Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Villagkouras

Arcane
Still, it would be kinda hard for Dark Souls 1 to win GOTY 2019.

sullynathan

Arcane
Beat corrupted monk by second try it was a good boss. I remember watching pre release videos where players could execute him and tried doing so but it didn't work.

The bane of Sekiro and the other souls games tends to be their poor camera and specifically, Sekiro's small arenas. Getting stuck in a wall where you can't see your character and a boss keeps attacking really needs to stop.

I also fought my father beforehand and beat him like 3rd try. It's actually pretty cool that you notice the owl using some combat arts, items and prosthetic tools that I used. His posture goes down far too quickly though making the fight longer than usual, perhaps I should've used different prosthetic tools but I've noticed I don't use them much throughout the game.

retinoid

Savant
Disagree.
It's one of the worst games From has made in the last 10 years.

I try to forget Dark Souls 2 as well.

2 is the best of the trilogy though.

You like a game whose engine is completely broken, where literally every single mechanic in the game doesn't work properly, where the simple aspects of movement and jumping have bugs and feel like your character is wearing iceskates, where the hitboxes of enemy attacks are the radius of Jupiter, where the level design and graphics are essentially Lost Izalith but for 20 hours, where the bosses are bereft of any creativity until the DLC, where the lore and writing feel like fanfiction, where the encounter design philosophy is to throw 6+ trash mobs at you, and when the game DOES give you a one-on-one encounter with a seemingly impressive and unique foe it ends up being an embarrassment due to awful animations and technical issues. But muh build variety and RPG elements.

The fact they threw that engine in the trash and the original director was never heard from again and From Software NEVER mention DS2 anymore should tell you everything you need to know.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Codex is probably the only place in the internet where you can find people saying that DS2 is the best one in trilogy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
DS2 it's the only From game i didn't finish ( started twice and both times got bored before the end).
Even DS 3 wich i consider "the worst" Myazaki game, is better than DS2.
My personal ranking of From games i have played:
Dark Souls 1>>>Sekiro>Dark souls 3> Ds2

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You like a game whose engine is completely broken, where literally every single mechanic in the game doesn't work properly, where the simple aspects of movement and jumping have bugs and feel like your character is wearing iceskates, where the hitboxes of enemy attacks are the radius of Jupiter, where the level design and graphics are essentially Lost Izalith but for 20 hours, where the bosses are bereft of any creativity until the DLC, where the lore and writing feel like fanfiction, where the encounter design philosophy is to throw 6+ trash mobs at you, and when the game DOES give you a one-on-one encounter with a seemingly impressive and unique foe it ends up being an embarrassment due to awful animations and technical issues. But muh build variety and RPG elements.

Dude I was talking about DS2 not DS3. :smug:

Sentinel

Arcane
GOTY 2019 was a toss up between Death Stranding and Sekiro for me. I'm happy Sekiro got it, I think it's FromSoftware's best game and shows a lot of potential for improvement and expansion in a sequel. The combat is absolutely superb and very tense. Unfortunately I have the suspicion that Elden Ring will reuse Souls played out, dull combat instead, which to be honest almost makes me lose interest in it. Coupled with the fact that Dark Souls 2's director is in charge of Elden Ring, and I really do not care about it. I've hated everything that guy has ever done. Both in DS2 and DS3. He completely misunderstands Miyazaki's idea of challenge. His encounter design is fucking horrible and I wish he'd fuck off forever.

Sentinel

Arcane
Unfortunately I have the suspicion that Elden Ring will reuse Souls played out, dull combat instead
Coupled with the fact that Dark Souls 2's director is in charge of Elden Ring
so you're saying that elden ring will have different builds, will be replayable, and will have actual deepness in its systems?:incline:
Does any of that really matter if the moment to moment gameplay is a rehash of something you've been playing since 2009? I legit don't understand. Would you actually want Souls combat back? Sekiro was such a nice change of pace - having to rewire your brain to stop relying on iframes and hiding being 999 poise with a heavy shield. Why would you ever want to go back to that?

I think for example Dark Souls 3 is objectively a better game than Dark Souls 1 in many aspects but I have fonder memories of 1 because I was learning something as I went. With Dark Souls 3, I already knew the mechanics inside out because they were ported over from a game from 2009. It was brainless.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Guise you do understand Sekiro combat is only good against humanoid, weapon welding mobs right? In a high fantasy game like Elden Ring it'd be a fucking disaster.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Yeah Sekiro combat while really optimized and well crafted it is too limiting. What would different weapons do? Slightly change parry window? Do a bit more or less damage?

Yeah Sekiro combat while really optimized and well crafted it is too limiting. What would different weapons do? Slightly change parry window? Do a bit more or less damage?
Or attack faster. Or have a better reach, or do less damage, but let the character move faster, or have a chance of critical hit, etc.....

Wunderbar

Arcane
Or attack faster. Or have a better reach, or do less damage, but let the character move faster, or have a chance of critical hit, etc.....
this will break sekiro's combat since it was tuned for a specific speed/reach combination, and retuning every enemy for a different weapon is too resource-consuming.

retinoid

Savant
"Unlike Sekiro, which has a heavy focus on action, Elden Ring puts more focus on RPG elements. Of course, we are not shying away from the fun of responsive melee-based combat, and these elements will be present as well."

For the latter sentence, it's hard to tell if Miyazaki is making a blanket statment about all of From's games in general or specifically Sekiro's "responsive melee-based combat". That being said, I do fully expect to see elements of Sekiro's combat in Elden Ring but tweaked to work with a more stat heavy game and different weapons. There's honestly no chance of From reverting back to the brainless R1 spam of DS3.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
There's honestly no chance of From reverting back to the brainless R1 spam of DS3.

Yeah, specially now that they added brainless L1 spam with Sekiro. Progress! :cool:
It's only brainless spam if you are a noob. Once you git good you start to time the parries and it's one of the most satisfying things ever in a videogame.
Btw the 2 systems are too different to be compared. Both have pros and cons.
Best thing to happen, and probably will, we will have both DS and Sekiro like games by From

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
It's only brainless spam if you are a noob. Once you git good you start to time the parries

It's not DS, you don't have to time parries in Sekiro, you just mash the parry button.
The system is forgiving because parry is the same button of block, but the skill ceiling is high because you can be much more efficient by timing parries. By spamming you will miss a lot of windows to fill enemies posture, thus killing them slower. If you are good you can fill enemy posture lighting fast with consecutive timed parries.
Also try no kuro with parry spam, and see how that goes.
I beat the game ( bad ending) without kuro and i can guarantee you spamming in ng+ with hlock damage will get you killed fast

P. S. i don't recommend a kuroless run anyway, the game is too stressfull like that, unless you are half korean. I got burned by the game this way, but i can see how the game can be very very rewarding for a very skilled player

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom