Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What else would they be working on? They failed a KS but its obviously a passion project.
Honestly? Their day jobs I assume. Somehow I'm not picturing these 3 guys spending 40 hours a week on 7DS or drawing any kind of paycheck. I do believe they're working on it, and it's good to see they're doing "dev-y" things like going to this conference, but they're not great communicators and how they're spending most of their time is anyone's guess.

The whole company was founded and money raised on producing this game.
What money? Do they have an investor/publisher? Honest question. I don't remember hearing about them having any funding except out of their own pockets. Are they rich?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
As far as I remember David Klein was basically just a fanboy of the goldbox games who tried to bring the SSI band back together. Since he is the producer I assume he brought some money in to fund the new company.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I brought this up before, but can't most of these guys take an early retirement? They're techies who've been working through the golden age of tech for the past 20 years and were employed at SSI for like 10 years before that. Your 50s is a little early too retire but it isn't as though it's impossible if you work in a high paying industry.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't see how I'm wrong. They should have made at least 2 million dollars a piece by this point in their lives, enough to buy their West Coast houses, offset the cost of living, send multiple kids to college, and have a 401k.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I'm calling it now that this will be the next instant classic released, unless Red Hand of Doom is released first. It is a shame people are too fucking stupid to fund this or the Guido Henkelgould game. People may talk about the rpg renaissance, but they fail to add an asterisk stating people are still fucking idiots with shitty taste and a penchant to let other's do their thinking for them on the hipster-wagon of monkeys retards.

How can you see your way clear to naming this an instant classic when the gold box games were very much in the vein of 'contentless dungeon crawls' that you think are shit?

I don't think they are shit. They have plenty of content and what is wrong with them is due mainly to AD&D and not the games themselves. The Gold Box AD&D games are shit in my opinion compared to the superior in every way besides UI Buck Rogers crpgs (which was also AD&D based but way more advanced and far better). Buck Rogers had mechanical meat along with content. I don't see how this can be disputed. Just download a Buck Rogers game from an abandonware site and compare chargen with the other goldbox games. Or itemization, skill check usage, space ship combat, boarding, etc.

Also, SSI made a lot, lot more than just the Goldbox games. SSI was a company you could trust to put out good rpgs. There was nothing better than getting an SSI game and looking through their little advertisement brochures to see what rpgs were coming up. Most of the other companies were hit or miss, and were not the rpg kings like SSI. Granted SSI put out war games and tried some things like the Genie action game, but more than anyone besides Troika they were trusted rpg developers. I think beating out even Sir-Tek by some since SSI was way, way more prolific and Sir-Tek has only 4 games I liked (granted I really, really liked them though).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sir-Tech had Wizardry 1-8 and Jagged Alliance 1-2, and only one or two weak CRPGs I can think of (Druid).
New World Computing also had a very good quality to quantity ratio with the whole Migh&Magic franchise.
SSI lost their way after Dark Sun IMO. The second Buck Rogers game was also a letdown (same enemies only with bloated HP and far too many random encounters).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'm calling it now that this will be the next instant classic released, unless Red Hand of Doom is released first. It is a shame people are too fucking stupid to fund this or the Guido Henkelgould game. People may talk about the rpg renaissance, but they fail to add an asterisk stating people are still fucking idiots with shitty taste and a penchant to let other's do their thinking for them on the hipster-wagon of monkeys retards.

How can you see your way clear to naming this an instant classic when the gold box games were very much in the vein of 'contentless dungeon crawls' that you think are shit?

I don't think they are shit. They have plenty of content and what is wrong with them is due mainly to AD&D and not the games themselves. The Gold Box AD&D games are shit in my opinion compared to the superior in every way besides UI Buck Rogers crpgs (which was also AD&D based but way more advanced and far better). Buck Rogers had mechanical meat along with content. I don't see how this can be disputed. Just download a Buck Rogers game from an abandonware site and compare chargen with the other goldbox games. Or itemization, skill check usage, space ship combat, boarding, etc.

Also, SSI made a lot, lot more than just the Goldbox games. SSI was a company you could trust to put out good rpgs. There was nothing better than getting an SSI game and looking through their little advertisement brochures to see what rpgs were coming up. Most of the other companies were hit or miss, and were not the rpg kings like SSI. Granted SSI put out war games and tried some things like the Genie action game, but more than anyone besides Troika they were trusted rpg developers. I think beating out even Sir-Tek by some since SSI was way, way more prolific and Sir-Tek has only 4 games I liked (granted I really, really liked them though).

OK good, you passed the sanity check.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

What about Microprose then?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Can anyone summarize this for me? I was a huge fan of SSI, I read the OP but curious what has happened more recently.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Doh. I'm guessing they are a really small team. I would love something that looks like Legend of Grimrock but has more depth to it. Eye of the Beholder 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, the dungeon where you can't rest was terrifying.

I hope they keep things small and focused. No open world, Cryengine, voice acting, etc.

Doh. I'm guessing they are a really small team. I would love something that looks like Legend of Grimrock but has more depth to it. Eye of the Beholder 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, the dungeon where you can't rest was terrifying.

I hope they keep things small and focused. No open world, Cryengine, voice acting, etc.

And for God's sake, no crafting

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow I just watched the Kickstarter video, it looks more like Pools of Radiance style than first person. It reminded me of Blackguards and Aarklash Legacy which are some of my favourite games from the past 10 years. Kinda surprised they didn't succeed. It looks like just the kind of thing I love. Although Kickstarter seems to be more about peoples ability to make shit go viral more than anything.

Roqua

Prospernaut

What about Microprose then?

They had some good games. I can only think of two off the top of my head, and only the name of Darklands.

Sierra had QfG and at least the English versions of the RoA games. There were a ton of good studios back then and they are all gone. And when people had a chance to prove they have slightly decent taste by funding this game or the Guido Henkelstein game they remembered they really only like console games and pretend to like rpgs.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Wow I just watched the Kickstarter video, it looks more like Pools of Radiance style than first person. It reminded me of Blackguards and Aarklash Legacy which are some of my favourite games from the past 10 years. Kinda surprised they didn't succeed. It looks like just the kind of thing I love. Although Kickstarter seems to be more about peoples ability to make shit go viral more than anything.

Agreed, and thank you for having decent taste and liking Blackguards 1 and Aarklash legacy.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Since people are talking about Grimrock, is 7DS supposed to be first-person or isometric like the Gold Box games?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Since people are talking about Grimrock, is 7DS supposed to be first-person or isometric like the Gold Box games?

No, I hoped it might be but it is similar to isometric style like Pools of Radiance etc. They don't immerse me as much as first person but it is great for tactical combat. It looks decent but I hope they can do whatever is needed to lift it above the various similar games and somehow get it talked about by people. Legend of Grimrock seemed to get a lot of early hype and discussions going because it got old timers talking about Dungeon Master and stuff on various mainstream forums and websites. Hoping something similar will happen to this.

Here is their video from the kickstarter pitch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmS3WC1lfFA

Blackguards succeeded, it was Blackguards II that flopped.

EDIT:

Although flopped is a strong word, it has had 'okay' lifetime sales.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom