Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News September Madness - INSOMNIA: The Ark Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: INSOMNIA: The Ark; Studio Mono

INSOMNIA: The Ark is a retro-futuristic dieselpunk RPG from a Russian team called Studio Mono, set aboard a colossal space station that's been floating through deep space for centuries. Originally known as just InSomnia, the game has existed in some form or other since at least 2011. It was Kickstarted in 2014 and again in 2016, gradually changing from an isometric RTwP-type game to a third person action-RPG along the way. Despite such changes, our community remained interested in the game, intrigued by its unique setting and Fallout-inspired design. After a flurry of promotion over the past few weeks, INSOMNIA's long journey has finally come to an end. Here's its launch trailer and description:

INSOMNIA is a dieselpunk sci-fi RPG about the slowly degrading remnants of human society attempting to survive on an abandoned space metropolis. Develop your character, explore lovingly handcrafted locations, interact with peculiar NPCs and factions, craft equipment and try to stay alive in this brutal world.

Welcome to Object 6 - a colossal space station set on a dismal 400-year journey in search of a new home. Your character wakes from cryogenic sleep — stricken with a rare psychological disease and unknowingly holding humanity’s last hope in his bare hands...

Exploration is rewarding…and dangerous

Survive hunger, thirst, fatigue while searching for valuable technology and resources in over 70 unique locations. Pay attention - INSOMNIA’s nuanced world can conceal unexpected quests from treacherous characters, as well as savage enemies and deadly hazards.

Personalized journey

Break free from character classes and unwanted grind with a flexible perk system combined with a large amount of craftable items and equipment. Choose your gear wisely - every armor and weapon type in the game has its own tactical virtues and shortcomings.

Сhoices matter

Navigate a non-linear storyline with ‘points of no return’ that encourage unorthodox approaches and 12 different story endings. Your character’s chosen background plays a role in how you interact with NPC’s and factions, as well as influences the outcomes of certain quests.

A rich universe

Experience a neo-noir world with elements of dieselpunk. Witness man-made apocalyptic landscapes imbued with a dark ambient soundtrack and echoes of a decaying civilization.
    The game is apparently pretty cool but also quite janky, as its Steam reviews will attest. It seems hard to believe it'll survive, coming out at the tail end of this crazy month. But if you've been looking for something more actiony to play, it might be a good choice. You can grab INSOMNIA on Steam for $30, with a 10% discount until next week.

• Brofist x 8
    • incline x 2
    • decline x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    Parrots:
    At last you woke up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ItsChon Liturgist Patron

ItsChon
    Parrots:
    How much longer do we have to put up with this fucking ad now that the game is out?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Safav Hamon Scholar The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    Parrots:
    Love this game! If you can get over the poor optimization, janky combat, horrible UI, and numerous glitches this is a glorious open world RPG.

• incline x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Agame Learned

Agame
    Parrots:
    More slav incline!?!?!?!?!

• incline incline x 8
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Parrots:
    Imagine if this was VD's game.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
    Parrots:
    I really think they have something very cool here, it just needs another patch or ten

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Been playing this for a couple hours and it seems really cool. It's kind of like if Fallout 1 and Gothic had a love child, then shot it into space. Love the setting and the atmosphere, RPG systems seem nice, and gameplay is fun so far. Clearly in need of some patching, but definitely deserving of more attention. It's interesting enough to pull me away from Pathfinder: Kingmaker for a couple hours, anyway. That's about as high a praise I can give an RPG right now.

• Brofist x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. RK47 will not happy agian Patron

RK47
    Parrots:
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Man, the unfinished translation made it feel like an early access game but I agree, the ambitions of this game is pretty clear to see. The graphical settings also disappoint, I wanted to disable motion blur and stuff and couldn't see any. A shame really. If they're selling it for $49, I'd refund it straight away, but the lowered price tag is also triggering my suspicion that this is a desperate cash grab.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kev Inkline Arcane

Kev Inkline
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    THIS.

Also:

September Madness
    September Madness
    September Madness
    September Madness

September Madness
    September Madness

September Madness
    S E P T E M B E R M A D N E S S

Please stop.

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • butthurt x 3
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Puteo Novice

Puteo
    Parrots:
    I've put 6 hours into the game so far and it's really damn good.

The Fallout + Gothic comparison is spot on, it's clear the developers were fans of both games and it feels like a much more faithful sequel than the legitimate IP holders of those two franchises have given since.

It has two main problems with it that are really putting people off.

1. Terrible optimization, I have a 1080 so this isn't really a problem for me but I still see the FPS dip into the 50s on occasion.

2. There are a ton of amateurish bugs in the first 30 minutes of the game. I had: ingame audio playing over a cutscene, turrets floating above the ground, horrible low resolution textures, and the map for an early game location - one of the most complicated, showing up completely in russian.

After the first 30 minutes, the bugs drop off significantly to about the level of post-patch Oblivion or Elex. Nothing was game-breaking and again, after that rocky start it's been pretty much smooth sailing, but I almost gave up because of it.

Shame that the bugs were so front-loaded, that's gotta be killing their sales right now.

Overall, if you liked Elex and you have a good PC I'd highly recommend it; especially at the price point it's at.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You got me there

And lose me then.

I'll play it in 2022 then

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Parrots:
    I fucking love September Madness

[Edit] The Insomnia ad is indeed obnoxious.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Elex Scholar

Elex
    Parrots:
    we are lucky september will going to end soon.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    'bout time, Infi.

But seriously guys, wait a month or two. There's a damn fine game here, but the bugs don't do her any good.

^ Top  
  16. Safav Hamon Scholar The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    Parrots:
    Buy now and wait. The developers likely ran out of cash and need support. It's only $26 right now, but when polished it will be worth much more than that.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Van-d-all Learned

Van-d-all
    Parrots:
    I was wandering when this pops up, since the game was released on Friday...

^ Top  
  18. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I'm going to have to buy this.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    Parrots:
    Looking forward to 'October Insanity' :bounce:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Trailer looks awesome!
    Codex is praising it!
    It is released now that I got P:KM, BT4 and soon Vigilantes to play :(
    It seems to be action rpg combat which I hate :(

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Parrots:
    But not your bad grammar.

^ Top  
  22. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Parrots:
    :shredder:

^ Top  
  23. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    No RPGs out in October except Cthulhu. Nothing in November either except Underworld and whatever it is that Bethesda's doing with Fallout now.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Parrots:
    Also Vigilantes and AC:Odyssey.

• Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)