Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I asked what the rest of the Motvations are ... now we have the full lists of all basic character descriptors:
Code:
Race        Class          Specialty   Motivation

Drakyri     Archer         Dabbler     Acclaim
Dwarf       Knight         Deadly      Compassion
Feydri      Legionnaire    Defensive   Dominance
Half-Shade  Pitfighter     Earth       Fealty
High Elf    Scout          Fast        Freedom
Imperial    Soultender     Fire        Greed
Kralik      Wizard         Nature      Honor
Shade Elf   Wraith Hunter  Necromancy  Purity
                           Noble       Sanctity
                           Priestly    Seeker
                           Rogue       Self Preservation
                           Storm       Serenity
                           Tactical    Thrill of Battle
                           Tough
                           Winter

Be like me! Start planning your party composition now!

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
A german wraith hunter with necromancy and priest abilities and sanctity as motivation. So I can finally roleplay Kantz from Wielstadt.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another reply on the subject of Motivations.
David Shelley aka 'Design1' said:
Goal options are determined by Race/Class/Specialty choices, so not every character has every goal available. Otherwise, players are free to select any combination of Race/Class/Specialty, and choose from around six of the Goals.
So unlike R/C/S, Motivations cannot be mixed and matched freely. We can only guess at this point which Motivations will be allowable for a given character type.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
TSI (probably David Shelley) on the current landscape of RPGs: https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames/p...41828.633782083386232/952356624862108/?type=3

It is nice to see some AAA games show up in the RPG space, but the hardcore smaller scale RPGs are more uneven this year. N-Space is closing after getting slammed for Sword Coast Legends, and it looks like Beamdog will struggle with their new Baldur’s Gate DLC. Obsidian is going strong, and we may see Tyranny this year. It will be interesting to see what Torment is going to be like after it emerges from beta. I must say that I am casting about for the next cool time sink.

Well, I finished up my AAA game fix recently, completing Fallout 4 and XCOM 2, and enjoyed them. My standard Bethesda game build of stealthy sniper had a wonderful time splattering heads, and making the world safe for synths. One can argue New Vegas was better, but this version was far superior to Fallout 3.

XCOM 2 continued and improved this rebooted series. I still have a very strong attachment to the original XCOM, which was the first game to get me nervous and scared (though the original series’ sequel was not good). I’m tempted to dig into the mod tools and see what mayhem I can create. Excellent balance of strategy and tactics. Plus, I could make my favorite sniper look like a heroic version of my wife.

Sad to see N-Space closing its doors. While Sword Coast Legends wasn’t well received, it held a fair amount of potential. If they’d had a chance to listen to their audience, a follow on game could have been fantastic.

Obsidian, along with Paradox, has announced Tyranny, which has a number of interesting concepts. Like Seven Dragon Saga, it will start characters as established mid-level powered. The theme that evil won, and you are one of the bad guys is interesting, but that always ends up challenging for character motivation. Can the player be truly evil, or will they have to play the character as a good person overturning the system?

Beamdog is struggling with its Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspire release. They were proud of their new interface when we dropped by to look at it at GDC, but a lot of long time Baldur’s Gate players are complaining. It may have made sense for them to have added an option to revert for those wedded to the old scheme. It’s going to be interesting to see how they emerge from this challenge.

Torment is coming, but I’m curious what else people will be playing over the next few months. Obviously there is a lot in the news about VR, the rise of eSports, and online titles like Paragon and Battleborn. However, there seems to still be a place for hardcore RPGs, and strategy. Do people seek out games which advertise themselves as very hard, or do they like the option to make combats easy and experience the world and story without distraction?

A glaring lack of Larian, huh.

Zombra

Patron
The first thing I thought when Tyranny was announced. "Oh, so the PCs are mid-level officers working for an authoritarian empire, huh? Where have I heard that before?" Of course Obsidian is much better known than TSI, so Tyranny will be a bigger seller, and everyone is going to end up thinking that TSI ripped off Obsidian's ideas instead of the other way around.

Also, who is that Codex fuck who immediately replied on that Facebook post?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A glaring lack of Larian, huh.

I chalk it up to American company bias.

Well, someone asked about it.

Nicholas Hanson I don't know when it's coming out but if you like XCOM then Julian Gollop has Phoenix Point in the works. Also Larian Studios has Divinity - Original Sin 2 in the works and if you haven't tried the Enhanced Edition of the first one that's a must play RPG IMHO.

TSI - Tactical Simulations Interactive Played the original Original Sin 2, but haven't gone back for the Enhanced Edition, perhaps I will. I've been watching Phoenix Point, mostly seeing the monster pics, but look forward to seeing more playable elements.

Also:

Sigmund Kopperud Why are you just mentioning a couple of cRPG titles? And why are you calling "Fo4" an RPG?

TSI - Tactical Simulations Interactive Just commenting on recent and upcoming notables, especially if they've gotten some buzz. Hard to be exhaustive without filling multiple pages. Fallout 4 has a character which you advance through experience and story, so it qualifies as an RPG. Definitely more sandbox, and sci-fi, but that is Bethesda's thing.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The first thing I thought when Tyranny was announced. "Oh, so the PCs are mid-level officers working for an authoritarian empire, huh? Where have I heard that before?" Of course Obsidian is much better known than TSI, so Tyranny will be a bigger seller, and everyone is going to end up thinking that TSI ripped off Obsidian's ideas instead of the other way around.
Didn't Spiderweb Software do it first with Avadon?

Art Vandelay

Prophet
More importantly, when you're asking people for their money, you have to actually make what they want, not what you want.

Not that it's clear there is some high demand for Goldbox style games. If anything it's clear the audience found Baldur's Gate style better.

This is simply not true...It was more like "it's not turn based?? oh well,at least it's D&D"

EDIT:

Or you mean a Beamdog fiasco hahahahahahahahahahaahaha

Zombra

Patron
The first thing I thought when Tyranny was announced. "Oh, so the PCs are mid-level officers working for an authoritarian empire, huh? Where have I heard that before?
Didn't Spiderweb Software do it first with Avadon?
Maybe, but that was what? 5 years ago? and Spiderweb isn't so high profile that I'm sure either team heard of it. Maybe TSI was influenced by it, I don't know. I'm not saying that 7DS was the first story ever where the protagonist worked for the bad guys - of course, neither was Avadon.

On the other hand, pre on Stormlands apparently started in early 2014, completely under wraps until last November, and it apparently floundered a lot conceptually before it found its current direction. Meanwhile, 7DS was announced in mid-2014, with a basic shmear that sounded nearly identical to what Tyranny finally announced a year later. I'm not making accusations, but that timeline is suspicious.

Anyway, the main point is that I can easily see Tyranny coming out first and to bigger fanfare, and then 7DS coming out later and smaller and people thinking it's a ripoff. Uncool.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Fallout 4 has a character which you advance through experience and story

What a cop out. Madden '16 has the same damn thing in its career mode:

Upgrade stats to suit your play style
Which skills you choose to upgrade will depend on the type of quarterback you chose to play as. Of course the first stats you should look to spend XP within are throwing accuracy (of those, long throw should be of lowest priority), awareness, play action (depending on your team's playbook) and throw power should also get some upgrades early. But from there, it'll depend on your QB style.

Mobile QBs will want to look at carrying, speed and elusiveness, while pocket passers should improve their throwing most of the time.

Again, take a look at the stats of similar-styled QBs in the game to see where they're best, and which skills are of low-priority to help guide your spend.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From the newsletter:

Announcing Lee Dotson, our new Art Director

Gqt5eqx.png

:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not so surprising, he was probably only there for a few a months to give them an art direction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom