Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, he?

V_K

Arcane
I like this pic better (note the nipple ring):
lee_1.jpg
What a waste of a perfect jawline...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames/p...=989458017818635&comment_tracking={"tn":"R7"}

Brandon Harbaugh Hey there, i just wanted to clarify, can we still expect Seven Dragon Saga on the way?? it looks like a fantastic game in the making! but i read something about the kickstarter failing :/ ?

TSI - Tactical Simulations Interactive We failed a KS early on in development, but have chosen to press on while we evaluate other funding sources. We have revamped the art, taken other steps in response to the feedback we received. The KS would have allowed us to move much more quickly, but we still push forward.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mailing list update.

Progress on Seven Dragon Saga striking a balance between story, action, and exploration in June's update.

029e0bfb-d072-4373-ab42-8752180159cf.jpg
Torment and a sea of words

We continue to move ahead on Seven Dragon Saga, working on different aspects of skill use in the wilderness and tactical maps. Doing a review of the magic system, and laying out enchantments to compliment.

I’ve been playing a bit of the Torment: Tides of Numenera beta, a game boasting a million plus words, and since they have had a lot of experienced writers involved, we can expect quality words. At more than twice the length of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, that is an impressive volume. I’m not far in, but I can already say that Torment will not be providing the same experience as a good novel, no matter how much I end up enjoying the game. Games are different animals, and use words in different ways.

Torment provides the player a character with a specific background, along with the a variant of temporary amnesia, plus a number of companions, many of whom knew a facet of the character from before the start of the game. The gimmicks provide the companions with plenty of specific things to say right from the start. The companions have internal moral rules, allowing them to react to the protagonist, based on player choice. They will undoubtedly leave, if the player offends them too much. I suspect there will be romantic options, though it is hard to say in the early portion of the game.

The game is rich in objects simply laying around, with rich descriptions and interaction options. And it appears the player will spend time inside the mind of the protagonist, possibly in cases of death, or similar events. Add in important NPCs and quests, and one can begin to see how Torment is likely to distribute its text. The experience appears to be one of exploration, of the world, and of the protagonist. Exploration is important in 7DS as well, but more oriented around the wilderness, and hidden tactical areas.

Seven Dragon Saga will not have as extensive a word count, as we allow the player to create their entire party, and use our Goals system to create backgrounds and personalities for all the members. The party should have a bit of chatter, and bring color to the individuals, but we have no plans for any player characters to leave the party in disgust, or profess love to another. Since 7DS has a focus on manipulating factions, much of our text is reserved for key NPCs, who have to react to the different choices the player makes. Each game seeks its own balance of story, action, exploration and advancement, and the industry is stronger for it.

David Shelley - Lead Designer

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can already say that Torment will not be providing the same experience as a good novel, no matter how much I end up enjoying the game. Games are different animals, and use words in different ways.

This is an important realization and I had the same when I recently played halfway through Planescape Torment with high hopes for it blowing my mind (hint: it didn't, really).

we allow the player to create their entire party, and use our Goals system to create backgrounds and personalities for all the members. The party should have a bit of chatter, and bring color to the individuals

I hope these guys take hints from Wiz8 and JA2 on how to do this right.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
we allow the player to create their entire party, and use our Goals system to create backgrounds and personalities for all the members. The party should have a bit of chatter, and bring color to the individuals
I hope these guys take hints from Wiz8 and JA2 on how to do this right.
You are smart. I posted on their forums to make sure they hear this sentiment, along with my own detailed thoughts.

I'm like the only person who posts there.

Weasel
I posted on their forums to make sure they hear this sentiment, along with my own detailed thoughts.

I'm like the only person who posts there.

Which gives you an inordinate amount of influence :salute:

Keep harassing them until you receive the honour of being immortalised in the game:

Uay1iuc.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames/p...=994763433954760&comment_tracking={"tn":"R2"}

Nicholas Hanson It makes sense that characters you, as the player, create don't leave the party however can you not also get NPCs to accompany you? If so is it not possible to act in such a way so as to cause that NPC to leave in disgust? Player Characters should absolutely be in the compelete control of the player but I would think NPCs would react to the decisions of the player which could cause them vary from love to hate and anywhere in between.

TSI - Tactical Simulations Interactive NPCs will be able to enter and leave the party, based on personal moral choices, or for story reasons. But much of the game will revolve around the six created player characters, and we don't wish to force too much onto them.

Dorateen

Arcane
Let Non-Player Characters be Non-Player Characters, and let Player Characters be Player Characters. The classic formula of the Gold Box Games was 6 + 2, with the "plus two" representing additional characters who joined and were independent of the party. Another cRPG that follows this structure: Wizardry 8.

The concept of manipulating factions also evokes Wizardry 7/8.

Good design influence!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames/photos/a.638241359606971.1073741828.633782083386232/952356624862108/?type=3&comment_id=989458017818635&comment_tracking={"tn":"R7"}

Brandon Harbaugh Hey there, i just wanted to clarify, can we still expect Seven Dragon Saga on the way?? it looks like a fantastic game in the making! but i read something about the kickstarter failing :/ ?

TSI - Tactical Simulations Interactive We failed a KS early on in development, but have chosen to press on while we evaluate other funding sources. We have revamped the art, taken other steps in response to the feedback we received. The KS would have allowed us to move much more quickly, but we still push forward.

Should take a page from Vince's book. Early release a playable 4-8 hours and then build from there.

I suspect there will be romantic options, though it is hard to say in the early portion of the game.

The party should have a bit of chatter, and bring color to the individuals, but we have no plans for any player characters to leave the party in disgust, or profess love to another.

inXile said they won't have romances as a feature, although there's no telling whether they have wavered on that point after the extended period of development.

To be honest, treating plot and content elements as a "feature" that is or is not included kind of bothers me. It's like saying the protagonist's death at the end of Dark Souls is a feature, or
that Geralt's retirement is a feature.

Last edited:

Mustawd

https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames/photos/a.638241359606971.1073741828.633782083386232/952356624862108/?type=3&comment_id=989458017818635&comment_tracking={"tn":"R7"}

Should take a page from Vince's book. Early release a playable 4-8 hours and then build from there.

I suspect there will be romantic options, though it is hard to say in the early portion of the game.

The party should have a bit of chatter, and bring color to the individuals, but we have no plans for any player characters to leave the party in disgust, or profess love to another.

inXile said they won't have romances as a feature, although there's no telling whether they have wavered on that point after the extended period of development.

To be honest, treating plot and content elements as a "feature" that is or is not included kind of bothers me. It's like saying the protagonist's death at the end of Dark Souls is a feature, or Geralt's retirement is a feature.

Fucking spoiler's on your last sentence man!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

To be honest, treating plot and content elements as a "feature" that is or is not included kind of bothers me. It's like saying the protagonist's death at the end of Dark Souls is a feature, or Geralt's retirement is a feature.

Fucking spoiler's on your last sentence man!

I suppose, but that aspect of Witcher 3 wasn't exactly kept secret, CDProjeckt and journalists mentioned it constantly and unrelentingly for months.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I'm calling it now that this will be the next instant classic released, unless Red Hand of Doom is released first. It is a shame people are too fucking stupid to fund this or the Guido Henkelgould game. People may talk about the rpg renaissance, but they fail to add an asterisk stating people are still fucking idiots with shitty taste and a penchant to let other's do their thinking for them on the hipster-wagon of monkeys retards.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
What else would they be working on? They failed a KS but its obviously a passion project. The whole company was founded and money raised on producing this game. Even after the failed KS they were commited to getting it out. They went silent several times already and we thought they were done, then they put an update out. Its a small crew, I assume they take the time they need (obviously as long as they can afford it) to get their baby just right. :salute:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'm calling it now that this will be the next instant classic released, unless Red Hand of Doom is released first. It is a shame people are too fucking stupid to fund this or the Guido Henkelgould game. People may talk about the rpg renaissance, but they fail to add an asterisk stating people are still fucking idiots with shitty taste and a penchant to let other's do their thinking for them on the hipster-wagon of monkeys retards.

How can you see your way clear to naming this an instant classic when the gold box games were very much in the vein of 'contentless dungeon crawls' that you think are shit?

covr

Prophet
Patron
I am watching this thread, don't dissapoint me 7DS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom