectations there with the optional bosses and we feel like they’re going to be pretty tough this time as well.

With all the giant monsters and crazy creatures and stuff like that, are we going to see a mid-game Bloodborne plot twist where everything goes crazy and it’s a totally new game?

Hypothetically speaking, if this was a Bloodborne interview, we wouldn’t go, “Hey, guess what happens in the second half.” But if you can think of the opening of the game as a more traditional Japanese ninja fantasy, then it’s not going to continue along that same exact track the whole way through. I think it’s safe to say that much and I think more would be a spoiler.

sekiro_07.jpg

Why the decision to go with a skill tree system over the stat system?

The idea of a parameter system, a stats-leveling system is that you are catering to different people’s builds. So, you have things that a mage can use, you have things that a strength user can use, you know the greatswords, or these different sorceries, and pyromancies. And this means that not all users have to use everything. They can specialize, or they can focus on their build. The idea of this game and the multifaceted ninja means you have to use everything in your arsenal, everything at your disposal to overcome these challenges.

The introduction of a skill system meant that we could allow people to unlock every facet of this multi-talented ninja. Having this locked behind parameters or having to boost certain parameters over others meant that if you came across a tough enemy with a specific strategical grammar to him, like a specific weakness, they would have to go back and retrace their steps and uncover this, boost these parameters and what have you. Having these as skills and items that you can gradually acquire, allows them to specialize in everything to a degree and to really become that really multitalented, multifaceted shinobi.

Is it designed to be more accessible than Bloodborne or Dark Souls games?

I’m not sure if saying it’s more accessible is the best answer, but we have tried to make it easier for people to access every part of this shinobi’s arsenal. In a previous title, you had an area or a boss that could only be defeated by magic. That would be an issue because people are specializing in their build, and we’ve created this unnecessary wall for them. This way of building the game, it gives us greater freedom and it gives the player greater freedom to decide how they want to tackle this or to encourage them to try to find something else and to keep adding to their arsenal and to use every little bit of it to defeat these challenges.

newart03.jpg

Are all bosses in the game going to feature the heat up system where they change moves based on the phase that they are in?

Yes, we do intend to [do that]. It has varying degrees depending on the boss but yeah, you won’t just see the same fight from start to finish. They will change up even the battle tempo or some sort of newer element to the battle in various degrees.

The shinobi death blow, how did that come to be? Were you just really excited about visceral attacks from Bloodborne and the backstab attacks in Dark Souls and you just wanted to do that to everything?

It’s not like we just love to do these critical attacks on everything. It’s an evolution of the elements. The death blow, the idea itself, is one of the things we got a hint of from Tenchu, from the original publications of that series. Also, death blows are not just kind of a one-off one-time critical attack, like a backstab or a riposte or the visceral attack, it’s something that can be initiated from stealth – as you saw yesterday – allowing you a way in. It’s also something that is a result of trying to find or trying to make a momentary weakness in your opponent.

So, the battle you experienced yesterday with the swordplay, it’s kind like a climax to that. To each and every one of those battles. We feel, in that sense, that it’s different – the concept and the way we’ve created and the way we’ve molded it – is different from a straight up riposte or a straight up visceral attack. The shinobi has the kind of elements of both offense and defensive that he has to use simultaneously. The death blow is sort of like a result of that. I use the word climax – it’s kind of like a treat or reward for the player at the end of that struggle, that clash of swords.

newart02.jpg

With some of the changes to movement – the way that you have the grappling system and the wall-jumping stuff and swimming, how has that changed certain approaches to boss design? Have they gone back to the drawing board on, “Here’s a boss we can do with these options.” That you felt you wouldn’t be able to do before?

You mention the swimming. This is not present in boss fights as such, this is something that caters more to exploration and general traversal just to add a little bit of change of pace – something a little bit different just to cool things down. [But] boss design, definitely, these new traversal options and stealth definitely play into it. The traversal options allow much more dynamic movement within the boss arena, both for yourself and the boss character themselves. It really increases the dynamism in how the player and the boss player play off each other.

Previously, you would have just had to run around a huge boss’ feet and hack away at his ankles, but now you have all these movement options you can both use – fully use – the extent of that arena. Stealth in mid-boss and boss fights, it does depend on the situation, but, again, it’s meant as another added level of spice. It’s not going to be present in all boss fights, but here and there it might add to the experience in some clever or subtle way.

Is there a particular kind of boss that you’ve found doesn’t work well for the new movement options or is there something you wanted to do, but maybe didn’t work as well?

Yeah, definitely. There are boss fights that through design didn’t fit that staple. They don’t fit the new movement options or stealth. If we made every boss, you were able to use the grappling hook to zip everywhere or stealth kill every boss, it would just get monotonous and boring. So we try to cater to each boss’s characteristics and each character’s unique traits and build a boss fight around those, and what’s going to be most fun and what we want the player to experience in that one encounter. So there may be boss fights where you’re up against a huge creature and you need to use the full arena and get around very quickly and use that dynamism, but there may also be fights where you just need to go toe-to-toe and use every piece of kit in your arsenal, the prosthetic tool, the katana, and really go head-to-head on these one-on-one duels. So, there’s something we’ll cater to on each occasion and to each boss’s unique idiosyncrasies.

sekiro_09.jpg

We really enjoyed the movement of the Butterfly Lady that we fought yesterday. Do you want to talk about the initial design, but the inspiration was the texture and personality you were conveying to designers you wanted for that character?

Yeah, actually when designing this boss I had a very clear idea of what I wanted. I suggested initially this is a boss that’s going to use illusionary techniques; it’s going to use these razor-thin wires to hop around and move around the map. I had a very clear idea and I conveyed that to the designers. Another thing is, I love these kind of old Japanese ninja stories created by the likes of Yamada Futaro who kind of have this depiction of a strong, old Japanese ninja grandma and… If you’re familiar with Basilisk, for instance, Yamada Futaro is the original creator of the Basilisk series. And I had a super strong ninja granny character and really just wanted to have one of those in my game.

Are there any other animes that you were inspired by for Sekiro?

If I had to pick one, a small inspiration would have been Hiroaki Samura’s Blade of the Immortal. That’s another manga. Blade of the Immortal was actually a small source of inspiration for parts of Bloodborne as well. It’s something I enjoy. The weapons are so cool in that.

It’s probably conveniently forgotten, if there is something.

sekiro_23.jpg

Who is your favorite boss in the game? You don’t have to go in to detail, just sort of the broad strokes.

That’s a tough question. Actually one of them that I really like you saw in the TGS trailer is just the glimpse at the end. The giant ape. I hope you look forward to that one. Another, you don’t often see it in boss fights, they use really dirty tricks, they’re real devious, real underhanded techniques. Hopefully, you’ll know that one when you see it.

Okay, I’m sure we will. Have you ever considered adding a boss rush mode to one of the From action games?

Boss rush mode is not actually something that I’ve considered. We haven’t had any particularly strong requests from publishers to include something like this either, so it’s not really been a factor.

Is this more of an open-world kind of situation where you can go in many different directions at many different times or are you going to be sort of gated by stuff you’ve killed or like do you need to get an item from over here in order to go over here? Or is it if you can beat the big guy then you can go this way but if you can’t, you go do these other things and then you can go through there?

We feel like Sekiro’s probably on the higher end of the spectrum in terms of the freedom the player has to explore the world if we’re to compare it to our previous games. Particularly from the mid-game onward, the world really opens up, and you have a great deal of choice and freedom about which order and way you choose to explore.

sekiro_02.jpg

What was behind the decision to get rid of the corpse run?

The reason there’s no corpse run as is, is first of all, we don’t really want to keep doing the same thing over and over again with our games. We want to try different approaches and different switching up the systems. Speaking of death penalties, we do want to incorporate a new sense of demerit or a disadvantage to death. We want the player to fear death in the same way they did before. But this will take on a different shape this time. If we were to just add in corpse-running or having to go retrieve something on top of that, it would have felt too messy or too desperate or a little too much like there’s too much at stake.

We want to concentrate on the new systems such as the resurrection system as well. Speaking of resurrection, this time we’re taking this into elements of story as well. So there’s a reason for coming back to life, and there’s more general themes and concepts around death and rebirth, so this is something we wanted to explore on the gameplay side as well.

You’ve got these poisonous lizards and monstrous roosters running around. With these other humans, do they not attack each other or is it they’re just cool with each other? How does that work, world-wise?

Yep. Sometimes they will. And you’re a shinobi, so you can create these situations in some way. There will be ways to – just imagine this battle between a soldier and a rooster.

sekiro_03.jpg

With this game, you’re taking a little bit of a step back in the writing process and not on the ground floor as much this time. I’m just wondering, what’s the advantage of stepping back from your point of view. What does that allow for, within the studio?

As to what I’m getting personally, I feel my own writing is very quirky and has got a lot of idiosyncrasies itself. As someone who’s written the Dark Souls and Bloodborne games, to have that again here would feel like a repeat. I feel like users are going to get bored or tired of this approach, so we wanted a fresh approach there.

Also, this ability to more easily share the narrative internally with other staff and have them give their take on it and have them arrange this information, this overwhelming amount of information between characters and different plots and what have you, is also very refreshing and it allows us to get a better bead on the story as a company. And, not trying to compare this with titles from other studios or the way other studios do things, but just internally we haven’t really tried this before so it’s very like, again, it’s very refreshing to have a take from other staff and to be able to piece that together in a much more coherent way.

Before, I didn’t have that need to fully communicate to the division of the story, it was all just in my head and I could just write it however I wanted, and let people piece it together. But by sharing it with the other staff it allows me to see it in a clearer light, and potentially give us a fresh and interesting look on that content.

Is it a challenge personally to step back from that? Or has it just allowed for more sleep?

It’s pretty tough, actually, to step back. It doesn’t necessarily give me more time to focus on other things. I have to divide my time in different ways, of course. But previously, I could have just written some stuff down as part of the text or dialog at home. Nowadays, for Sekiro I have to communicate this to staff and be really quite forthcoming about it. That’s quite tough in itself. But then to see them reinterpret this into their idea of what that means or that implies, this is enlightening for me and it allows me to see this different interpretation and then to have this collaborative story building together.

With you having to see the results of other people working that way, what do you think has been the difference that has emerged in terms of tone or any differences beyond the more personal story?

Regardless of whether or not I’m writing the dialog or text myself for other games or for Sekiro, I’m still open to receive suggestions and ideas from any and all member of staff. As long as these are good ideas and easy to digest, then I’m willing to incorporate them. This isn’t something that just applies to Sekiro, this is the way I’ve been working with the story and the narrative throughout the games I’ve produced.

sekiro_05.jpg

Congratulations recently on the lifetime achievement award. Very exciting. For people out there, do you have any tips for how to lead a successful life? What are the keys to leading a successful life?

That’s very difficult. I’m not in a position to tell people how to lead their lives. They’ve got to do what’s best for them personally. I’ve worked in the games industry just over ten years, and I’ve just enjoyed making these games. When I’m asked ‘what especially has been good about that or what do I put value in there’, then there’s nothing particular to say. It’s just the fact that whether or not they succeed, it’s just the fact that I’m making these games and I enjoy that process.”

It’s so difficult. I just want to say, “let’s all just love one another and make world peace.” But it’s not as easy as that especially when I’m making games like Dark Souls and Sekiro. But as long as I’ve contributed something that’s had an impact on someone’s life that’s enough for me. Receiving this award, I was very humbled now that you bring it up. It reminded me to appreciate the people who are playing the games and who were giving us these great vibes because they’re the ones who’ve kind of cultivated us and our way of life and our culture, and the way we make games and what we want to give back to them. So, again, receiving that award, I was like, “Wow. This is something I’ve got to tell them. I have to be more appreciative of this.” I’m not one of those people who goes on Amazon and writes reviews for games and stuff like that, but I might be turning into one of those people. I’ve got to show a little bit of love here and there.

For the players. Amazon for the players.

For the developers as well.

Everybody in the world.

You know, just as a private user, not “Miyazaki.” Just to add to the good vibes. I’ll do my best to give that positive vibe.

Get a nice little message at the end of the credits. Just Sekiro, “go out and love each other and make world peace.”

No one’s going to buy that.

sekiro_25.jpg

Any chance of a Demon’s Souls remaster after we had the Dark Souls: Remastered?

I don’t think the possibility is zero. But personally, it’s not something that I’d be interested in doing, personally. It’s like when you write – when you’re younger, you look back on it and you think “oh, goodness what was I thinking?” It’s not that I’m embarrassed, I just don’t like to look at my previous works. It’s the same with Dark Souls: Remastered. This wasn’t my own idea. So, you’d have to ask Sony, but I don’t think that the possibility is zero. You’d have to see what they’re thinking about it. But – details, I have nothing.

Just for you guys to bring it up makes me really happy because that was the first action fantasy game that I created, or I directed. I have fond memories of it, but it’s definitely not my place to say they’ll remaster.

You’d be comfortable with another studio working on it, in theory, if somebody were to remaster it?

You know, if it was a studio that really loved the original work and really put their heart and soul into realizing it again, then that’s something I would enjoy. But it’s really complicated because I have these fond memories but thinking about the idea of a remaster gives me, kind of, butterflies in my stomach and makes me a little nervous, so it’s complicated. But I understand there are many users and many players and fans out there who really love Demon’s, so if that’s something they could accomplish with a studio that loved the work, then yeah, I’d be okay with that.

deuxhero

Arcane
As to creating these kinds of odes or references to our other games within Sekiro, we’re actually being a little bit careful because – working with other publishers means you have to be careful with how you treat this material and this content. So, if it’s Dark Souls to Dark Souls III, it’s easy to put in odes and references here or there since it’s the same publisher. For instance, with Déraciné, that was released recently for VR, we had an ode to Bloodborne in there – both titles are published by Sony. Actually, that reference, that nod itself caused a much greater stir than we expected. Way more than we expected. When we were given that idea like, “Why don’t you just put a little nod in there? It’d be great.” And we tried it and it blew up. So, we just want to tread a little bit more carefully around that front.

Reference the other Fromsoft game published by Activison then.
ljevfa.jpg

(You actually start with the Moonlight greatsword in this. It's not explicitly called that but the visual is the same)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would guess they don't count Moonlight swords as a reference to anything in particular at this point, seeing as it's probably more like a studio signature that there's a powerful weapon called Moonlight in their games.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's being hard not clicking in all those videos, even skipping the Muhyazaki interview. I want to go as blind as possible. The devil tempting relentlessly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom