Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Matador, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    What are you guys talking about? There are levels and skill trees in Sekiro, and special movies that you can bind a limited amount of. There are absolutely character builds.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth

Latest build with latest impressions.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    They want to make that souls battle Royale. Really just wait on it

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    It's more like ninja gaiden & devil may cry in that regard than dark souls.

I've seen the skill trees they're talking about. Even upgrading health has to do with combat challenges to collect items to then increase health like DMC.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Agame Savant

Agame
    B-but Dark Souls 2 is the worst game that has ever been MADEEEEE-RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. RapineDel Learned

RapineDel
    I actually think Dark Souls 3 was the B-Team but due to to the mixed reception on DS2 the A team stepped in after Bloodborne to help shape it up and ensure it was a higher standard. I'm not huge on DS3 but it's certainly more polished and has better level design, it just suffers from being too "more of the same" and probably a step in the wrong direction with how it plays (too similar to Bloodborne).

DS3 benefited from this since the initial reception was better but I think it set From back a bit, it meant the A team had a late start on their next game and it's why we've had a longer wait then normal for their next game. Sekiro is no doubt the A team and whatever the B team releases next should be of a similar quality since the release of a mixed game threw everything off balance for them last time and there will probably be more scrutiny on them from Miyazaki etc.

I also think with how the PC audience has been instrumental for their growth that the B team aren't working on A PS5 exclusive, it'll be something with more multiplayer like Dark Souls while A team probably won't go down that road so much.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    It's quite amazing how much A/B-team rhetoric gets thrown around in regards to FromSoft when the credits for the entire trilogy of Dark Souls are on the internet and anyone can check that it's a completely baseless theory. There's no "A/B Team", Dark Souls 2 was just restarted halfway into development (which already included heavy work on engine modifications) + had a director change, which perfectly explains how shit it ended up being.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. RapineDel Learned

RapineDel
    Yep, completely baseless when this has been said by the man himself:

""Dark Souls 3 is being developed by a different development team to Bloodborne, director Hidetaka Miyazaki has confirmed, with only Miyazaki and "some visual designers" at From Software having worked across both titles."

https://www.videogamer.com/news/dark_souls_3_is_being_developed_by_a_different_team_to_bloodborne

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Strange Fellow Magister Patron

Strange Fellow
    This is complete nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    One one hand I am interested in this game.

On the other I would be giving Activision money who is on my black list.

• :M :M x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Amazing.
    My claim: "The Dark Souls team from DkS1 and 3 has stayed relatively the same."
    Your counterpoint: NO IT HASN'T YOU RETARD CHECK OUT THIS ARTICLE THAT SAYS THE BLOODBORNE AND DARK SOULS 3 TEAM ISNT THE SAME
    Thanks for your worthless input. Learn to read dipshit.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. RapineDel Learned

RapineDel
    So what are you saying? That they strictly use one team for Dark Souls, hired a whole other team for Bloodborne and now that same team is just twiddling their thumbs? You also said A/B-team in regards to From Soft as a whole, only using that Dark Souls comparison as an example. Pretty obvious that you just clicked on a couple of Dark Souls games, saw a couple of credits that were the same and that was enough evidence for you to dismiss them having more then one team. You seem to have a short fuse, put that energy into doing some research next time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    No, you illiterate dumbass, I'm saying the Dark Souls 1-3 teams are largely the same. The difference in the Bloodborne team is due to the fact that at least half the team was Sony Japan Studio's.

^ Top  
  14. RapineDel Learned

RapineDel
    What am I missing here (or the thousands of other people who agree on this) with the in game credits?

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/credits

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/credits

The teams are largely different. Yes, Sony Japan had a hand in Bloodborne which is part of why they own the IP but saying Dark Souls 1-3 teams were largely the same is inaccurate.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Silva Arcane

Silva
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    There was way more traction in the dark souls, dark souls 2, scholar of the first sin, dark souls 3 & bloodborne threads and the latter was a PS4 exclusive.

Are so few of you looking forward to sekiro? It doesn't look that different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I think there could be several reasons for this. A lot of people here disliked DaS3 greatly, and because of that lost faith in the direction FROM was taking as a result. The setting of Sekiro is certain to turn many around here off, for obvious reasons. As much as codexers complain about lack of diversity in game settings, dark medieval fantasy will always be favored over something like dark sengoku historical fantasy. The lack of a full RPG system with individual stats is surely a turn-off to many. Beyond that, some might be diligently avoiding spoilers. Finally, I'm sure there is a general ambivalence towards the project because "just another FROM Software game" mentality.

All of the above were reasons I was interested, but not particularly excited about Sekiro - except the DaS3 hate which I liked alright, and Sekiro's setting which I love. UNTIL I was able to educate myself about it with some of the latest preview information. Game is now pre-ordered and I couldn't be more excited and impatient for the release. It looks magnificent. The butthurt about how much it is different from Souls games, how much more difficult it is, and lack of multiplayer from the general gaming public will also be magnificent. The game is different, which is awesome and will piss off a bunch of morons who want the same shit shoveled into their mouths time and time again. The game will still sell millions despite this and will hopefully lead to more innovative titles by FROM as we go into the future.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Sekiro is already near the top of the Steam charts and hasn't even been released yet - I'm pretty sure this is not going to be a flop.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ezekiel Savant

Ezekiel
    Are the reviews still embargoed? Seems suspicious. Like Activision doesn't want people to know something.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Reviews are usually embargoed until a day or two before release almost always.

Also, does it really matter what mainstream "game journalism" says about this game anyway, in regards to its true quality? I wouldn't worry.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ezekiel Savant

Ezekiel
    Not why I'm worried. Like I said, I'm concerned there is something they don't want people to know. They won't send review copies out early. The embargo apparently won't lift until AFTER the release.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/506379-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-review-embargo

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    So why are you worried? Bugs? Stability?

^ Top  
  23. Wunderbar Magister

Wunderbar
    microtransactions! Pay $5 for Muhyazaki points to spend them on extra resurrections, healing gourd upgrades, or exclusive Tracer skin for Sekiro.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. bataille Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

bataille
    I was so excited about the game at its announcement that I decided to purposefully avoid all articles, videos, etc. Now, a few months later, I got apathetic and uninterested in it instead. Willfully ignoring it probably tricked my brain into not caring. Kill me.

• meh meh x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Too bad. You should be very excited.

• Excited! Excited! x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)