Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Commandos-Like Shadow Tactics - Blades of Shogun Commandos clone with ninjutsu theme.

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Taka-Haradin puolipeikko, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Imo it's a good thing because KO + tie up makes non-lethal gameplay way too easy, not to mention that it's near-identical to just killing them all anyway. Still, there are ways to get around this:

- You can put KO'd civilians inside buildings, and they won't come out again.
    - You can throw KO'd guards around into unreachable places to make sure they never bother you again. Either toss them on rooftops with Mugen or drop them down ledges onto secluded platforms with the others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Personally, I think a nonlethal playthrough in a game about ninjas is a silly idea anyway, on par with "I'll only use my left hand and never speak the letter E". Fine if you want to do that, but not something to expect design support for.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. zool Savant

zool
    Parrots:
    Actually I was mostly thinking about civilians as, even though the game doesn't penalize you for killing them, I decided to slightly increase the difficulty level through a self-imposed rule of not killing civilians (like in Desperados IIRC). True, you can dispose of knocked-down enemies/civilians using ledges and interiors but that's not always an option.

As for non-letal playthoughs, I agree with you Zombra though there are one or two missions in the game (like the penultimate one) where non-lethal would make sense. Desperados had a few of those, they made sense and forced you to slightly change your usual way of doing things, which was great IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah. I definitely enjoy little "rules" like leaving people alone when it doesn't make sense to hurt them. But I always try to remember that in historical fiction of the period, life is cheap as dirt. Doesn't really feel right to be moralistic about it. Like in an action movie where a bad guy is shooting at a cop, so the cop shoots at the awning above him so it falls down and knocks him out harmlessly ... I guess there's a place for those kind of stories, but they feel dumb to me.

As an aside, I think there's only one Desperados mission that forces nonlethality (and I do love the way that game keeps changing the rules), but my favorite way to play is to never kill "good guys" or guys who are just doing their job. Never kill the military, the sheriff, the militia, etc. But bandits and murderers deserve whatever they get.

^ Top  
  5. zool Savant

zool
    Parrots:
    I played exactly this way too when I did my last playthrough.

In addition to the marshall's hacienda mission, wasn't the mission to free Sanchez from his military jail non-lethal too? I thought so but I may be remembering wrong, I haven't played the game in quite some time now and I may be mixing it up with my own house rules..

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Nope, the Desperados jailbreak can be a slaughter if you want; the game won't stop you. (Possibly because it's really difficult to crack that mission without killing anybody!) But yeah, like you I never play it that way - it just doesn't look right for Cooper to cold-bloodedly knife dozens of guards. Not that kind of story.

but we're getting off topic here

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    In my experience trying to do every mission on pacifist mode is possible, but it requires borderline exploiting the game.

For instance, a hint for the above: knock out some random guard, grab him with Mugen, lure all the guards into one space with Yuki, throw the KO'd guard at the gathered suckers to KO all of them.

This is also why this game is so gud. There are really super many options for you to make use of.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    The game certainly isn't built for it. Kinda like playing, oh, Bloodlines without feeding or using Disciplines for an "I'm not really a vampire" LARPer playthrough.

But hey, I'm the last guy who's gonna throw stones at a fellow LARPer. Good luck.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:

• Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Parrots:
    I saw this had come to consoles and momentarily thought that maybe they had implemented co-op which could be fun but the box I looked at said single player only so I guess I'll stick with the PC master race.

Looking forward to their next game after this beauty.

^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Nope.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Cyberarmy Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Little happy accidents.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    So it turned out to be a part of Humble Monthly. I wonder how sharing the profits works for developers in such a case.

^ Top  
  16. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    This turned out to be one of my favorite games this year. If you don't have it, Grab it !

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    Waiting for the gog Christmas sale

^ Top  
  19. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Postmortem of Shadow Tactics: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...mimis_Shadow_Tactics_Blades_of_the_Shogun.php

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Amazing game by amazing devs. Everyone - even those who tried Commandos or Desperados in the past and didn't care for them - should try this game. You might find yourself appreciating a genre you never thought you would, while also discovering a fun, beautiful game made with true passion and polish.

I know I'll be supporting whatever these guys put out in the future as long as it is approached with the same quality and care put into ST. I hope their studio has a long and fruitful life.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. MediantSamuel Erudite Patron

MediantSamuel
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Shadow Tactics is love & life. :love:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What Went Wrong #5 is sad and frustrating.

MRY Vault Dweller

• Despair Despair x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I am by no means an expert on game sales but have a hard time believing that its really so hard to reach your target audience with the amount of coverage ST got.

Like, I check Steam and GoG every other day, and when a game shows up in the new releases that I have never heard of and seems interesting, I'm gonna check it out.

And how many lets players are there that you could possibly check out? It is not that much of a bubble. I was well aware of the release of Shadow Tactics even though I am not all that much interested in the subgenre. I know thats anecdotal but it would seem to me that pretty much everyone was playing and reviewing it at the time. So if you are only slightly interested in indiegames or hardcore games or whatever, you should've at least heard of the release.
    I doubt that a mysterious target audience of possibly interested players that simply weren't reached really exists to a significant extent.
    If you are somewhat of an enthusiast for - lets call it 'thinking mans games' - it would seem to me that there is actually a limited number of relevant sources, and even these sources are often interlinked in some kind of "enthusiast space" (word of mouth), e.g. all indie lets players playing certain games on release.

He is right that ST got a huge amount of coverage. So what are these 'obscure lets play channels' that theoretically could've reached a larger target audience?

Besides, the game has some pretty steep pricing..

^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The thing about this game is that it's (I think) literally the only game of its type today, so coming across somebody who was say a huge Commandos fan N years ago and hearing that he's never even heard of it must be very frustrating for the developers. It's like, you don't have any other choices dude, it's just this. That's an oversimplified view of the situation of course, but it feels different than an indie isometric RPG not reaching its full audience as there a good number of those available now.

^ Top  
  25. zool Savant

zool
    Parrots:
    Do it

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)