Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Sentinel

Arcane
eg: the game tells you about its rock-paper-scissors blocking system: block a stab, jump a swing, and dodge a grab. The tutorial and tip system will beat this into your head.
Then the game immediately introduces a miniboss with a near-instagib long-range lunging grab that can only be countered by jumping; WTF From?

That's not how the system works.

There is horizontal and vertical attacks (Grabs included). You can block everything except the unblockable attacks (When the red kanji appears). You can parry everything except horizontal unblockable attacks. To dodge vertical attacks you must use a side step, to dodge horizontal ones you must jump. And grabs attacks must be dodged with a jump or a side step depending of the type too. This is what that inmortal fella will teach to you.

Blablabla ... please show me how to dodge pike/spear users.
Deflect thrust attacks or Mikiri counter them. Double Jump on sweep spear attacks.

The only thing I did not kill yet is the general with the Spear.

I honestly don't know what to do ... when he attacks there are like 3 consecutive red signs which pop on the screen. I don't see shit.

In 10 fights I managed to pull off a Mikiri once. GG.
Sneak up to the building behind him (through the left just like you did at the start of the game) and get a critical on him from behind for a free -1 health blip. After that it's just a matter of fighting him. Use physical defense/attack items. There's really no secret. If you're not sure you can deflect a red sign attack just dodge it instead. Use firecrackers to distract him and get a couple free hits in.
Also you can use the NPC back in the temple to train deflections against spears.

Silva

Arcane
Most (but not all) mini-bosses can be deathblowed to burn through one bar of HP right off the bat and you can engage - disengage them as you wish, although they will heal their HP immediately if you disengage them for too long so deathblowing > hiding > deathblowing mini-bosses is not possible. The more traditional fog gate bosses typically don't have anything you grapple with your hook and are just purely sword fencing where knowing their rhythm perfectly is the only way to win.
I'm interested in the last part. In Soulsborne I could usually A) unravel each Boss specific "puzzle" through a dozen attempts or B) cheat/brute force it through poise/spells/pyro/hunter tools/beast pellets/etc (though not all bosses accept this).

How accommodating Sekiro is of B) ?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
eg: the game tells you about its rock-paper-scissors blocking system: block a stab, jump a swing, and dodge a grab. The tutorial and tip system will beat this into your head.
Then the game immediately introduces a miniboss with a near-instagib long-range lunging grab that can only be countered by jumping; WTF From?

That's not how the system works.

There is horizontal and vertical attacks (Grabs included). You can block everything except the unblockable attacks (When the red kanji appears). You can parry everything except horizontal unblockable attacks. To dodge vertical attacks you must use a side step, to dodge horizontal ones you must jump. And grabs attacks must be dodged with a jump or a side step depending of the type too. This is what that inmortal fella will teach to you.

Blablabla ... please show me how to dodge pike/spear users.
Deflect thrust attacks or Mikiri counter them. Double Jump on sweep spear attacks.

The only thing I did not kill yet is the general with the Spear.

I honestly don't know what to do ... when he attacks there are like 3 consecutive red signs which pop on the screen. I don't see shit.

In 10 fights I managed to pull off a Mikiri once. GG.
Sneak up to the building behind him (through the left just like you did at the start of the game) and get a critical on him from behind for a free -1 health blip. After that it's just a matter of fighting him. Use physical defense/attack items. There's really no secret. If you're not sure you can deflect a red sign attack just dodge it instead. Use firecrackers to distract him and get a couple free hits in.
Also you can use the NPC back in the temple to train deflections against spears.

I found my answer. I will try it tomorrow, this game drained me of any human emotions today. Fucking Demon Bell.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Most (but not all) mini-bosses can be deathblowed to burn through one bar of HP right off the bat and you can engage - disengage them as you wish, although they will heal their HP immediately if you disengage them for too long so deathblowing > hiding > deathblowing mini-bosses is not possible. The more traditional fog gate bosses typically don't have anything you grapple with your hook and are just purely sword fencing where knowing their rhythm perfectly is the only way to win.
I'm interested in the last part. In Soulsborne I could usually A) unravel each Boss specific "puzzle" through a dozen attempts or B) cheat/brute force it through poise/spells/pyro/hunter tools/beast pellets/etc (though not all bosses accept this).

How accommodating Sekiro is of B) ?

Sekiro is not accommodating. It's neither Bloodborne or Dark Souls.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
On one hand, it's a steam exclusive which means I'm inclined to insta pirate and never buy it. On the other hand, they removed the multiniggery, which is the best thing I've read so far about it, and the only games worth paying for are good singleplayer games, which makes this conflicting. Not like I have a steam account anyway even if it were worth buying.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sekiro is not accommodating. It's neither Bloodborne or Dark Souls.
So you're saying each boss has one - and only one - way to be beaten?

It looks like for each boss there is one most efficient way to do it which probably include: be aggressive, stay close, deflect attacks and Mikiri counters. If you mastered these then you are golden.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Welp, I just watched the last boss fight in this game and I lost any will to continue.

This game is bullshit. I guess Miyazaki went full retard.

Adon

Arcane
Just beat Lady Butterfly, and this was perhaps the first boss that I felt any sort of satisfaction from beating; she wasn't the first to give me any trouble, but she was the first one where I was able to learn the fight to some degree.

So far the game hasn't been clicking very well with me and most especially with the boss fights. Despite having struggled a bit with some of the previous fights, none of them gave me any satisfaction and I hardly felt like I learned any of the fights up until now. I've warmed up to the game a lot more since I started (partially because I'm no longer gimped with abilities), but I can't imagine that it'll get any better from here. I have too many issues with the game using Souls mechanics as a crutch for design with a half-assed implementation. I'm glad that they tried something new and different; I just dislike that it wasn't different enough. It's like they couldn't commit to doing something that was too different out of fear that it wouldn't sell well.

All in all, I would've preferred if they had made that Tenchu game instead.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
In my opinion, Souls mechanics like resurrection and respawning enemies don't jive well with the new design.

A more traditional checkpoint system would fit better with this game essentially being a boss rush.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
So I just beat the game and did the convoluted steps for the true ending - are we getting a sequel?

Jinn

Arcane
My friends canceled paintball on me so I just played the game all day.

I mean hour-wise. I'm sure people aren't playing at as leisurely of a pace as me, but I'm about 18 hours in and I can't imagine I'm even halfway through yet.

Ent

Savant
Yea I abused the agro system a bit in certain parts especially with the fucking gunners.

Ent

Savant
I clocked in at about 31 hours.
Mind you I read stuff to get the best possible ending because I'm autistic like that

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
2 FUCKING HOURS WITH THIS ASSHOLE!!!

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

BBRfkue.jpg

Rwbdf8r.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom