Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

sullynathan

Arcane
Your default stance in most situations should be blocking because it regenerates posture fastest, unless you need to dodge something or counter perilous sweep attack with jump. From blocking you deflect and a failed deflect should normally end with block. Using sprinting to dodge terror scream is easier to avoid taking any terror buildup at all. Jumping around like this is just noob shit. But of course it's easy for me to say after multiple playthroughs. I was raging really hard at most bosses on first run. Now I love fighting most of them. Just saying these things because game really shines once you get used to countering the shit out of everything, instead of dodging or jumping around.
You see, the thing is Jumping has been effective even against Genichiro. The ape fight I posted was really the second time I fought him. When I have a boss with a large enough arenat that I can keep distance, it means I can just block long enough to regain posture.

Just because you got by doing it so far doesn't mean it's not an inferior way to play. And comments like:

Genichiro and the butterfly have been the only two worthwile bosses so far.
are a clear indication you are not getting most out of the game. But then I wasn't either until I went for my second run.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also that Ichimonji overuse, I've seen so many streamers and tubers doing that shit all the goddamn time, except Vaati who correctly concluded it's shit. You can always get in twice as many regular swings.

sullynathan

Arcane
Also that Ichimonji overuse, I've seen so many streamers and tubers doing that shit all the goddamn time, except Vaati who correctly concluded it's shit. You can always get in twice as many regular swings.
Yeah I never was a fan of Ichimonji, Whirlwind seems so much better.

It's on purpose, especially with the double. The giant ape doesn't give you long enough openings while whirlwind does too much health damage over posture, so I prioritized using it first because they're the only combat arts I have.

are a clear indication you are not getting most out of the game. But then I wasn't either until I went for my second run.
At the time of posting, I fought juzou, blazing bull, lady butterfly, gyoubu and genichiro. I discounted mini bosses, and including them after this point will open the list to o'rin and a few of the generals.

The former two were eh bosses. I think I fought juzou too early because his clone later on went smoother. Gyoubu I said was a messy boss that was just running around everywhere and took longer than I expected. I thought he was glitched because he was running into walls and repeatedly missing attacks when he threw them at me.

Really, my big problem early on was judging how far an enemy's attack will reach and how long a combo will go on.

My o rin fight was near perfect until I thought her combo was over and didn't deflect the last hit.

Same for the general but he doesn't hit as hard so I could take the hit and quickly recover

For example, the lone swordsman's jump attack will fully turn him nearly 360 degrees midair and I'm not expecting that to happen.

Or for the centipede giraffe, his moveset is simple and I got the hang of it, until the camera fucked me into a corner and I couldn't see in my second death.

I know how the game is "supposed" to be played but I don't have to completely stick by it. I'll experiment just a little.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Is that you in that video? Whoever that is, he needs to git gud. Too much jumping around. Jumping when he should be deflecting, jumping when he needs to be sprinting away from scream.. Also after deflecting that falling strike is the time to use spear to pull the parasite out of Ape's neck.

You remind me of this guy I knew who would go around to everyone saying "I am better at videogames than you" constantly with no context.

He too was very short and had a small dick.

Corrupted Monk is one of my favorite bosses. I avoid using confetti or snap seeds on him just to enjoy it for longer. After this fight you might wanna go back to any areas with water to check for underwater items and treasure carps. As for progression I guess you didn't go to Senpou Temple yet?

sullynathan

Arcane
Corrupted Monk is one of my favorite bosses. I avoid using confetti or snap seeds on him just to enjoy it for longer. After this fight you might wanna go back to any areas with water to check for underwater items and treasure carps. As for progression I guess you didn't go to Senpou Temple yet?
I've only been to the bell tower there, didn't know there was a real way to get there yet.

You have ability to swim since the beginning of the game. Diving isn't required to reach Senpou Temple.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Damn Miyazaki finally looks like a proper middle-aged manager instead of a shy, nerdy boy.

No Elden Ring news tho. Fuck. Woke up WAY too early just to check this one game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom