Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

MapMan

Arcane
My somewhat aggressive Genichiro fight. Ng+, no kuro. I love this fight. Rate and subscribe.

(Sorry for the background banter).

cruel

Cipher
Finally beat Guardian Ape, around 15 tries. What a shitty boss that was, I wasn't that annoyed since Umi Bozu in Nioh. Worst part of the game so far for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sentinel

Arcane
Actually not a difficult fight. Stick to his right leg, avoid mindlessly spamming R1 because he can and will sometimes do the jump into stomp attack that you can deflect. When he does the lunge forward with his right arm on the ground, simply jump over the arm to completely avoid it.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Really upped my Sekiro game this weekend. Beat Owl and the Owl Father secret(ish) boss, along with headless ape, and all the other pre-endgame bosses. Honestly, I've liked all the bosses so far. They've been varied enough to keep you interested, and also incredibly difficult, but not in a cheap way. The second Owl fight was epic.

Black Angel

Arcane
Finally finished my first playthrough. All I can say now is that I REALLY FUCKING LOVE IT! I think From really outdid themselves this time, and this game is a definitive proof that the devs are at best when they make New Things™ instead of A Sequel™.

I want to elaborate further on the things I like and dislike about this game, but right now I really need to calm myself down. It's rare for me to want to replay a lengthy game such as this right after finishing it once, not even Dark Souls 1 managed to do that. But right now, I felt like I just want MORE of Sekiro, it's insane. I started NG+ right after beating Isshin, then proceed to wipe the floor with Genichiro :lol:

P.S. Sword Saint Isshin is, hands down, THE best final boss fight of all From's games in recent times. Absolutely much better than Gehrman, which is already better than Gwyn.

NG+ is meh, it's much more fun to start a fresh run and see how you do starting out without your toys. The GIT GUD is real in this game, in a way it reminded me more of my first Dark Souls run that its sequels did.

Black Angel

Arcane
NG+ is meh, it's much more fun to start a fresh run and see how you do starting out without your toys. The GIT GUD is real in this game, in a way it reminded me more of my first Dark Souls run that its sequels did.
Yeah, but I'd like to experience earlier parts of the game with the prosthetics, skills, and combat arts.

Having said that, I do plan to start a parallel fresh run to go for another ending.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finally finished my first playthrough. All I can say now is that I REALLY FUCKING LOVE IT! I think From really outdid themselves this time, and this game is a definitive proof that the devs are at best when they make New Things™ instead of A Sequel™.

I want to elaborate further on the things I like and dislike about this game, but right now I really need to calm myself down. It's rare for me to want to replay a lengthy game such as this right after finishing it once, not even Dark Souls 1 managed to do that. But right now, I felt like I just want MORE of Sekiro, it's insane. I started NG+ right after beating Isshin, then proceed to wipe the floor with Genichiro :lol:

P.S. Sword Saint Isshin is, hands down, THE best final boss fight of all From's games in recent times. Absolutely much better than Gehrman, which is already better than Gwyn.

Instead of NG+ which is bland, try Demon Bell + No Kuro's Charm.

Trust me, you will love it :)

sullynathan

Arcane
I played about an hour of this. it's definitely smoother and more responsive than all the other soulsborne games and has jumping. Combat is both good and odd. It seems that I really needed to be locked on with more than one enemy around because deflecting with multiple enemies isn't optimal.

I really hope eventually, spamming l1 isn't going to be the way to go, I was doing it against the first boss and first few enemies and it seemed to work.
Lastly, I also played Nioh alongside it and it plays a lot better than Sekiro. Animations are quicker and more responsive and so was movement.

Black Angel

Arcane
I really hope eventually, spamming l1 isn't going to be the way to go,
Just spamming L1 definitely won't cut it. It's obviously valid against consecutive attacks, but there are perilous attacks that can't be deflected such as swing attacks and grabs (which is sadly still broken for a lot of people even though I personally don't experience much of teleporting grab attacks). Some enemies also needs to be soften up before deflecting their attacks becomes a valid strategy. Tools and combat arts are also actually fairly useful, if not outright broken for some fights, so just experiments with everything the game has to offer.

Lambach

Arcane
mfw the Sword Saint just casually whips out a Glock

dc2.png

RaptorRex888

Learned
I just can't seem to make the switch to the way this game needs to be played. I'm unconsciously stuck in soulsborne mode where I roll roll and roll away from danger, that shit won't cut it here and it demands a parry and deflect style. When I deliberately force myself to play like that I can go OK for a while but then I get frustrated and slip back to the old ways and get stomped on. Guess I just gotta keep plugging away at it.

Black Angel

Arcane
mfw the Sword Saint just casually whips out a Glock

dc2.png
Bruh, he ain't called Isshin, the Glock Saint for nuthin'

I just can't seem to make the switch to the way this game needs to be played. I'm unconsciously stuck in soulsborne mode where I roll roll and roll away from danger, that shit won't cut it here and it demands a parry and deflect style. When I deliberately force myself to play like that I can go OK for a while but then I get frustrated and slip back to the old ways and get stomped on. Guess I just gotta keep plugging away at it.
My advice, keep training with Hanbei the Undying. Personally, every time I got frustrated by a boss or certain encounters, I just relieve my frustration on Hanbei.

Lambach

Arcane
Actually, never mind. It took a grand total of 7 or 8 attempts to bring him down. He didn't feel nearly as difficult as either the Demon of Hatred or Owl (Father), the two of whom collectively took hours and hours to defeat. His wind-up and Perilous attacks are not too hard to dodge or counter, they leave him exposed to a couple of attacks and he does them often. His Posture regen isn't all that high either and during the third phase, you get a free weapon that's fairly easy to utilize (Lightning Reversal) and does a lot of Vitality/Posture damage.

For those who continued on NG+, Kuro's Charm or no?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually, never mind. It took a grand total of 7 or 8 attempts to bring him down. He didn't feel nearly as difficult as either the Demon of Hatred or Owl (Father), the two of whom collectively took hours and hours to defeat. His wind-up and Perilous attacks are not too hard to dodge or counter, they leave him exposed to a couple of attacks and he does them often. His Posture regen isn't all that high either and during the third phase, you get a free weapon that's fairly easy to utilize (Lightning Reversal) and does a lot of Vitality/Posture damage.

For those who continued on NG+, Kuro's Charm or no?

No Kuro's charm

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Getting back to this, been busy...

Decided to ignore Genircero(sp) for the time being and head off to the temple as the old lady on the bridge suggested.

Started off at abandoned dungeon entrance, then waterway idol, etc.

I stopped for today when I reached the temple idol...may continue on later today or tomorrow.

Was kinda disappointed the fish in the waterway (I think 4(?)), didn't give up any carp scales. I think I have 5 at the moment.

I wanna buy those 2 things I think I want from the pot guy (A mask and a text I think it was)

Zep--

Black Angel

Arcane
Was kinda disappointed the fish in the waterway (I think 4(?)), didn't give up any carp scales. I think I have 5 at the moment.
There are two types of fishes, the treasure carps that give scales, and man-eating fish who almost always accompanies one treasure carp as a group. The treasure carps will always run away when they notice you, while the man-eating fishes will maneuver around to attack you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom