Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Serpent in the Staglands, a Darklands inspired RPG with cool pixel art, now on Kickstarter

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
They probably spend it all on that massive box and manual.

:love:

And this clearly is no Darklands. It has some inspirations. It does not have the entire map of the Holy Roman Empire as a playground nor does it have to write an entire new engine for itself.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Darklands production cost was around 3 million USD back then. How a two man team with ten thousands US dollars can pull it off?
Unity.

Joking aside, writing a game engine is a huge undertaking, so not having to worry about that can save a lot of time that can be devoted to creating content.

Durwyn

Prophet
I find it really weird that this thing gathers rather mildly excited response from The Codex. I know that their record may be questionable (mobile thingies) and RTWP may irk some the wrong way but still they have already shown some truly great material. Seems like some people here prefer to shit money onto preprepreproduction game-promises the likes of Fargo or Fun-ender than give pennies to underdogs who have something to show.

Durwyn

Prophet
they have already shown some truly great material.

Such as?

All I can see are a few pretty gifs and a vid of characters whacking eachother.
Still more than Wastland 2, PoE and Torment combined during their kickstarters, unless you count good concept art as a proof of future quality of final product.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find it really weird that this thing gathers rather mildly excited response from The Codex. I know that their record may be questionable (mobile thingies) and RTWP may irk some the wrong way but still they have already shown some truly great material. Seems like some people here prefer to shit money onto preprepreproduction game-promises the likes of Fargo or Fun-ender than give pennies to underdogs who have something to show.

You've been here long enough to know that this is a pretty damn warm reception by Codex standards. Certainly warmer than I expected.

Of course, by posting that you might be ruining it now by bringing out all the contrarians. :M

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
they have already shown some truly great material.

Such as?

All I can see are a few pretty gifs and a vid of characters whacking eachother.
Still more than Wastland 2, PoE and Torment combined during their kickstarters, unless you count good concept art as a proof of future quality of final product.

A u was murzynów biją

Well bro, I ain't negating the fact that the PoE and Torment kickstarters were terribad (Wasteland is excused for being set up at the start of the KS craze) and that everyone who backed them is a faggot :troll: but that doesn't really make this KS any more legit.

Durwyn

Prophet
A u was murzynów biją
:)

Well bro, I ain't negating the fact that the PoE and Torment kickstarters were terribad (Wasteland is excused for being set up at the start of the KS craze) and that everyone who backed them is a faggot :troll: but that doesn't really make this KS any more legit.
Footage of working combat system, inventory, hints of character system and skills usage. Not just detailed one-thousand word long elaborates on what will the design be based on when we'll finally get to designing the actual game. Hard material.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
8bde73820ac53aa3d5cef26d1bfcf302_large.gif

Critical spell failures? :bounce:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Whalenought Studios 4 minutes ago

RPG Codex has been a fantastic and a huge supporter through the start of the campaign, excited we got some interest from them! We're also both thrilled and somewhat terrified about their monster concept thus far. We love it.

Sucking up to the Codex, are you?

:brodex:

Repressed Homosexual

Do you seriously think that two hipster Mac owners with 10k who have spent years posting memes on Facebook and viewing cat videos on Youtube can make something that even approaches it in intelligence and quality of content? The ones who made Darklands were very intelligent, extremely educated, professional computer engineers. This is the company that made extremely detailed simulators, and something like Falcon 4.0, which had a 400+ pages manual and could have been used to train real pilots. Their standards compared with the very best the computer industry ever had, to them this was an extremely serious craft. This is so miles beyond stupid gimmicky indie garbage that it is beyond ridiculous.

Not to mention that back then, people were still ready to pay $50+ for a quality game instead of protesting $10 was too high for a indie game. It is simply impossible.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Of course two people can't produce something of the same quality that whole team with a major budget can. Not unless they are multi-talented and are willing to spend a lifetime on it.

They can however, create something enjoyable if they are realistic with their own limitations.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So is this inxile junior edition? Mobile developer manages to fund hardcore CRPG but then fails to live up to lofty expectations of the codex.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What expectations?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom