Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Serpent in the Staglands, a Darklands inspired RPG with cool pixel art, now on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Mar 28, 2014.

1. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Guy Gavriel Kay literature is one of their inspirations? Interesting.

^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Yeah, and Diablo was inspired by Ultima 7.

^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Animu avatar -> faggotry -> no surprise.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. GlutenBurger Cipher

GlutenBurger
    I thought the name sounded pretty cool until I heard it pronounced with an American accent.

The choice of reward tiers is surprisingly tasteful. Only two possible spots for backer content. The projected release date still seems overly ambitious for two people, though, even if they've already got the mechanics down.

^ Top  
  6. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
  7. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    They just don't have the intelligence, acumen, professionalism, and culture of the late thirties/early forties Microprose programmers and designers who made this in the glory days of PC gaming, it is impossible. Prepare for another gimmicky, poorly realized, and culturally shallow indie game. 99% of indie games are either garbage, severely lacking in one or many areas, or terribly unsatisfying and forgettable, and this one is certainly no exception.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    You'd rather it be culturally enriched, you LIBRUL?!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Sounds nice enough. Backed. (Though I find the pricing quite "courageous". The early adopter tag was ok, but I would not have donated more.)

^ Top  
  10. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Haha, not sure if serious.

First, Whalenought is the name of the studio, not the game. Did you expect Dead State to be an RPG about two-headed bears?

Second, nought means nothing or zero. If you saw zero whales, you saw whalenought.

As for Serpent in the Staglands, I like it. It actually implies that something is up and mentions a character. Yo, there's a serpent around here that needs to be dealt with in some way. It sure beats hell out of Soulfire: Sword of Destiny or Dragonspell: Mists of Wonder or any of those other Nonsense Compound Word: Vagueness of Ambiguous Concept type names. Using animals in the names immediately evokes life and motion. Much better than the flatness of nebulous, empty bombast I often see.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Yeah, I really like the name too. Very cool. Reminds me of the name of a band: Wolves In The Throne Room.

^ Top  
  12. belated Augur

belated
    Combat looks like a bit messy but backed.

^ Top  
  13. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    lol. This isn't coming out in December.

Yeah. $25? Seems like they'd've done much better to just leave it open at $15.

Backed. Any RPG with Philosophy and Linguistics as skill choices is bound to be at least worth checking out.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Depends how acquainted with philosophy they actually are.

^ Top  
  15. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Backed this as well.*

Overall, they have done a great job of launching this KS and presenting their game. However, their stretch goals are a little... odd. Not so much in what their promising (except for the co-op part which I could care less about) but in the price ranges. An extended soundtrack for this game just doesn't seem important but at only $1K more, eh...sure why not. Then a HUGE jump to $25K for a map extension?! That's 1 1/2 times their original KS goal and seems quite a (pardon the pun) stretch and then only $1K more for another map extension? KS stretch goals are usually spaced out to encourage your backers to "get to the next one." You want them to have that race type mindset to continue to pledge or do the PR forum leg-work of getting new pledgers.

Regardless, it looks fun and will clearly meet at least their initial goal.

Show Spoiler
    Still backed it without the ability to get a boxed copy :P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    I think it looks good; if this turns out well I'll be pleased.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MrEvilGuy Educated

MrEvilGuy
    My favourite part of Darklands was continuously pausing to make my archers run away while my swordsmen took care of business.

If this is in Stagland as well I will back.

^ Top  
  18. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Boom. That was fast.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  19. Shevek Arcane

Shevek
    Ya, their stretch goals are weird. I would put up stuff like enhanced game systems (perks/feats/whatever), more monsters (or quests/etc), added graphical variants of whatever, orchestral score, etc etc. Still, it looks promising to me. I wouldnt back above $15 but at $15 I am in.

^ Top  
  20. GlutenBurger Cipher

GlutenBurger
    I like their stretch goals. Makes them look sincere. I'm a little bemused with all these Kickstarters weighing themselves down with snake oil pitches promising a product that will cure bronchitis, help the baby sleep, and polish the silverware to a blinding gleam, if only you give them enough money. All the while the obligations are piling up which drag the release date further away from the intended deadline and closer to the point of the project being abandoned on account of bankruptcy. It's like they don't expect to make any sales on the finished product, and must make all their money now or never.

These two have set themselves a tight deadline which they are unlikely to meet, but at least they give the impression of being seriously committed to making a go at getting as close to it as possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    $15 pre-order. Based on what I have seen from cRPGs on Kickstarter, I should I expect full version of the game to be $60

$1,800 to go and 30 days left on KS. If they don't reach funded status I have half a mind to give it to them myself.

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  23. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Darklands production cost was around 3 million USD back then. How a two man team with ten thousands US dollars can pull it off?

^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Source?

^ Top