Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Matador, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Matador Savant

Matador
    Don't be pessimist. They had the scores written before. They say nothing about the game quality except that is not a buggy mess, and the probability of being a great game increases.

^ Top  
  2. Strange Fellow Magister Patron

Strange Fellow
    I would've bet all my savings on Sekiro getting 9+ scores from profeshunal vidya journalists without batting an eye, and I've seen a total of about five minutes of gameplay. This game is probably the most surefire critical slam dunk there ever was.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Matador Savant

Matador
    The pattern of "journalists" is greatly overrate popamole AAA shit and underrate a bit some prestigious great games, without going all-in.

That's why their scores always go in the 6-10 range. For them anything below is unplayable, 6 is a very bad game and 10 is EA paying them covertly for marketing the premium rate. They are corrupt, incompetent and cowards. By giving games they don't understand or like a 7,5, cover their asses from being exposed as frauds if the game is a legit incline.

WIth Souls games they know the surer bet is to give good reviews. 9/10, something like that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    >Polygon - Extremely Positive
    :hmmm:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Why are we even talking about journalist "reviews"? They're a joke even in the normie consciousness now.

And various user's reviews are completely useless too. Putting aside review bombing for various retarded reasons they're usually full of shills and shill haters.

There are only two non-retarded ways to check out a game you're not sure about - follow a channel/reviewer you trust or just watch a let's play. With Sekiro that's not necessary, it's a From game. Sure DS3 was a largely a low-effort shovelware starved of ideas and passion but even a shovelware by From is miles above the rest of the industry so ultimately I don't regret buying it.

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Steezus Learned Patron

Steezus
    I had hoped that "Idiot reviewers score it too high" would've clued anybody in on the joke. Alas, autism codex strikes back.

^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yes, I'm completely serious Steezus.

I basically never joke.

• Button Button x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. gongal Novice

gongal

• Button Button x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I have fond memories of tormenting people in Aldia's keep for no reward other than lulz. It makes sense that Sekiro would remove the online element since DS3 made it absolutely clear that FROM hates its PvP community and looks down upon coopers. So fuck it, let them remove a feature they clearly have no passion about.

I have more respect for the company doing that than sticking to online gameplay JUST for the sake of easier shekels.

Anyway, is Sekiro shit?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    They may have passion for PvP, problem is the way they've chosen to implement it since DeS.

Invasions is an amazing design idea on paper but ultimately it brings more problems than fun. It's just way too difficult to balance the game for PvE and PvP simultaneously, maybe even impossible. There's a reason most games have their multiplayer fenced off as a separate game mode. I think someone from From even stated they decided for pure SP because balancing for both modes simultaneously is just way too much headache.

The struggle with poise throughout the franchise is the perfect example - the DS1 poise wouldn't be a problem if the game didn't have MP. They tinkered and played with it and in DS3 they just said fuck it, we can't solve it, let's just mothball it and say it's working as intended.

Another case in point is Nioh. I haven't played it but the word on the street is the PvP is a complete shitshow because the balancing isn't separate.

On the other hand Warframe understands this and not only there's a separate PvP mode but the gear and abilities are rebalanced.

^ Top  
  11. Bester Arcane Patron Vatnik

Bester
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Since yesterday. So is Fightincowboy and probably a couple more toobers.

• Rage Rage x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Dafuq have you been reading? Nioh doesn't have any real PvP (unless they added it after I stopped playing). What passes for "PvP" in Nioh is actually an AI controlled version of your character in another person's world. Don't think "balancing" matters much when you can simply outplay the AI (which isn't a very good dueler TBH).

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Steezus Learned Patron

Steezus
    I honestly don't think there's much balance needed in Souls multiplayer besides for the invaded being able to summon help.

You're getting invaded by some asshole, it's not supposed to be fair and it plays perfectly with the thematic core of those games. Demon's and DkS1 kept it simple and it was the best iteration of the system.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Honestly i am not too hot on setting as i never really liked japanese anime ninjas.
    I think i will try it though because i came to know it will actually have some stats and stuff despite initial claims which said it won't.

Combat is what will make or brake this game.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Steezus Learned Patron

Steezus
    I think the only "stats" are vitality and attack power. I definitely wouldn't expect any significant type of character building.

^ Top  
  17. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PvP is nothing but poison to that sweet sweet Skyrim LARPER audience that (partially) decided to pickup Dark Souls. When the game was still a niche thing the PvP element helped build its "hardcore street cred", but when the game became a mainstream thing the PvP community was just destined to the chopping block.

I remember waaay back when DS got ported to the PC and I was learning the ropes and people would invade me and I would just move to a place where picking up my souls would be easier. You know, because I didn't really count on "winning" any PvP. But instead of whining about "muh ballinseeee" I decided to stick around, learn things and by the time DS2 came around I had lived long enough to embarce villany. Fun times.

However, EVERY SINGLE CHANGE to online play in DS3 was about giving invaders the middle finger. Every. Single. One. The new "meta" was "summon 2 dudes to carry your worthless ass and remember to point down at invaders after ganking them". Shit became gay and unfun as all hell.

Sekiro seems to just go "ok, we're making a game for casuls, but we're not even gonna pretend otherwise this time", which is fine by me. FROM is AAA now and expecting their games not to cater to the lowest common denominator is delusion and nothing more.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    Yikes guys, Sekiro reviews are out and they're NOT GOOD
    **[even from people who are huge sellouts souls fags whose entire careers are built around souls vidyas]**

Looks like this one's a big ol FLOP

Sorry Miyahachi fans, but it may be time to commit bukake

• Funny x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Steezus Learned Patron

Steezus
    Or you know, not forcing PvP in a quasi DMC game is the logical approach. Not everything is a conspiracy out to get your precious AAA virginity.

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. polo Liturgist

polo
    Sekiro.Shadows.Die.Twice-CODEX

• incline x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. fork Savant

fork

lel, engine still complete shit.
    If you must buy, buy on PC guys.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Not sure if aimed at me, if so then you're weeping movingly but on the wrong grave, as we say.

I love PvP in Souls, even tho I'm not very good at it. And I agree with you on From caving in to normies and women. But ranting about "ballinseee" is missing the point. The PvP vs PvE balance IS a legit, long acknowledged problem, just ask uncle Google and have fun with the results for the rest of the week.

^ Top  
  23. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    It's a From game.

Prepare to Torrent a Patch Twice a Day.

• incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. polo Liturgist

polo
    I bought it, just lettin u pirates know its out there.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lutte Savant

Lutte
    What did you expect after Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3? I don't care too much about a few engine issues so long as the game is good though.

Demon's Souls had extremely bad reviews. But when Dark Souls came out and became popular it changed how journalists would treat From's games from then on.
    Journalists are consensus whores. They don't dare give a bad review to a game they hate if it has garnered too much public support.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)