Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Matador, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Good devs like Capcom manage just fine. It's just From that has problems.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    I'm playing on PS4 and it's all fine. I managed to nail consecutive deflections 90% of the time. In fact, I just beat O'Rin on NG+ first try today, when previously on NG I have problems catching up with her rhythm.

I don't get it, Sekiro is in perfectly playable state since Day 1 on PS4. I would say it's probably their most perfect Day 1 release yet, since I personally haven't heard any serious technical problems other than those dumb grab attacks hitboxes.

How old are you, Zep Zepo ?

How? Most of Ashina Arts are useful, especially the Ascending/Descending Carp and Flowing Water skill. The Prosthetic Arts tree is also very useful, with the exception of Shinobi's Karma skills which are underwhelming, and Emma's Medicine which are rather expensive.

^ Top  
  3. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Here's what I am using on this run to make prosthetic upgrades more exciting: https://www.nexusmods.com/sekiro/mods/103

I think I will keep this, I don't see why I should settle for measly 20 emblems. I am up to 38 emblems now and it feels better.

^ Top  
  4. toro Arcane

toro
    Indeed the Ashina Arts are good because of posture damage but overall the arts are just fluff.

^ Top  
  5. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    Most of the high level combat arts cost 3 or more spirit emblems and don't do enough damage to be worth using. If you pull off 3-4 perfect combat arts that cost that much on a boss, you will have maybe removed 1/4 - 1/3 of a single health bar by the time you completely run out of spirit emblems. Some of the free ones are nice, as is Mortal Draw, but most others are shit and/or only useful for mini-bosses that have a single health bar.

^ Top  
  6. toro Arcane

toro
    Honestly, I did not use anything else besides the passive ones.

^ Top  
  7. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    The only good combat arts are Ichimonji (and double ichimonji) and High monk. Rest of them are garbage.

• Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    Whirlwind is great early game as it cuts through blocks, but by the time you are NG+ your normal strikes will overcome posture quicker.

I probably use Mortal Draw the most. It does fuckloads of damage, so even with bosses, if you hit them with it 3-4 times it will lower their health enough that their posture regenerates much slower. That's probably the designers' intent with most combat arts. They aren't meant to be powerful enough to finish off a boss on their own, but they are powerful enough to lower their health to the point that they can be more easily posture broken.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I like Whirlwind and Praying Strikes better than those. Ichimonji especially I don't the hype about, it's too fucking slow.

^ Top  
  10. Lord Romulus Arcane

Lord Romulus
    Most of the combat arts that require spirit emblems suck because you're better off using firecrackers, or maybe even something like flame vent.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Divinity: Original Sin

You're right. I went to a backup save and tried that fight again (*after I fixed my controller)

I did use an ako and a gokan sugar, tbh, along with deflect spam. The fight was over faster this way than my original way.

*So my controller...
    I had it plugged in because, well, I thought it would minimize input lag.
    Turns out the cable I was using to plug it in was bad or defective.

I went wireless for a bit and the input lag was less notable.

Gonna hunt down another cable and test again...

Zep--

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mogwaimon Learned

mogwaimon
    I think people like Double Ichimonji in particular because hitting with the second strike actually heals your posture damage, IIRC. It's a nice punish to throw in on occasion just for that, but as others have mentioned it seems like it's always better to just R1 to victory. Though I never did get far enough down the Senpou tree to unlock High Monk to play with.

^ Top  
  13. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    Beat Great Owl Shinobi on NG++ without Kuro's Charm! Took an embarrassingly long time, but I finally realized that you can dodge his charging sword slash by jumping backwards. So I just kited him around the ring, punishing his ninja star + jump attacks with mortal draw, and backwards jumping out of range whenever he'd do a charge slash. He was completely trivial once I figured it out (I had 7 healing gourds left and didn't die at all when I finally beat him).

Was getting so fucking bored, so I'm glad he's dead.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    ^ Top  
  14. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Spent a few hours (over the last couple days) grinding up some SP so I could get Shadow Rush. I needed 10 points to get there.

I'm not quite sure, but I think I dead-ended at everywhere I can go so far.

I've been dreading this for quite a while...but time to suck it up and try General Genichiro so I can unlock some new paths (I guess?).

Zep--

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I am fucking stuck on Owl (Father). Since I never did Purification ending before this playthrough this is my first time with him. Goddamn firecrackers. He makes earlier Owl fight look like a joke. Gonna turn off Bell Demon effect for this one.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    if you time it right, you can dodge through firecrackers and punish Owl for two hits.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Yes I know, I'm just fucking up. Usual learning the boss phase.

^ Top  
  18. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Cheese...

Zep--

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. cruel Learned

cruel
    Is Owl fight mandatory for Return ending? I have Frozen Tears already, not sure if I have patience for this guy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

^ Top  
  21. Nortar Educated

Nortar
    No, he's only needed for Purification ending. Frozen Tears is all you need for Return.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. cruel Learned

cruel
    Thanks.

Good video for people having issues with Owl in Hirata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh6Ha5BYh0s

I'm still trying, but I had no idea that you can mikiri his sword lunge attack. This may be a game changer.

^ Top  
  23. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    I got back into this over the last week after taking one time out to play Days Gone. The second Guardian Ape and his little bitch ape went down pretty easily. Old Shinobi Owl though was probably the boss that's taken me the most tries to "get guid" enough to kill. Heard the Great owl version in Hriata estate is even tougher - not looking forward to that one.

^ Top  
  24. cruel Learned

cruel
    Almost done with the game - the only bosses left are Father Owl, Demon of Hatred and Isshin. And, to be honest, I think I will leave it as it is.

When I was younger (<25) I really enjoyed trying something for 20+ times to finally beat it. Now I feel I't just not really a time good spent. What is really annoying about Owl and Isshin fights - they designed them more like a puzzle than actual boss battle. You need to exactly follow proper steps / reactions in proper moments, if you don't do it, you are done. Not much area to improvise or be creative, more like tedious memorize / implement. While fighting Friede, Gael or Orphan solo, I never felt this way.

I don't regret playing the game, would rate it probably around 7.5/10. Nowhere near Dark Souls though, and probably will never play it again (not much reason to do so with zero weapon variety).

I'm curious, can we add a poll to this thread about how many tries it took Codexers for Isshin? Options: 1, 2-5, 5-10, 5-15, 15-30, 30-50, 50+, never beat him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. abija Liturgist

abija
    Maybe turn to more suitable hobbies like watching TV? You can use twitch or similar for a smooth transition from gamer to potato...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)