Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Momock

Augur
As oposed to Sekiro where you just have to manage your posture and be on the look out for the big red kanji when it's time to dodge.
Besides you do have to read your oponents in DS.
Maybe you didn't undertsood what I meant since I wasn't very clear, to be fair: in Dark Souls you have to time your dodges correctly to traverse the ennemy attacks, in Sekiro you have to time your dodges correctly AND do them in the correct direction to avoid being hit by the ennemy attacks. You DODGE them for real, so to speak. In Dark Souls the only thing you need to know is WHEN the attack is going to land, in Sekiro you need to understand WHAT the attack is about and act accordingly before it lands.

Anyways...: fuck iframes, I want them out forever.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Goddamn this game is testing my non-existent controller skills so much.

That feeling when you need 15 tries at Genichiro and then watch a streamer who took him down first or second try on his first playthrough. Puts me in my place I guess.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I forgot how great the game feels. The movement, the sounds, the vibe...melts my heart.

It's SOOO damn good. I tried going back and replaying souls games after this but in comparison, the movement is so slow clunky and awful. I was falling asleep walking through the tutorial area at snail's pace.

BTW Whoever in Sekiro's design thought "hey why not just bind jump to a button???" deserves a raise and a medal.

sullynathan

Arcane

That feeling when you need 15 tries at Genichiro and then watch a streamer who took him down first or second try on his first playthrough. Puts me in my place I guess.
Talk about not playing it right, I beat Genichiro first try.

BTW Whoever in Sekiro's design thought "hey why not just bind jump to a button???" deserves a raise and a medal.
Yea, they did what games have been doing since their inception.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Fair enough but fast humanoid bosses like Genichiro, Owl or Saint are just as much about being gut with the controller as being gut at the game. If you've been playing action konsole games your entire life you have a huge advantage over someone like me who played mostly turn-based PC gaemz with M&K for the last 20 years.

Btw I beat the horse boss first try, first stage Ape 2nd try, double Apes 1st try, just fyi.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
SUCK MY NINJA DICK, DAD

mgBLysO.jpg

:dance::dance::dance:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Fair enough but fast humanoid bosses like Genichiro, Owl or Saint are just as much about being gut with the controller as being gut at the game. If you've been playing action konsole games your entire life you have a huge advantage over someone like me who played mostly turn-based PC gaemz with M&K for the last 20 years.

Btw I beat the horse boss first try, first stage Ape 2nd try, double Apes 1st try, just fyi.

I found it was helpful to swap the dodge and use buttons, I always felt like I had to move my thumb too far to hit dodge.

But if you're already used to it may as well stick with it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First time I did the Shura ending. Both Emma and 1st stage Isshin were a blast. Hated 2nd Isshin with his flaming bullshit. Needed about six or seven runs at them, about half an hour. P. good compared to my 6 hour hell against the Sword Saint.

Unfortunately the "kill all bosses" achievement didn't unlock for me even though Emma and Isshin were the last bosses I was missing. Anyone remembering having issues with this one? Do you have to beat all bosses on the same save file (through NG and NG+)? Coz I did all bosses except Emma and Isshin back in the spring and for the Shura ending I started a fresh playthrough.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Did you do the FATALITY on the double ape boss? aka use the mortal blade on the corpse after defeating it.

Black Angel

Arcane
The system is forgiving because parry is the same button of block, but the skill ceiling is high because you can be much more efficient by timing parries. By spamming you will miss a lot of windows to fill enemies posture, thus killing them slower. If you are good you can fill enemy posture lighting fast with consecutive timed parries.
yeah, but in the end it's just rhythmic clicking.
I've seen the gif/video where someone edited those rhythmic video game UI onto Long-Arm Centipede bossfight, and while it's true that the fight with Long-Arm are mostly L1/parry-button mashing, I don't see how 'rhythmic clicking' can be applied to the rest of the game. Yeah, 'consecutive deflection' is a thing that you could even train with Hanbei to master, but reducing Sekiro's gameplay of using certain moves to counter certain moves as 'rhythmic clicking' is just as retarded as calling it glorified QTE.

While in Dark Souls you have multiple weapons with different movesets and different types of damage (strike, thrust, magic, fire, etc),
Yet all that doesn't matter because most individual weapons of a certain type is just a smaller or bigger version of other types of weapons. Different weapons have different movesets, but individually within the same type of weapon they all have exact same moveset, with few weapons here and there where they had a special moveset when two-handed/dual-wielded. The one exception to this is Dark Souls 2 with its power-stancing. Meanwhile, Sekiro with a singular character archetype lets you play around with different shinobi tools and combat arts in addition to your default weapon movesets.

Still, judging Sekiro, an action-game, based on a quality obviously a game like Dark Souls, an action RPG, has is just baffling.
have rings with special effects, armor sets with different types of protection, magic,
Again, judging Sekiro based on a quality that a game like Dark Souls would obviously has is just baffling. Why would it matter that an RPG lets you equip rings with special effects, armor sets with different types of protection, and use magic? Compared to an action game where you only play as a shinobi? Does it also matters to you that you shoot stuff in an FPS but you can only jump in a platformer?

buffs (and not just +dmg sugars),
Let's see: Dark Souls has stamina buff, health buff, defense buff, attack buff, stealth buff, spell buff, and status resistance buffs.
Sekiro has posture buff, vitality buff, stealth buff, damage buff, and (non-sugar items) status resistance buffs.

Pretty standard, not sure why you're implying that Sekiro only has +dmg sugars.
you have to manage stamina and keep an eye on surroundings.
Sekiro has stamina, it just has different name and instead of managing it so it doesn't deplete, you manage it so it doesn't fill up.

And 'keep an eye on surroundings'? Did we even play the same game?
The only new thing Sekiro brought was vertical movement via grappling hook.
Dude, this game has a jumping mechanic. An *actual* one, assigned to a button, not this 'hold a button for a while then press the button again' shenanigan. It also adds a proper stealth mechanic, a climbing, shimmying, and wall-hugging mechanic, and ALL that also contributes to adding MORE ways to instakill an enemy, other than BACKSTABBU.

Do you have to beat all bosses on the same save file (through NG and NG+)?
yes

Awww shit.

Yeah Shura ending should really be kept for NG+. I did my first NG+ run for that ending not long ago myself. I always restarted fresh before. Can definitely agree about second Isshin flamey phase, annoying shit. Worst part about is that game kept forcing me to kill Emma over and over to redo the Isshin fight. :(

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I've seen the gif/video where someone edited those rhythmic video game UI onto Long-Arm Centipede bossfight, and while it's true that the fight with Long-Arm are mostly L1/parry-button mashing, I don't see how 'rhythmic clicking' can be applied to the rest of the game. Yeah, 'consecutive deflection' is a thing that you could even train with Hanbei to master, but reducing Sekiro's gameplay of using certain moves to counter certain moves as 'rhythmic clicking' is just as retarded as calling it glorified QTE.

Dude the entire gameplay revolves around R1/L1 mashing.

Like most combat of From games in the past 10 years, it's... decent.
That means, while there's nothing inherently wrong with it, there's also nothing truly great about it.
I would say the reason most people find it outstanding is that one - most people haven't played anything better - and two - the game feels good to play (the animations are nice, the attacks feel like they have a nice punch to them, the sounds effects are sharp, etc).
Whatever it has done, alot of other action games have much done more and better.

Yet all that doesn't matter because most individual weapons of a certain type is just a smaller or bigger version of other types of weapons. Different weapons have different movesets, but individually within the same type of weapon they all have exact same moveset, with few weapons here and there where they had a special moveset when two-handed/dual-wielded. The one exception to this is Dark Souls 2 with its power-stancing.

Of course it matters.
It means you have a different playstyle for each weapon type, with the best weapons being specials cases within their type.

Meanwhile, Sekiro with a singular character archetype lets you play around with different shinobi tools and combat arts in addition to your default weapon movesets.

But that selection of tools/moves is small and lacks versatility campared even to other action games, let alone DS.

Still, judging Sekiro, an action-game, based on a quality obviously a game like Dark Souls, an action RPG, has is just baffling.

Except Wunderbar has comparing a quality both games have in common, it's action systems.

And 'keep an eye on surroundings'? Did we even play the same game?

Did you played Dark Souls? Not being wary of your surroundings is the fastest way to get yourself killed in that game.
Not saying this is a quality Sekrio doesn't posses - although to a somewhat lesser degree has threats are presented more straightforwardly.

It also adds a proper stealth mechanic,

:nocountryforshitposters:

Sentinel

Arcane
Dude the entire gameplay revolves around R1/L1 mashing.

Like most combat of From games in the past 10 years, it's... decent.
That means, while there's nothing inherently wrong with it, there's also nothing truly great about it.
Great melee combat systems don't need a piano worth of keybinds.

I would say the reason most people find it outstanding is that one - most people haven't played anything better

Better melee action combat than FromSoft games? Do tell.

I second that question. Apart from Jedi Knight series and Mount&Blade I have no idea what games could potentially be thought as having a better third person melee combat. Maybe Dark Messiah too,however I played it so long ago that I remember only that it was too easy, even if still fun.

I like also Dynasty Warriors combat, but I wouldn't describe it as great.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I would say the reason most people find it outstanding is that one - most people haven't played anything better

Whatever it has done, alot of other action games have much done more and better.

Please enlighten me!!!!

I second that question. Apart from Jedi Knight series and Mount&Blade I have no idea what games could potentially be thought as having a better third person melee combat. Maybe Dark Messiah too,however I played it so long ago that I remember only that it was too easy, even if still fun.

I like also Dynasty Warriors combat, but I wouldn't describe it as great.

Severance: Blade of Darkness
Jedi Academy
Ninja Gaiden - Black/Sigma
Devil May Cry 3
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
God Hand
Ninja Gaiden II
Devil May Cry 4
Bayonetta
Dragon's Dogma
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bayonetta 2
Nioh
For Honor
Devil May Cry 5

EDIT: mechanically speaking, Dark Messiah is this the only game that isn't better than FromSoft stuff, but it makes up for it through other means other means

Great melee combat systems don't need a piano worth of keybinds.

No but they need complexity to the mechanics, variety of techniques and high skill ceiling to master. None of which Sekiro properly provides - specially comparing to the games I mentioned above

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sekiro is such an overrated piece. The boss fights, and some of the minibosses, are cool, but it's like people forget about how much work has been put into making mediocre everything else. The mobs are far less of a threat during blind exploration than any other From games because they just can't deal with your character being a human monkey. The stealth is a useless tacked on feature whose only purpose is to remove a bar of health from a miniboss (you'd have to really, really be terrifyingly bad at video games to find value in stealth killing mobs, such a waste of time. You aggro the miniboss? who cares, just fly around like a monkey to lose aggro then you can come back to get that bar down). The mechanic is so simplistic and boring they might as well have made those minibosses with one less health bar from the start and removed the stealth mechanic. What little depth the combat system has is also overturned by how nothing really matters against non-bosses besides just mashing that button hard. Itemization is.. ehhh. Map variety.. well the game makes you go through some places too many times (hi Ashina Castle). When the game fails in design it's more infuriating than any other from title (demon of hatred.. fuck this garbage). The die twice gimmick so marketed before release turned out to be such a dud (older clips showed it of use on bosses in a more tactical manner than just winning back a life like drinking a potion).

"number one action game" I dunno man, I envision action titles to be more entertaining in between finding bosses.
Replay value is nil besides finding the Shura boss fight, thankfully running through the game again is rather quick because it's so devoid of real content.

I'm deeply understanding why people hate the From cult in general even more from how Sekiro is being elevated into the stratosphere despite being such a flawed title. Moments of brillances overshadowed by a general vibe of meh. If you're going to do a boss rush type of game (ie a game where the only good content is fighting a unique creature) do it properly and don't even bother to include levels in your game, like what Cuphead did (cuphead is mostly boss fights with just a very few segments of traditional run&gun).

Sentinel

Arcane
No but they need complexity to the mechanics, variety of techniques and high skill ceiling to master. None of which Sekiro properly provides - specially comparing to the games I mentioned above
Would you say that AI aggressiveness is one of the core components of a great combat system and action game?
What happens when you get more satisfaction from any encounter in Sekiro because its animations, sound, mechanics and AI are so tight, than from a game like DMC where the AI is just standing there waiting to be juggled in the air for sick x20000 combos?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Severance: Blade of Darkness
Jedi Academy
Ninja Gaiden - Black/Sigma
Devil May Cry 3
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
God Hand
Ninja Gaiden II
Devil May Cry 4
Bayonetta
Dragon's Dogma
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bayonetta 2
Nioh
For Honor
Devil May Cry 5

Games like that (except Nioh) were the very reason everyone fell in love with Demon's Souls when it burst on the scene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom