Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Sentinels of Freedom - superhero turn-based tactics

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by CryptRat, Apr 2, 2018.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Steam page:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/underbite/sentinels-of-freedom/posts/2612386

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    uggy as fuk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Attacks that cost more if your opponent has defenses. That's certainly... innovative.

I like damage types, but these aren't anchored to an existing mental model, so they will not work well.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    True, I also can't quite see this working out well in practice. You'll constantly be hovering your mouse over each enemy to check who is resistant and who isn't - that is, if that information is actually shown.

Some standards are standards for a reason ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    That reason being incapability of some people to learn new things?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not incapability, but unwillingness.
    And in this case, it's just not necessary.
    Why do something like this if a classic RPS scheme as used by other games would have worked just as well?

Especially if it means going for something nobody has any relation to whatsoever like "zaark!". What is "zaark"? I have no idea, so I'd need to read it all up.
    Was it just named "plasma" or whatever it actually stands for, everyone would immediately have something fitting in mind without having to read it up.

This, however, is just awkwardness for the sake of itself, which is never good design.
    The damage types here won't be anything new or unseen, they'll just have weird names.
    It's like playing "rock, paper and scissors", but naming it "fump, wump and dump" just because.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Yeah, I don't mind getting used to new systems, but there's a big difference between "Lasers are good against steel armor, plasma is good against energy shields" or "Spears are good against cavalry, swords are good against infantry" and "Zzoop is good againt Foom, Sproing is good against Blam". Excuse me, what?

Yes, Thonk and Pingg and Zzap are all common comic book onomatopoeia for hitting dudes with attacks. But they're way too abstract for the players to be able to get a good grip on them.
    Yes, Thonk sounds like a heavy fist punch while Zaakt sounds like a quick punch or a lightning attack or something. But it's still too abstract, it's not half as self-evident and easy to grasp as "Arrows are weak against shields, but axes are strong against shields".

We'll see how it looks in-game. It might be more logical when you see it within context.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. J1M Arcane

J1M
    It will be garbage. It's a classic designer mistake. They created something that they, with their limited math skills, consider mathematically balanced and elegant. But good design isn't about making everything balanced. When the feedback comes in they will believe the design is correct, but that people just didn't get it, and respond by adding really long tooltips or paragraphs of tutorial text.

If this was really a brilliant idea the defenses wouldn't be called things like "block" and "deflect", they would be called "thud!" and "boing!".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/underbite/sentinels-of-freedom/posts/2696020

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Delayed to April: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/underbite/sentinels-of-freedom/posts/2739898

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/underbite/sentinels-of-freedom/posts/2779662

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I liked Freedom Force a fair bit back in the day, though I found the combat system only okay and the character creation absurdly easy to minmax (it turned out that a guy who could punch hard quickly and run fast was better than every other super hero combined, as I recall). Looking at this, I'm reminded that really the only thing that made FF so enjoyable was the successful Silver Age comic book aesthetics. The cel shaded anime 3D art in those storyboards doesn't really invoke any similar reaction to me; it doesn't even feel like a comic book game.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    [​IMG]
    Screen from discord.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Canoli Cipher

Darth Canoli
    ^ Top  
  16. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Modron Arcane

Modron
    This is out now

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That was sudden:

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Not if you got the updates it ain't.

^ Top  
  21. Blutwurstritter Learned

Blutwurstritter
    Is this also silly and cheesy like Freedom Force ? That made half of the charm for me.

^ Top  
  22. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Uhh, only 62% score on Steam. Seems it was released unfinished like most games these days.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Sadly it isn't. It doesn't have that vibe. It's character customizer is ok and the missions at least have varied objectives, but I'm finding it damn easy, or my character is stupidly good.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    That and the destructible environment, and high damage output of your characters (compared to the targets' health). Attrition based gameplay with no environmental damage doesn't work as well.

^ Top  
  25. Sloul Learned

Sloul
    So, how is the game? I was extremely interested and ready to buy asap, but the mixed reviews on steam put me on hold.
    I heard the game is too easy, is it true?

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top