Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sell me on Gothic 1 and the series in general!

nilco

Novice
Hai codex bros, I just started playing gothic 1 yesterday, did 5 quest in old camp 1 in sect camp, and today I totally dont want to start the game up, but I wanna beat it because everyone says the gothic series is amazing. The controls dont bother me to much but its the run of the mill story about saving the world and the bad setting of the prison camp that makes me not wanna play it.

So please sell me on gothic 1 and the other games, explain what makes the games great, and share your stories of adventure so I wanna play!

CorpseZeb

Learned
... such strong polarity of opinion, is usually a good recommendation to look at something.

Ps. Why G-series? Story. Hard, slow beginnings. Hard combat. Overpower, revenging endings. Slow, social climbing (G1/G2). Hugie and prettie world (G3 case). And lack of women (G1).

Ps2. Ok, there's was... two of their kind in the G1?

Morkar Left

run of the mill story about saving the world and the bad setting of the prison camp

If you think that way about it than don't bother with playing it. The Gothic story was highly appreciated because it had no Save-The-World (TM) story and the prison setting was considered refreshing from the ususal village-idiot hero start.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gothic series is highly overrated. Go play Shepard Effect 3 instead :troll:

Deleted member 7219

Gothic 1: Interesting setting, I didn't get far into it because of the controls (worst control system I've seen in an RPG). I've got it on the backburner for now, will return to it at some point.

Gothic 2: Same setting plus a little bit more, better controls, interesting factions too. I think this pretty much decided what direction Pirahna Bytes would be taking for the future. I got very close to the end before I gave up.

Gothic 3: Best of the series. Install the latest community patch and you shouldn't have any problems. Outstanding art direction and soundtrack, more quests than you can shake a stick at, and lots of different endings depending on the paths you choose. Great RPG.

Gothic 4: Arcania: AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

titus

Arcane
Patron
The gothic series is a worthless piece of dung. Don't even bother.

No.

Hai codex bros, I just started playing gothic 1 yesterday, did 5 quest in old camp 1 in sect camp, and today I totally dont want to start the game up, but I wanna beat it because everyone says the gothic series is amazing. The controls dont bother me to much but its the run of the mill story about saving the world and the bad setting of the prison camp that makes me not wanna play it.

So please sell me on gothic 1 and the other games, explain what makes the games great, and share your stories of adventure so I wanna play!

You either love it or you hate it. For me it was the feeling. Scared to go out in the woods at night, because the wolves would rape you. Everyone tries to scam you into something. Some bully you into cleaning their house, etc. Then things evolve, and you get stronger, and stronger, and you come back and 1hit-kill every one of them who gave you shit. Sweet revenge. Almost every game that PB made has that feeling, it's basically their signature. That and some gameplay ruining bugs ;)

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dont listen to haters, Gothic 4 Arcania is the best game in the series and a must play. Its magnificent world design, story, gameplay and voice acting will leave you breathless. Some people dislike it for its difficulty but for a fine codex specimen such as you it will provide a little challenge, so get and start enjoying Arcania.

Deleted member 7219

Dont listen to haters, Gothic 4 Arcania is the best game in the series and a must play. Its magnificent world design, story, gameplay and voice acting will leave you breathless. Some people dislike it for its difficulty but for a fine codex specimen such as you it will provide a little challenge, so get and start enjoying Arcania.

:excellent:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Why do you force yourself to play a game you dont enjoy?

Malpercio

Arcane
Gothic 2 is imo one of the best action-rpg of all the time, it also has one of the best city ever.

Tried G3 a couple of times but i couldn't get past the idiot beginning and stupid combat.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really liked G1's setting, the music, the factions, the characters. The sense of danger while wandering around (especially at night) is great.

Quests and story are nothing to write home about, but they're serviceable.

The controls... this is a love them or hate them. I quite liked them, so far as to use the same system in G2. It certainly beats the current system of 'mash buttan till you win'. In G1 and G2 you have to carefully time your parry and counter-attacks.

G2 is G1 more polished and bigger. But in G3 some of Gothic 'feel' was lost somewhere.

adure

Liturgist

if you dont like the first hours stop playing.
its not a game for you.

and you have to play in german voice over !
other ones suck balls.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
My feelings can be summed up easily: If you don't like G1 and G2 you have shit taste in games. The setting of Gothic 1 is probably one of the best you'll ever find in any RPG (ARPG or otherwise). If you have to be 'sold' on it you are beyond redemption.

Gothic 3 is hardly the best in the series (please note Matt thinks New Vegas is one of the best games ever made) -- it had good ambition but, bugs aside, the design is severely flawed and it plays out like a single player MMO.

Arcania is not made by the same developers and is -- without exaggeration -- one of the worst games I have ever played. If I were one of its developers I would be utterly embarrassed to have produced something so shallow and moronic.

nilco

Novice
My feelings can be summed up easily: If you don't like G1 and G2 you have shit taste in games. The setting of Gothic 1 is probably one of the best you'll ever find in any RPG (ARPG or otherwise). If you have to be 'sold' on it you are beyond redemption.

Gothic 3 is hardly the best in the series (please note Matt thinks New Vegas is one of the best games ever made) -- it had good ambition but, bugs aside, the design is severely flawed and it plays out like a single player MMO.

Arcania is not made by the same developers and is -- without exaggeration -- one of the worst games I have ever played. If I were one of its developers I would be utterly embarrassed to have produced something so shallow and moronic.

Of the top of my head I will name 5 aRPGS/RPG's and 1 turn based strategy game : Darksouls, Demons souls, Never winternight 2, Oblivion (atmosphere was nice) and X-COM.

I feel the atmosphere and setting in gothic 1 is bland and strange. I will force myself through it to see what the fuzz is about tho. Just joined the old camp 5 min ago.

Ringhausen

Augur
nilco said:
Oblivion (atmosphere was nice)
nilco said:
I feel the atmosphere and setting in gothic 1 is bland and strange.
:/

It had an excellent muddy, depressive autumn atmosphere, somewhat like Morrowind. If you want sunny, colourful, feel good stuff then skip to G2. It's a better game overall and the beginning of G1 is its best part anyway.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you don't like it don't play it; you don't need people on the internet to tell you what to do.

A lot on the Codex don't like Gothic games.

A lot of games that are "good" or "great" seem like shit to some players. Either because those people are horrible people or because they have different priorities.

LoPan

Learned
Doesn't it take until nearly the end of the game before you learn you are to save the world? Before you learn some mind-walking demon could cause a vague amount of harm to the immediate region you are merely trying to dispel, or at least somehow flee, the prison colony.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom