Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shades of Sanity - Sanitarium Spiritual Successor

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rob Seres and Keith Leonard from Dreamforge launched a kickstarter for a new adventure game. Their pitch seems pretty good to me. They have a really fancy engine and a few nice pieces of concept art.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409430337/shades-of-sanity-psychological-horror-game

Funding is going slowly though, 2 days in and only at ~3k dollars.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
3d first person, not isometric pre-rendered like the old game?

:killit:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Guys worked on programming Sanitarium. Which has nothing to do with what was good about it: the atmosphere. Not interested.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
@Surf Solar, I asked them about the view point switch.

Regarding the isometric versus FP view, the game will have elements that will tie strongly to where the player is currently looking, and more importantly, where they're not looking. FB views make movement a bit easier, and it's what people are used to. Sanitarium had a lot of complaints about its movement interface, and isometric views lead to constraints on environment, such as having high enough ceilings to accommodate the camera distance, or no ceilings in some cases.

-Rob

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thanks @tuluse but that sounds like a pretty shitty excuse to me. "People are used to it so we are doing that lol" :/

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Sounds bad.

I hated Myst and only liked the art direction of Sanitarium.

Think of games like “Amnesia: The Dark Descent” or ‘Eternal Darkness,” but with more puzzle solving and less creature attacks.
Nope.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thanks @tuluse but that sounds like a pretty shitty excuse to me. "People are used to it so we are doing that lol" :/

Not that I give a fuck about this game, but that wasn't their "excuse." Their excuse was game mechanics tied to player facing. Which is all the rage in games these days. And it seems to be kind of effective for dynamic horror games. The second part of the "excuse" was that people, even fans, complained about Sanitariums controls and camera. Those would also be legitimate.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why everybody is trying to make Amnesia clones? I'm seeing nothing of Sanitarium in this pitch video.

tuluse

Arcane
Guys worked on programming Sanitarium. Which has nothing to do with what was good about it: the atmosphere. Not interested.
I'm not sure that's strictly true. Anyways, they have some gameplay in their pitch video, you should at least give it a watch.

Why everybody is trying to make Amnesia clones? I'm seeing nothing of Sanitarium in this pitch video.
Probably because of cash monies it made. I have no problem with more people trying to make Amnesia-likes. It was a good game, with lots of easily improvable mechanics.

tuluse

Arcane
First real update today. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...sanity-psychological-horror-game/posts/571728

We've been getting a few questions about the story of the game, so we decided to post an update. Here is some of the new text that's on the kickstarter page:
How does this game play?

Think of games like “Amnesia: The Dark Descent” or ‘Eternal Darkness,” but with more puzzle solving and less creature attacks. Imagine if you can also set the difficulty level of each. There is an inventory system for using items against other objects in the world, and there are also puzzles that require interacting with the world, similar to Myst but written by a mental patient.
What's the story?

Symphony Hall was crowded, all eyes fixated on him as he sat down to play his new composition. Joe started to hear buzzing in his ears, but that always happened when he was nervous.

This occasion was different. As he played, the piano keys became teeth. He closed his eyes and tried to ignore it, using his muscle memory to hit the right keys. However, the tones rang dissonant. Then each key played screamed in pain.

He stood up, and quickly tried to apologize to the confused audience, but he spoke nothing but gibberish. He saw all those hollow faces, all of them dressed up in their typical suits. As he turned away he felt their scornful eyes. Everyone grew quiet as he walked off stage. Some looked at him like he was an animal, ready to attack at any moment.

A year goes by and his therapy was stalling. His drugs only made problems worse. He decided it was time to go back to the one thing that always supported him: his wife Kim. He packed a single bag, left the Symphony behind, and gambled it all on the hope he could patch things up.

On route to Kim's house, his new doctor, Dr. Reynolds, called him. Today was supposed to be his next session, and he had skipped it. Joe explained his plan, and Dr. Reynolds seemed cautiously sympathetic. But something in his voice told him that Reynolds thought that Joe was about to break into a random house, and possibly hurt someone.

And Joe wondered if the Doctor was right.

You are Joseph Springer, a schizophrenic patient who skips out on his therapy sessions and drives down to Virginia to repair his estranged relationship with his wife. As Joseph nears the house he blacks out and wakes up in a strange environment filled with conflicting clues and disturbing visions. With only limited meds to cope Joe explores the house, learning that each previous resident is somehow connected to him, and each has met a horrible fate. Eventually his meds run out and you are left with primitive methods to cope with the strange and surreal visions, hoping that if you close your eyes or look away they'll disappear.
How is Schizophrenia portrayed in the game?

Joe has both auditory and visual hallucinations. Some can be obviously dismissed through cognitive reasoning. But innocent scenes could also be feeding a deeper delusion, and these will keep the player guessing. Is this really my house? If this is Kim’s stuff, where is she? Who are these other people I keep seeing?

And why does everyone react as if I’m going to hurt them?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Thread title misleading as all fuck

After Sanitarium, we both worked on titles that never shipped, including a Werewolf game for WhiteWolf
NKL4Gn.jpg

Oh well, was it the unreal engine or the saturn game? it would probably have been shit either way.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Thread title misleading as all fuck
I basically just copied the kickstarter title.

It's a puzzle solving adventure game where you play a crazy person. I don't think the view point change invalidates spiritual succession.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It certainly does considering the viewpoint is one of the main things that makes Sanitarium stand out

Looks like your average case of kickstarter wave-riding.

AngryKobold

Arcane
There's a something giving me a sudden urge to vomit. It's a marketing trash talk about being a "spiritual successor" to hight rated classic. Half- assed concept arts they present make it only worse. Anyone got a ginger?

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I don't understand why these people propose things that are very similar to what's already on the market.

If we wanted what's on the market, we'd just buy that instead. It doesn't make any sense.

tuluse

Arcane
15 days left and they are at 11k, so this project is as good as dead.

DeepOcean

Arcane
15 days left and they are at 11k, so this project is as good as dead.
Not surprising, you kickstarter a spiritual sequel to Sanitarium then make a pitch video showing a game that looks a hell alot like a spiritual sequel to Amnesia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom