Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Mojobeard

Augur
Finally done exploring every single side passage, now just two grueling boss fights ahead. Maybe I'll take another break, just really frustrated at the moment. I'm at 15 vitality, 5 attack power.
It's either the gorilla or the monk with the black knight halberd looking thing. Just killed the apes and the snake.

bataille

Arcane
I've given up on lord Genichiro. My leet skills may have taken me through Friede and Gael, but this is just too much.

:negative:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Does anyone know if there's a point to jumping in combat outside of using the enemy step when an enemy does a sweep?
You can execute a quicker 2-hit combo mid-air than if you were on the ground, but enemies will block it all the same and I have no idea whether the air attack string deals more burst damage to make it more useful over the ground attacks.

Mojobeard

Augur
Does anyone know if there's a point to jumping in combat
You can sometimes jump on an enemy which leaves them stunned for half a second, and use that opening for say, firecrackers. It's less effective than against a sweep of course.
It's also situationally a better dodge, especially against groups of enemies.
And at least the "spiders" can be killed instantly by lock on + jump + r1, doesn't need stealth.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've given up on lord Genichiro. My leet skills may have taken me through Friede and Gael, but this is just too much.

I gave both Friede and Gael 30+ attempts, never could beat them. I beat Genichiro in 10, with 3 gourds left. Unlike Friede and Gael, who are all about fast reflexes and generally being gud, Genichiro is all about staying aggressive, beat his ass constantly and only side step away when he does his jumping attack.

Does anyone know if there's a point to jumping in combat

There's a whole mid-air combat school but I can't figure it out for the life of me. There's a point in the temple where you even get a prompt for the mid-air deathblow (for the jumping ninjas near the Main Hall) but I just don't know how to do that. Apparently you have to jump in combat and press RB but I've spent an hour trying to pull it off but it's either bugged or it needs some superhuman fucking skillz.

Wunderbar

Arcane

I gave both Friede and Gael 30+ attempts, never could beat them. I beat Genichiro in 10, with 3 gourds left. Unlike Friede and Gael, who are all about fast reflexes and generally being gud, Genichiro is all about staying aggressive, beat his ass constantly and only side step away when he does his jumping attack.
should i bother throwing shurikens while he's shooting at me mid-air?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The spectral monk is THE STUPIDEST FUCKING FIGHT in all videogame history. It fucking takes like 20 minutes because you can only do damage when she turns her back towards you, so only after certain rare-ish moves. OR you can farm the confetti for 2 hours for a single boss run. What a gigantically idiotic fight. Fuck you From.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

should i bother throwing shurikens while he's shooting at me mid-air?

The shooting mid-air move is very hard to deal with, it's so fast I almost never blocked it. I just accepted the damage, he doesn't do it that often.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Btw, shortly before fighting Genichiro there is a guy called Ashina Elite (sits right after the bonfire).
How can you predict whether his next move is going to be a lunge or a swipe? Asshole strikes almost instantly.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Most of his attacks are those quick draws. His hilt flashes whenever he is going to attack so just watch that and deflecting should be easy. I don't remember how fast his swipes were exactly but aren't all unblocakbles slow enough to jump over?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
OMG that late game thing with the big snake :D Big spoiler:

Just killed him. If you haven't figured it out and want a hint, send a PM.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, shortly before fighting Genichiro there is a guy called Ashina Elite (sits right after the bonfire).
How can you predict whether his next move is going to be a lunge or a swipe? Asshole strikes almost instantly.

Press deflect IMMEDIATELY after his blade flashes. That's all there's to that fight. You'll poise-break him after like 3 deflects.

Jinn

Arcane
Well, I came back and got Genichiro taken care of. I figured out that my problem was that I was trying to deflect more attacks than I was making him deflect. Once I started matching my attacks to his own blows, the fight made a lot more sense. That didn't make it easy by any means, but it made it much more surmountable in my eyes. Again, my problem, not the game's.

I feel a euphoria. The adrenaline is wearing off and I feel a soothing, but shaky, calm coming over my body. This is what I love about this game. I took a break earlier, but just couldn't stop thinking about the fight. Regardless of how tired I was, I had to get past it. I had to figure it out. And it was an amazing fight.

I really do love this game, even though it abuses me so.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Some people seem to dislike the game because it is too similar to Souls games, some seem to dislike it because it isn't similar enough to them.
A few seem to dislike it because of certain design decisions.

But overall, judging only from the way most of you write about your experiences, it seems to be a genuinely good game and a new (cult) classic.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
OMG that late game thing with the big snake :D Big spoiler:

Killed it too, such a nice "fight". Proper way to kill a giant boss.

I may have came a little when stab its eye from that hiding place. <3

Edit: My anus started to feel a bit larger after all them bosses, I wonder why. :oops:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game is amazing.

Only small gripes - I think I still prefer stamina-based combat but this one is great too. I wish they didn't decide to include stealth, I feel it cheapens the game (you can one-shot all the big common enemies, you can steal one HP blip from most minibosses...I mean it is fun, sort of, but I'd prefer just a straight up combat game).

Level design is fantastic too but a teeeeny gripe - I feel there are fewer secrets and fewer typical From's devious details. For example in DS1 and DS3 there are TWO huge areas that are super secret. Nothing like that in Sekiro (well, as far as I know - don't spoil if there is). Also I've only found two secret walls so far, mainly because there aren't that many indoor areas. I hoped they'd double down on the secrets and devious twists, instead it seems they've backed off of it a bit.

Apart from that I'm having and absolute blast.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Killed it too, such a nice "fight". Proper way to kill a giant boss.

Do you remember the item you grabbed after you killed it? On the other side of the broken bridge? I missed it, remembered it's there but sadly, you can never backtrack there. Was it something good?

Cromwell

Arcane

Use the shield. run to him, he will take his hand to his sword, you will see a blue light in that moment hit the shield prosthetic. It does so much posture damage that he will die after two (or three times). Good thinng is even if you do it to early you will block his Iai (or whatever these drawing moves are called) but dont do that much posture damage.

There are other ways to kill him like baiting the move and sidestepping left (not right) or jumping to the left and then gap closing, you could also use shuriken slice (but will probably be out of emblems before hes dead) but with the shield its teh fastest way I found and it makes him exremly easy if you have the timing down (which took me a while).

Edit:

are there two forms of deflect? You can hear if you succesfully deflected an attack since the metallic sound is different but if you do it perfectly you will usually take a large chunk of posture or kill normal mobs outright but if you dont time it perfecly it stilld eflects (sound is there) without much posture damage?

Last edited:

Mojobeard

Augur
OH MAN I finally beat guillotine gorilla after endlessly dying on the second part yesterday.

I feel there are fewer secrets
I feel the opposite honestly. There's been so many grapple points that have lead to a completely new side area, and looking around always rewards some extra loot.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Game is amazing.

Only small gripes - I think I still prefer stamina-based combat but this one is great too. I wish they didn't decide to include stealth, I feel it cheapens the game (you can one-shot all the big common enemies, you can steal one HP blip from most minibosses...I mean it is fun, sort of, but I'd prefer just a straight up combat game).

Yeah, this seems a little bit too much. Landing a critical that takes 50% damage would be enough.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
One minor gripe is that loot is uninteresting, all you get are consumables and gold purses. You never get anything exciting like new spells or equipment like in Souls. I'm just hording pellets, ash, ceramic shards, and sugar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom