Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seven: The Days Long Gone - Thief-inspired isometric action-RPG from former CD Projekt devs

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This War of Mine looked fantastic and played even better. Much, much better. And Frostpunk is shaping up just as gloriously.

So wtf?

Those aren't action games. It seems as though Poles can't screw those up, with the massive popularity of Gwent serving as an additional example.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
So this any good?
PC Gamer has said it best:
"It’s like a missing link between immersive sims like Deus Ex and RPGs like Ultima 7 or Divinity: Original Sin 2—weird and liberating and driven by players' whims. There’s nothing else quite like it, but it still feels a little familiar, drawing as it does so many classic stealth and RPG romps." 81/100

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Now that this is out and I'm taking a closer look at it, it actually looks pretty good. Definitely has me intrigued. Really tempted to give it a go.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So this any good?
PC Gamer has said it best:
"It’s like a missing link between immersive sims like Deus Ex and RPGs like Ultima 7 or Divinity: Original Sin 2—weird and liberating and driven by players' whims. There’s nothing else quite like it, but it still feels a little familiar, drawing as it does so many classic stealth and RPG romps."
That is actually a surprisingly informed statement for a mainstream journalist.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If this game's in GRPGD the standards of what makes an RPG have dropped to an unprecedented new low around here

It's marketed as an RPG but as far as I can tell, it has as much role playing as Dishonored. Perhaps I'm mistaken and it has as much reactivity as The Witcher.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have played the "demo" version a bit and it is enjoyable so far. I have not got far, just did the prologue part and entrance to main part of the game. But prologue has you infiltrate a well guarded compound and the stealth parts were fun. Only problem I found is that when you choke the guards they wake up very fast (like within 10s). So you need to stealth kill them with your weapon instead and I have not seen any penalty for doing that.

Also some of the features of the game are very old school. You get no seeing through walls (like in later Hitman games), you cannot see enemy vision cones (but they do have them) and there is no press X button to win markers. Press button to win still exists but you need to find the right position behind the guard while sneaking and press the attack button, game does not show it to you.
Also stealth is not automatic hide anywhere, you need to be careful. Even if you are higher than guards, they can still see you if they are close enough and watching in your direction.

As for if it is RPG or not, it is at least RPG lite. And if games like Fallout 4 or Dark Souls are RPG then so is this game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well regardless of what genre it is I watched 1~2 hours of stream and I really didn't like it, there's a LOT, a LOT of filler unavoidable combat later on, stealth seems to be far from the optimal solution way too many times (wait 5 mins analyzing routes and spotlight patterns vs steamroll through it in 30 seconds mashing X) so in the end you're only trying to play stealthy if you're LARPing sorta. Not 10 seconds go by without something on the forefront flickering in and out like crazy which makes the game unpleasant to look at and confusing many times. Rotatable camera was a mistake.

I'm seeing some people desperately trying to find redeeming points to it just to contradict IGN's 4.0 score which is ridiculous, like we can't live in a world where both IGN and the game are garbage.
I kind of doubt that but I will get there and see it myself. I watched someone stream the prologue before I played it and they basically killed half the guards to finish it. I only killed 1 from stealth. How you play depends on you as a player.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's pretty enjoyable, but the controls are pretty shitty and the way environments fade in and out near-randomly is annoying - I can't tell how many times I've jumped into a ceiling or tried to move up towards something just to see that there's actually a wall there, or debris, etc.

Also, how are Skill Chips supposed to work? I've opened tons of those red containers, and it says my inventory has updated, but so far, I've only got the standard Scanvenger chip and the Flash special ability. It's weird as fuck none of this was covered in a tutorial, you're just sorta supposed to figure out how this works and how it ties together with Nectar? At first I thought that alright, cool, I guess I'll craft those skill chips later or something(?) after opening a couple of those red boxes, but after getting access to the crafting tables, nope, nothing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's pretty enjoyable, but the controls are pretty shitty and the way environments fade in and out near-randomly is annoying - I can't tell how many times I've jumped into a ceiling or tried to move up towards something just to see that there's actually a wall there, or debris, etc.

Also, how are Skill Chips supposed to work? I've opened tons of those red containers, and it says my inventory has updated, but so far, I've only got the standard Scanvenger chip and the Flash special ability. It's weird as fuck none of this was covered in a tutorial, you're just sorta supposed to figure out how this works and how it ties together with Nectar? At first I thought that alright, cool, I guess I'll craft those skill chips later or something(?) after opening a couple of those red boxes, but after getting access to the crafting tables, nope, nothing.
There is an extensive written ingame tutorial that has all the info.

Cross

Arcane
Why would you say your game is inspired by Thief of all things when it's nothing like Thief, and in many ways has the polar opposite design philosophy? Especially when you could have picked a far more popular stealth franchise to name drop, such as Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell or Hitman.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

There is an extensive written ingame tutorial that has all the info.
Yeah, that's not helpful.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Also, how are Skill Chips supposed to work?
Dw about it until you've completed a chunk of the intro (you'll hijack a tram cart to your safe-house).

Why would you say your game is inspired by Thief of all things when it's nothing like Thief, and in many ways has the polar opposite design philosophy?
Both are action/stealth - when subterfuge is concerned, offer multiple solutions to solve a problem - hostile resolution is last resort at times. Seven is obviously not a.t.b presented in this way though as it's a hybrid .

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Also, how are Skill Chips supposed to work?
Dw about it until you've completed a chunk of the intro (you'll hijack a tram cart to your safe-house).
Alright, thanks man, I'm actually about to do the tram hijack quest right now. It's just a bit infuriating that they don't explain it anywhere and I guess just assumes you'll do that side-quest?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It's just a bit infuriating that they don't explain it anywhere and I guess just assumes you'll do that side-quest?
That's MQ (most involving the cyber ghost are I think). Yeah it is to start with, but it comes together, just gotta read a bit of the lore to figure out how it all works. I like their presentation in that regard.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's just a bit infuriating that they don't explain it anywhere and I guess just assumes you'll do that side-quest?
That's MQ (most involving the cyber ghost are I think). Yeah it is to start with, but it comes together, just gotta read a bit of the lore to figure out how it all works. I like their presentation in that regard.
Maybe, but it's still shitty to constantly allude to stuff that hasn't been introduced yet, as if it's supposed to be there. I was seriously starting to believe that my game was bugged or something, because the game keeps giving you stuff that is supposed to be related to the skills, and that is supposed to be updating my inventory, etc., etc.

That's horrible design. Even a hint of "I have no idea what this is" would've been helpful, essentially informing the player that this isn't relevant yet. Instead, you get informed about skills and skill chips and passives and actives and abilities and loading screen tips about how to use them and how you can customize yourself and how very relevant all of this is, and when you open the containers you get told your inventory has updated even when it hasn't, and you get a popup about something that can't actually be checked anywhere at all.

Makes me wonder if they actually played through the game at all, or if it's all theoretical to them.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This game is hilariously bugged. Whenever I load, all NPC:s immediately start running back towards what I assume to be are their default positions, before they start to engage in their random behaviour. This can be both abused (an enemy is coming towards you? save and reload, and he'll walk away!) and be extremely frustrating (you're sitting in a safe spot, and you saved? Surprise! Whenever you load, the NPC you were shadowing will immediately turn around and look at you.)

Also, some disguises flat-out don't even work at all, and the second the enemy sees you, they aggro you - it's actually worse than if you wore no disguise at all, because at least when they're set to hostile (such as you being in a forbidden area), they have a red circle around their feet.

But if you wear a loldisguise, they display as neutral until they see you, at which point they lose their shit and attack you en masse.

Along with the terrible controls, the non-existent feedback, the horrible mechanical/exposition discrepancies, the frankly bad combat (hey, let's just make massive jumps forward as part of attack and get stuck into shit for no reason), and the massive load times (frequently needed because of the aforementioned shitfest) it's all comes together as a pretty shit game. It was fresh for a little while, and it actually felt like it tried to do something new, but it's half-baked, unfinished, unpolished.

5/10, firmly average.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game is hilariously bugged. Whenever I load, all NPC:s immediately start running back towards what I assume to be are their default positions, before they start to engage in their random behaviour. This can be both abused (an enemy is coming towards you? save and reload, and he'll walk away!) and be extremely frustrating (you're sitting in a safe spot, and you saved? Surprise! Whenever you load, the NPC you were shadowing will immediately turn around and look at you.)

Also, some disguises flat-out don't even work at all, and the second the enemy sees you, they aggro you - it's actually worse than if you wore no disguise at all, because at least when they're set to hostile (such as you being in a forbidden area), they have a red circle around their feet.

But if you wear a loldisguise, they display as neutral until they see you, at which point they lose their shit and attack you en masse.

Along with the terrible controls, the non-existent feedback, the horrible mechanical/exposition discrepancies, the frankly bad combat (hey, let's just make massive jumps forward as part of attack and get stuck into shit for no reason), and the massive load times (frequently needed because of the aforementioned shitfest) it's all comes together as a pretty shit game. It was fresh for a little while, and it actually felt like it tried to do something new, but it's half-baked, unfinished, unpolished.

5/10, firmly average.
Bugs sound bad.
Use a controller, it works better. Don't use secondary attack if you don't want big jumps forward. It loads fast on my SSD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom