Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview Sensuki Interviews Josh Sawyer about Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Not to criticise you, just something I notice again and again:
    A good interview should be:

Good question 1.
    Answer 1.
    In depth question about answer 1. (if required)
    Answer 1.1
    In depth question about answer 1.1. (if required)
    Repeat as often as required.
    Good question 2.
    and so on.

Sure, that's very rare in journalism in general and the only interviewees who put up with that are those who severely need the publicity (or those who are proud of their products). This is usually not the case with leading devs from middle to major studios who can take their pick from slobberin, yes-men gaming "journos".
    But this kind of good interview is usually not even possible with the "send in questions". Which is the reason I don't like them. But I did like your additional info. Creepy stalker obsessive behavior is good for journalism ;)

^ Top  
  2. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Shannow

Yeah you're definitely right about Q&A stuff like this, but unfortunately the Codex does not often get to do real time interviews. I would love to do an audio interview in the future where I could get the opportunity to do something like that and then transcribe it.

^ Top  
  3. cpmartins Cipher

cpmartins
    Very good read, a lot of things not found on the mainstream coverage. Never knew talents were that game-changing, even warranting a late-development schedule as not to completely break the intended balance, although Sniper (perks count as talents?) did change the game in a huge way for me in Fallout 2.

Also is rope kid Josh? I'd been following the thread on SA and knew he was involved, but not the man himself.

^ Top  
  4. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Yes that's Josh.

^ Top  
  5. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Haven't read so good interview in quite some time. All questions are throughly thought out. It's so unfair to criticize Sensuki for not doing it live...

^ Top  
  6. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    If you want to know, they ran out of money in the last act as always.

^ Top  
  7. Overboard Arcane

Overboard
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Why would you care if the text is provided? (with an opportunity to have back and forth about a question).

I'm not Guy Cocker.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    I don't think, that was a criticism of your aims, more a codex-way to say :love:

If you don't know the movie, the adress gives a hint. (Basically it's the same bad joke I made in my first post ITT.)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Yeah what movie is that? Reminds me of Matilda

e: ah, Misery. Nah haven't seen it. After reading the synopsis, I think I get it now ;)

Watch out Obsidian if you don't use IE style selection circles ...

:australia:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. crawlkill Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

crawlkill
    given the game's intentional accessibility, its tried-and-true writing staff and the fact that the new Divinity is somehow STILL on top of Steam's lists, I'm pretty sure PoE is going to shake the earth. would not be surprised if it lead to a serious paradigm shift in big-name game development.

^ Top  
  12. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    I don't get that impression at all. There's one boss fight I don't particularly like, but other than that it's fine, especially narrative-wise.

^ Top  
  13. Rake Arcane

Rake
    Narrative wise, while not bad, it was simple and unambitious, so no wonder they pulled it off.

^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    It was pretty banal, but it was also thematically consistent and had a lot of genuine gray morality from both protagonists and antagonists. Much better written than NWN2 OC or SoZ.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Rake Arcane

Rake
    :lol: That's not exactly a high bar. Next you will tell me that Jayne was better than modern Bioware's antagonists. If it was worse we would have a problem

^ Top  
  16. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I wish you'd had asked if the scripting language has loops (for iterating over collections, like the party npcs, the visible enemies etc).

This is the main reason why there is no mod for 'more than 6 characters' in baldurs gate. The mass of scripts that just go 'do X for party member 1 if it exists'... 'do X for party member 6 if it exists'.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)