Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's not representative of the hardship of meeting a boss and just wanting to end the game.
but who wanted this? If the final boss didn't kick my arse a few times I'd have been furious.

How is Nioh, btw? One review I read mentioned diablo-y loot, I don't like the sound of that. Can you play it by just trying to progress through new areas as you find them like a Souls game, or do you have to grind for good random EPICS to not get one shot by every quick attack?

Went back to a DS2 i was halfway through for a bit and am now drinking an estus every time I try to loot, thanks Sekiro.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
...snip ...

Don't mind me. I agree with you.

It's funny how people keep complaining about HP sponges, almost as if after 40 hours of gameplay they don't realize that the posture bar is the HP bar. You can end most fights in a matter of 3 minutes if you're good at the game. The only situation where "HP bloat" is a valid complaint is the bosses that don't rely on the posture bar, like Ape and Demon of Hatred.

However feel free to explain to TheSentinel why that's the case. According to him if you have problems with Isshin then you are shit :)
If you have problems with Isshin after 20 attempts and blame the game yes you are shit. It's not because of HP bloat. You literally cheated your way through the game and then tell me tools against him are useless. You shouldn't even have an opinion on the game's difficulty, much less usefulness of tools.
Learn to play.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
How is Nioh, btw?
it's alright.
One review I read mentioned diablo-y loot, I don't like the sound of that. Can you play it by just trying to progress through new areas as you find them like a Souls game, or do you have to grind for good random EPICS to not get one shot by every quick attack?
You don't need to grind in Nioh (at least on your first NG), you get plenty of loot just by progressing through the game.

Sentinel

Arcane
That's not representative of the hardship of meeting a boss and just wanting to end the game.
but who wanted this? If the final boss didn't kick my arse a few times I'd have been furious.

How is Nioh, btw? One review I read mentioned diablo-y loot, I don't like the sound of that. Can you play it by just trying to progress through new areas as you find them like a Souls game, or do you have to grind for good random EPICS to not get one shot by every quick attack?

Went back to a DS2 i was halfway through for a bit and am now drinking an estus every time I try to loot, thanks Sekiro.
Nioh isn't really a comparable game. It's an action game with pretty good customization, deeper combat and focus on loot/replayability through loot. It's worth a shot but don't expect story or particularly good atmosphere/lore/music. A lot of bosses will probably kick your butt. You don't need to grind.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nioh isn't really a comparable game. It's an action game with pretty good customization, deeper combat and focus on loot/replayability through loot. It's worth a shot but don't expect story or particularly good atmosphere/lore/music.

Or level design. Or secrets. Or anything special and surprising really. It feels like a game build to shine in a late-game loot grind, if you're into this sort of thing.

Btw the music is amazing, one of the best game OSTs of the last few years.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Previous souls games must have made you really furious then. Isshin is tuned more like a DLC or optional hard boss than a typical main story souls boss. Which leaves one to wonder what Sekiro's DLC is going to be like considering that From always felt the need to up the ante there compared to the main game. If Isshin is like that, what will this game ultimate DLC boss look like?

Ivan

Arcane
that feel when you beat Sekiro and go in for subsequent playthroughs
100.webp

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol.

Sigh whenever I think about replaying DS3 I always remember how broken the game is. Anyone tried any overhaul mod or something making more builds and weapons viable? Coz that was the shittiest part in this garbage game - how straight up terrible sorcery, miracles, armors and split damage weps were.

Silva

Arcane
Part 2 of Miyazaki interview: https://www.frontlinejp.net/2018/06...ce-interview-with-director-miyazaki-part-2-2/

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – Interview with Director Miyazaki (Part 2/2)

snip
Two points:

1. For a fixed character, it seems it's backstory and concept was poorly utilized. Differently from PS:T here I can't see anything that justifies the lack of aesthetics customization by the player (gender, appearance, clothes, etc), during char creation or after.

2. For a ninja game the core mechanic leans too much on swordfighting duels.

Cromwell

Arcane

A more open world tenchu would have been awesome. Instead of level based missions you just do your missions in an open world with various ways to acomplish your task and then getting back to your master or ninjacave or whatever to get rated on how much of a stealthy guy you were and get upgrades from there.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

A more open world tenchu would have been awesome. Instead of level based missions you just do your missions in an open world with various ways to acomplish your task and then getting back to your master or ninjacave or whatever to get rated on how much of a stealthy guy you were and get upgrades from there.
They said this isn't a stealth game (unfortunately) and that it started as a Tenchu game then added the usual Soulsborne design ideas. But yeah, a lot of combat for a ninja.

Silva

Arcane
TheSentinel , Open world /= Ubisoft & Bethesda.

Sekiro, Soulsborne, STALKERs, etc all have nice implementations of the concept.

Nothing forbids a proper ninja/Tenchu game where you do missions for you clan to get the concept right.

Cromwell

Arcane
Never read any tipps for bosses on the fuckign internet. a lot of people "told" me that the apes you fight in the second phase of the second ape fight are ghosts, which isnt true (I also assume confetti isnt really useful). You can still use firecrackers against his mate which helped me a lot since it made it somewhat possible to just bumrush her and kill her as fast as possible. The "ignore her" strategy someone here posted sadly didnt work for me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah the translation in this game seems to be borked, in the grorious Souls tradition. "Apparition" is something ghostly, non-corporeal no? So decidedly not Headless or Shichimen, that what got the on my 1st playthrough. The only real apparition is the Monk and confetti don't do shit to him. I'm guessing it's "magical user" or "magical being" or some such in the original.

Also I'm pretty sure that "Long-arm Centipede Giraffe" has nothing to do with a giraffe in the original Japanese. Plus a few other funny tidbits here and there.

Cromwell

Arcane
Yeah the translation in this game seems to be borked, in the grorious Souls tradition. "Apparition" is something ghostly, non-corporeal no?

yes, which is why I thought there would be ghosts you cant hurt without confetti because you simply cant hit them. Thats what I thought the headless were when I was warned ingame before I actually saw one.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah the translation in this game seems to be borked, in the grorious Souls tradition. "Apparition" is something ghostly, non-corporeal no? So decidedly not Headless or Shichimen, that what got the on my 1st playthrough. The only real apparition is the Monk and confetti don't do shit to him. I'm guessing it's "magical user" or "magical being" or some such in the original.

Also I'm pretty sure that "Long-arm Centipede Giraffe" has nothing to do with a giraffe in the original Japanese. Plus a few other funny tidbits here and there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/b9n0pr/sekiros_got_some_great_lore_but_its_gated_behind/

Sekiro's Got Some Great Lore, But It's Gated Behind a Terrible Translation - So I Fixed It.
renderTimingPixel.png

Mod
Lots of people have complained that Sekiro's story feels shallow or confusing compared to many of the souls games, and I blame it heavily on the translation. The plot of Sekiro and the backstory is rich and vivid, but constantly sabotaged by confusing translation choices and just plain old mistakes. No, that Centipede guy isn't named "Giraffe". Historical and mythological references are ignored or abandoned in some places, and in others unexplained to the point of confusion. Terminology is rarely, if ever, consistent - there are many items or ideas referred by different names throughout the game for some reason, even though they're the same in Japanese. It seems a very slapped together effort with multiple translators who didn't have a competent editor, and weren't communicating with one another.

I went through the English and Japanese scripts with some of my Japanese friends, and we came up with more fitting terms, fixed grammar and translation mistakes, and restored a lot of the historical references that were lost in the original. I won't say that every change I made is objectively the best, and I'm open to suggestions and discussion. If you're a history or mythology nerd that has any suggestions - please, I'm all ears.

Sekiro has so many great nods to history and mythology it's hard to know where to start explaining it all. A good source is probably the "Fountainhead," which is really something of a mistranslation. The Japanese character used here, "源”, does refer to the origin or source of a body of water - but it's also the title of a famous Japanese Royal Clan - The Minamoto Clan. There's a bit of a double entendre going on here, whenever the characters speak of the "Fountainhead Waters" It means both "Waters from the source" and "Waters of the Minamoto."

The Minamoto had fallen out of power mostly by the Sengoku Period, but were still of the royal bloodline, which explains how they manage to have a fancy palace over on a mountain. It's also notable that the Minamoto were most dominant in the Heian Period and during the Genpei War. That's why the soldiers of the Fountainhead are dressed so oddly. They're wearing the elaborate armor from that time period, armed with classical Japanese longbows which had fallen out of favor by the Sengoku period, in lieu of rifles. Driving the point home is their architecture, which is very Chinese-inspired, and resembles the Heian structures of things like the Jingu Shrine in Kyoto. https://www.japanvisitor.com/images/content_images/heian-shrine-2017-2.jpg

Even the soccer soldiers are a reference to the Heian period and the popular ball game, Kemari, during that time.

There's a lot of interesting historical context here that can help explain the lore of Sekiro, but without a proper translation it's hard to recognize things like this.

Well, here's the Mod https://www.nexusmods.com/sekiro/mods/87/

Nathir

Liturgist
Demon of hatred is a shit fight and objectively the worst boss in this game.

Also he looks like something out of DS3/Bloodborne.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom