Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yesterday I "finished" another Dark Soul 3 and I was thinking about lock-on/homing attacks from mobs/bosses:

Demon's Souls - no lock-on/homing attacks
Dark Souls - no lock-on/homing attacks
Dark Souls 2 - introduced lock-on/homing attacks
Dark Souls 3 - abused the shit out of lock-on/homing attacks
Sekiro - no lock-on/homing attacks

Maybe this is one of the secret ingredients why Sekiro's combat felt so good.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Sekiro's mobs/bosses still track you, just to a lesser extent than in DaS3.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Yeah, believe it or not, the fucking riflemen's shots has a slight curve to it when you move around. I can't post a proof, but it's also not even a problem because of how fast moving Sekiro is.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, believe it or not, the fucking riflemen's shots has a slight curve to it when you move around. I can't post a proof, but it's also not even a problem because of how fast moving Sekiro is.

Those are bullshit bosses. The most retarded from the entire game. I choose to forget about them :)

You're talking about Snake Eyes? The one in poison area is pretty annoying but the other one goes down pretty easy with help from Sabimaru.

Black Angel

Arcane

Those are bullshit bosses. The most retarded from the entire game. I choose to forget about them :)
You're talking about Snake Eyes? The one in poison area is pretty annoying but the other one goes down pretty easy with help from Sabimaru.
I'm not even talking about the Snake Eyes. The regular Ashina riflemen's shots also curve slightly.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
on ng+ kuroless i found snake eyes in the poison pretty hard and sabimaru useless.
btw the most bullshit enemies in sekiro are in order:
hitbox ogre
i'm midgame tier enemy with no sense to be at "beginning" of game drunkard juzou ( my friend had ragequit because of him?
i don't belong to this game demon of hatred ( it is actually an acceptable boss, just weird considering rest of game bosses)

on ng+ kuroless i found snake eyes in the poison pretty hard and sabimaru useless.

Because Sabimaru isn't supposed to work on her. It only works on the other one. The fact that she hangs around the poison pool is probably meant to clue you in that she isn't exactly scared of poison.

Fishy

Savant

Because Sabimaru isn't supposed to work on her. It only works on the other one. The fact that she hangs around the poison pool is probably meant to clue you in that she isn't exactly scared of poison.

Thought that one was easier too, you can sneak behind and open with a killing blow.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

ah that's a nice touch. btw what is the purpose of sabimaru then, if only works on 1 miniboss on the entire game?

ah that's a nice touch. btw what is the purpose of sabimaru then, if only works on 1 miniboss on the entire game?

It can poison other enemies too, I just don't know any other bosses that have particular weakness to it besides that one snake-eyes. "What's the purpose of x?" kind of applies to a lot of prosthetics in the game. I guess there's some hidden uses for many of them that I could never figure out on my own. The only ones I found to be consistently useful are firecrackers and then shuriken for knocking down airborne enemies. And Flame Vent to a lesser extent, can set a lot of enemies on fire with the charged up attack.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

It can poison other enemies too, I just don't know any other bosses that have particular weakness to it besides that one snake-eyes. "What's the purpose of x?" kind of applies to a lot of prosthetics in the game. I guess there's some hidden uses for many of them that I could never figure out on my own. The only ones I found to be consistently useful are firecrackers and then shuriken for knocking down airborne enemies. And Flame Vent to a lesser extent, can set a lot of enemies on fire with the charged up attack.
but iirc the description says sabimaru is feared by the snake syes clan or whatever. it it speak about several people. one would imagine it would be a counter against several hard enemies in one or more zones of the game. instead it's just jne miniboss

btw i too basically only used the firecrackers, the firecannon or whatever is called and shuriken .
seems they added a lot of prosthetic to make players feel there is more choices and ways to approach combat than those wich really are present. imo combat in sekiro is perfect for what is trying to achieve, a sword clashing dance. there was almost no need to add some prosthetic and skills (beside mikiri and few else) in a combat that is almost exclusively sword parry and attack .

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
I'm a scrub, so I also used the umbrella (purple for the headless/ishimen, red for fire ishinn/demon of hatred). Finger whistle for free stuns on some of these too, like a spirit-firecracker basically.

Black Angel

Arcane

Sabimaru actually still works on Snake Eyes in the Poison Pool, but I also found it didn't work on her second deathblow dot. Which is why taking her first deathblow dot via stealth rendered sabimaru completely useless... or maybe her resistance to poison increases significantly on second dot, not sure.

btw the most bullshit enemies in sekiro are in order:
hitbox ogre
I think the hitbox issue has been fixed. I just beat the ogre at base stat with no Flame Vent, step-dodging his grabs and regular attacks while also deflecting his regular attacks when I can.

Re: what's the purpose of X

There's actually a lot of cool shit you can pull off if you know how to do it. Fextralife on Youtube made videos on the prosthetics such as this:

With the upgrades, you can use switching from sabimaru to regular attacks and back to 'evade' attacks. But it's kind of hard to pull off. And it's also a kind of situation where it's, "If you can spam Harm in Arcanum, why bother using anything else?" thingy.
But yeah, among the prothestics themselves, sabimaru and finger flute are too situational, divine fan is practically useless, only the umbrella, shuriken, axe, flame vent, and firecrackers that are truly useful.

Silva

Arcane
Started the game but not feeling it.

Takes a look at options menu.

A-ha! Turns MUSIC OFF.

Now it's a souls game. :smug:

Thanks, Matador , for the suggestion. The minimalism of one-button mashing felt weird at first but it grew on me. Same for the setting and environs. At Genishiro so far but just found out Senpu Temple at Mount Kongo.

Silva

Arcane
Okay, I'm stuck. Can't go through Genishiro nor the Headless in the shinobi passageway to Senpu Temple (I didn't find it particularly difficult, I guess I'd beat him after a couple tries, but the prospect of losing all those confetti stuff made me go back).

Did I miss some other path?

I noticed there was another dark place near the spot we start the game (with a dude in love for some girl). I killed a dude in black over there and took a waterway but I turned back when I see a bright dude down there (another Headless I guess).

Should I man up and face those Headless even if run out of confetti in the process? If so, any tips?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Silva none of headless enemies are mandatory to fight. The one in underground area is skippable too, you can just take a different turn and emerge in Senpou temple.

Ivan

Arcane
Okay, I'm stuck. Can't go through Genishiro nor the Headless in the shinobi passageway to Senpu Temple (I didn't find it particularly difficult, I guess I'd beat him after a couple tries, but the prospect of losing all those confetti stuff made me go back).

Did I miss some other path?

I noticed there was another dark place near the spot we start the game (with a dude in love for some girl). I killed a dude in black over there and took a waterway but I turned back when I see a bright dude down there (another Headless I guess).

Should I man up and face those Headless even if run out of confetti in the process? If so, any tips?

You can only play this for the first time once. I'd say keep exploring and find the path yourself. You can do it!

Silva

Arcane
Thanks for the nice words, Ivan .

images

Have you fought grandma Butterfly?
You mean in what looks like a memory that you unlock? If so yes. Great fight.

And I've found a new path to Senpo Temple. Also, I've noticed the old dungeon place has only one idol, so I probably missed something there too.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks, Matador , for the suggestion. The minimalism of one-button mashing felt weird at first but it grew on me. Same for the setting and environs. At Genishiro so far but just found out Senpu Temple at Mount Kongo.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Don't forget to explore your gadgets and arts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom