Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Game is hard. I had to give up on ...

... fighting some Shinobi hunter. I assume I need to git gud or find some skill to make the fight easier.

Only played 3 hours. No technical issues in so far. The game runs smooth for me.

The combat did not click with me but I guess Bloodborne fans will ejaculate.

Anyway, the world design is amazing. Great exploration + stealth paths. I don't know what I'm doing.

Only complains so far:
- If you stealth kill someone then the Shinobi will stand up like a retard.
- If you don't have the right skill for the right mob then you better fuck off and return later.
- KB + M is harder than DaS mostly because now there are 1 button for dodge and 1 button for jump (and running is always on).
- Grab ledge: Double jump + X doesn't work. Press X + double jump works. Really annoying.
- Multiple enemies targeting is a game of chance.

Jezal_k23

Game is hard. I had to give up on ...

... fighting some Shinobi hunter. I assume I need to git gud or find some skill to make the fight easier.

I got stuck there too. Eventually I got past it. Afterwards it gets much, much worse. What the fuck...

The game has a lot of "jesus christ, what the fuck is this?" moments.

Playing a little more and the game gets considerably harder after a little while. I'm sure I'm just getting used to it and it will become much easier later with more unlocked skills, but right now I feel really limited.

Also I'm not 100% sure about the death mechanics. What is the circles that appear above your health bar when you die? I assume one of them is a timer that ticks down (some sort of penalty perhaps)...

I died a few times on the
Ogre
and some NPCs have
contracted Dragonrot, loweing my chances of a bailout when I die.
That was pretty cool.

It's a great PC version, though. Runs like a dream on my 6 year old rig (albeit with a 3 year old GTX 1070) at max on 2560x1440. Looks amazing, too.

Salvo

Arcane
Yep, feels good so far. Combat is really simple and the parry windows are big enough for a fat Kwan truck to fit.

I spent a good few minutes trying to jump and reach everywhere, only later to realize all these places are probably for later exploration.

As for the first boss

What happens if you actually beat him? IF you can beat him?

I beat him. You get absolutely nothing other than a cool chance in the cutscene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8dLFd0G0_I

Perkel

Arcane
Started playing it finished first "level" and... i am not too hot about this.
Combat seems fun but everything else doesn't grab me.

There are actually no stats to speak of and equipment and so on is just shadow of itself.
Stealth does fit the game theme and works but stuff like jumping, ledge walking etc feels like uncharted from 2007 it is very clunky and it is not fluid like rest of movement.

My problem is setting. As i already said before i don't particularly like Sengoku and after initial cinematic and level i feel this will be all about it. So i am dropping this game. Maybe i will comeback to it later.

For sure if someone likes sengoku it will be amazing game. Combat feels really tight. And breaking stance = death is great type of combat.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Managed to beat the chained ogre after about 10 tries...wasn't too hard after I learnt his patterns and doused him in fire on a regular basis.

Now for the Shinobi Hunter which has handed my butt to me a few times already.

Liking it so far - great atmosphere and the combat has enough differences to DS/Bloodborne to make it feel like it's own beast.

Mojobeard

Augur
Stealth is bad. Usually killing one dude somehow alerts everyone and trying to hide again doesn't work. Sekiroman also likes to stand up constantly, which is especially bad after you've used the grappling hook.
You can just spam R1 for most every single normal enemy, rest are parrybait. Fighting multiple enemies just doesn't work, leading to kiting and more kiting.
There's not enough not-Estus, and it doesn't really do anything; if you get hit by a big blow and heal the second big blow will still kill you.
You're weak as shit (attacks and HP wise), and enemy telegraphs range from very simple to weird delays and extra spins that are impossible to predict before seeing them. Apparently you can level up, but it requires 4 seeds, which you only get from non-respawning midbosses, so far I have 3.
Shield users can apparently be countered by the axe, haven't found it yet, and these fuckers are in groups of two with other enemies. Generally the left hand weapons have been underwhelming to say the least.
Mid-boss strategy seems to be killing all the normal dudes, then running away to reset the him, then backstabbing him, and then hoping you can deal with the second healthbar somehow.

I dunno, it's just not fun at the moment. The first 30 minutes got me hyped, and it's been downhill since then. Even dying on Bloodborne's Gascoigne over and over again felt more like I was actually learning new things, and was interested where the game was going. Here not so much.
I'll take a break and try again a little later, see if it feels better then.

Jinn

Arcane
Stealth is bad. Usually killing one dude somehow alerts everyone and trying to hide again doesn't work.

I've approached so many situations already where I isolate the strongest opponent (in my eyes), took them down, alerted a number of other enemies, then quietly faded into the darkness. I'll agree that stealth isn't the main focus of the game, but I've been able to tackle all sorts of situations with it so far, and have been impressed some of the routes I'm able to find to do it with.

You can just spam R1 for most every single normal enemy, rest are parrybait. Fighting multiple enemies just doesn't work, leading to kiting and more kiting.

If you're in a situation where you have to engage multiple enemies at once, R1 spam is going to be the worst thing for you. You have to use prosthetics and smart use of parrying. Being aggressive sometimes is part of the playstyle of this game.

There's not enough not-Estus, and it doesn't really do anything; if you get hit by a big blow and heal the second big blow will still kill you.

I can't imagine you're much further than I am, but in any given situation, 2 healing gourd has been plenty to deal with a situation, while maintaining a good difficulty.

You're weak as shit (attacks and HP wise), and enemy telegraphs range from very simple to weird delays and extra spins that are impossible to predict before seeing them. Apparently you can level up, but it requires 4 seeds, which you only get from non-respawning midbosses, so far I have 3.

You're supposed to be weak and lithe, because you are a shinobi. It's part of what makes this game a ninja game and not a souls game. Finding ways around those situations is part of the fun.

Shield users can apparently be countered by the axe, haven't found it yet, and these fuckers are in groups of two with other enemies. Generally the left hand weapons have been underwhelming to say the least.

Careful exploration is also a great strength of the game so far. You don't have to go far off the beaten path to find the axe. In fact, you'll meet an NPC who indicates where it is on the map.

Mid-boss strategy seems to be killing all the normal dudes, then running away to reset the him, then backstabbing him, and then hoping you can deal with the second healthbar somehow.

I do find this to be flawed so far, but I don't see the problem with dealing with the rest of the HP after the stealth attack.

I dunno, it's just not fun at the moment. The first 30 minutes got me hyped, and it's been downhill since then. Even dying on Bloodborne's Gascoigne over and over again felt more like I was actually learning new things, and was interested where the game was going. Here not so much.
I'll take a break and try again a little later, see if it feels better then.

As I would recommend to anyone playing this from my experience: go slow, explore a lot, observe your surroundings closely, familiarize yourself with the new mechanics, and don't expect a Souls game. It just isn't one.

PrettyDeadman

This game is pretty good!
Breazing through it with my suiperior shinobi skills, only died because my controller stopped working. I am going out to buy some batteries and kfc chicken with bear to continue playing.

randir14

Augur
Spent like 5 hours trying to get past the Shinobi Hunter and some mini boss on a horse. The game is way harder for me than Bloodborne or any of the Souls games.

Jinn

Arcane
Spent like 5 hours trying to get past the Shinobi Hunter and some mini boss on a horse. The game is way harder for me than Bloodborne or any of the Souls games.

Just wait until you get to the next guy.

Jinn

Arcane
Sorry to double post, but in fact, while trying to deal with Jozou the Drunkard, I've found that there are ways to strategically approach such a boss battle by picking off the other enemies around him without

Triggering your momentary companions attack

If they keep this up through the whole game, goddamn we have something very special on our hands.

I am absolutely loving this. Combat feels nice and freedom of movement is refreshing after hundreds of hours in Souls games. I AM GITTING GUD AGAIN, fuck yes.
As far as atmosphere goes, Souls games win I guess. And I prefer cryptic minimalistic storytelling of Souls too, that is to say - less cutscenes. But this is still better than that Nioh thing in both these departments, at least from what I can tell so far.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I get the complaints about the stealth. I think that if you intend to play like a splinter cell/metal gear/mark of the ninja game (where you can take a predator or ghost aproach) is going to dissapoint. I think the intention is to use the stealth to as just another tactical tool to situate yourself in a good position to start the combat encounters and isolate some tricky targets, then use your combat abilities and gadgets to win the fights and your great mobility to escape bad spots and reposition yourself.

I think is much more enjoyable in that playstyle and the way the devs intended. The stealth is not the main focus of the game.

Yeah it would be retarded to try and play it like a stealth game. Stealth attacks are just about thinning the herd a little. I expect to be needing them less and less as I continue to git gud.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Oh yeah, this is definitely not a pure stealth game. Combat is first and foremost and fighting multiple enemies at once is definitely possible and intended. You just need to get good, which isn't easy, because the game gets really fucking tough after the first hour.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm liking a lot the intensity of the combat. High stakes everytime with low health, high damage and enemy aggression.

One thing I am not completely clear about is Dragonrot. Does it spread after I die or when I use resurrect? Or both?
Either way I do not expect many characters to survive my first playthrough. :lol: If they made the game so you can only the best ending after you git proper gud it would be pretty cool.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jesus fucking christ, using the PS4 controller on PC is such a fucking pain. Even with InputMapper it constantly throws off notifications about exclusive mode unable to connect or some such, the USB connection switches on and off, I can't find the controller settings in Steam....is that Microsoft purposely trolling people for not using the XBOX controller?

is that Microsoft purposely trolling people for not using the XBOX controller?

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If you want to use controller on PC you gotta use XBOX pad. Not sure why you wouldn't though, both 360 and Xbox One pads are clearly superior to PS pads in my opinion.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
.is that Microsoft purposely trolling people for not using the XBOX controller?

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If you want to use controller on PC you gotta use XBOX pad. Not sure why you wouldn't though

Oh I would've, I just didn't know jack shit about controllers when I bought it a year ago. I just wanted something to play DS with and I went with the first deal I could find, which was DS4. If I knew it would be such a pain to use in W10 I would've gladly bought something else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom