Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadowgate remake - NOW AVAILABLE!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Folks,

Shadow Friday is October 26th! I am really excited to announce that this Friday we are launching a Shadowgate Kickstarter campaign! We have been working on this for many weeks and can't wait to launch it. We will go live at 9am EST this Friday and we hope you will get behind us and support our campaign. We know you will be blown away by what we show of the new game as well as the ridiculously cool rewards we have designed exclusively for Shadowgate and fantasy fans.

As you may know, we have been in pre-production for a few months now and have made great strides on the game design, artwork and audio but WE NEED YOUR HELP to complete our vision for a re-imagined Shadowgate.

We wanted to tell you about it first so you to take advantage of the early bird specials we've included in the campaign. We wanted you to be the first to know so you can get the jump on the rest of the world and grab up those special deals. We are offering three limited pledging tiers which include a digital game tier, a physical box/cloth map/poster tier and a Shadowgate card game tier - a card game designed by the creator of the Middle Earth Collectible Card game.

We are very thankful for your support over this last year and hope you join us this Friday! For your convenience we'll send out an email with the URL on Friday morning or you can simply type 'Shadowgate' in the search engine on the Kickstarter site after it goes live at 9am EST.

Again, thanks for believing in Zojoi and the games we want to create!

Dave Marsh

I know at least a few people will get excited by this :)

JrK

Prophet
It looks like a remake with new stuff added to me. That's what they are implying on their website. Anyway, the screenshots look kind of awesome, but since this is a point n click adventure I originally played on the NES, it will be boring most likely since I know all the solutions.

Modron

Arcane
Also gonna be for iOS and Android devices. :decline:

Bah, whats the point of this these people could just emulate the gameboy color remake or the original nes version can't be that much of a market for this game. Hopefully, they have a reasonable price/goal.

JrK

Prophet
http://www.zojoi.com/shadowgate.htm

My source.

Zojoi, and the creators of Shadowgate, are proud to announce the pre-production of Shadowgate! While we love all of the versions of the game (especially the NES version!), this new game is not simply a port. We are updating Shadowgate with lots of new puzzles! New rooms have also been added - as well as familiar locations, many that we are redesigning to provide a new play experience while retaining the essence and fun of the original. We plan to develop the game for PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices, hoping to bring back the first-person adventure game genre!

It does seem like they will make the game attractive by changing the old puzzles.

belated

Augur
More than twice what they asked for the Sherlock game (which is actually out on Desura now) and we all know how that went.

OtakuMan30

Novice
Not sure how long it will take for me to get full approval here, but I'm sort of a community manager with Zojoi, and figure I can answer some questions and expand on a few things too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Not sure how long it will take for me to get full approval here, but I'm sort of a community manager with Zojoi, and figure I can answer some questions and expand on a few things too.

Just keep making posts, you just need to get past the mandatory moderation queue which is only like 4 or 5 posts IIRC. And welcome! The game looks very interesting (and quite beautiful). I never played the original but this game does look and sound quite interesting to me personally.

OtakuMan30

Novice

Just keep making posts, you just need to get past the mandatory moderation queue which is only like 4 or 5 posts IIRC. And welcome! The game looks very interesting (and quite beautiful). I never played the original but this game does look and sound quite interesting to me personally.

Thanks! I appreciate the help. :)

OtakuMan30

Novice
More than twice what they asked for the Sherlock game (which is actually out on Desura now) and we all know how that went.

Not everyone, actually. There were lots of people who didn't find out about the Sherlock KickStarter until after the campaign had ended and regretted not knowing.

KickStarter and Crowd-Funding in general is a tricky and wild frontier when it comes to game development. Some games smash it right out of the park, some games do okay but not spectacular, and some games don't succeed by the end of the time limit.

However, one thing I've gathered is that being unsuccessful in one KickStarter does not necessarily determine the odds of success for other campaigns from the same person/company. I've seen quite a few KickStarters already return to KickStarter and succeed a 2nd time around; either for the same game or for a different one.

For us at Zojoi, we've learned quite a bit from the experience of the previous KickStarter and have done quite a bit of work to ensure that this campaign has a better chance of success.

You are right that the $120,000 goal is a bit more than twice of the previous campaign, but consider this: if we asked for significantly less than that, would people take us seriously? Some might see a small goal and figure that it won't be enough to do a game justice, and thus be turned away. The folks at Stoic, LLC (The Banner Saga) had a goal of $100,000 for their KickStarter, but in an interview, their original goal was $30,000. They decided to increase it because they felt that it was needed not just to get the funds for their game, but to also be taken seriously. And their case, it worked big time!

Right now, the main focus we have now isn't on the past, but on the future and Shadowgate. A lot of people requested to see Shadowgate get a KickStarter, and welp, here we are! :)

JrK

Prophet
Well community manager, a question for you:

The screenshots promise a remake of the original, I remember the NES version well and the screenshots are of some very familiar rooms. On the main site it was written that you will add or redo all the puzzles so it will be a fresh experience for veterans, but I'm wondering how true this is... Can you tell me there will be no puzzles in the game which have the exact same solutions? Will the areas be the same? To what extent will someone who has the solutions of the original memorized find this a breeze?

belated

Augur
Don't get me wrong, I hope you do raise the 120k and a lot more. It's not an overly large amount you're asking either as I expect Shadowgate has a lot of fans from the NES days. I just preferred the Sherlock Holmes games (and I'm bitter it wasn't funded). :p

The sooner you get GOG to wise up and get Sherlock Holmes on their site the sooner I can get a proper version. (Not a big Desura fan.)

OtakuMan30

Novice
Well community manager, a question for you:

The screenshots promise a remake of the original, I remember the NES version well and the screenshots are of some very familiar rooms. On the main site it was written that you will add or redo all the puzzles so it will be a fresh experience for veterans, but I'm wondering how true this is... Can you tell me there will be no puzzles in the game which have the exact same solutions? Will the areas be the same? To what extent will someone who has the solutions of the original memorized find this a breeze?

A very good question. As Dave and Karl said in the pitch video, they've been thinking up puzzles, rooms, and all kinds of extra stuff for Shadowgate over the years. There will be familiar rooms with new makeovers, and new rooms that have never been seen before. For existing rooms, you're likely going to find some where the solution is the same as it was before, and your memory will serve you well.

However, with the addition of new rooms, some of the older rooms might require something different in order to solve them. Like, say, an item found in a new room is needed to go and solve the puzzle in the familiar room, or the Sphinx might ask for an item found in a new room in order to solve its riddle.

I can't guarantee one way or another exactly how it will go (I mean first the campaign has to succeed, and then there's still alpha and beta before release), but I guess that's one way you can think about it. Your memory will help you out to an extent; and this will provide a new challenge to old and new players alike.

OtakuMan30

Novice
Don't get me wrong, I hope you do raise the 120k and a lot more. It's not an overly large amount you're asking either as I expect Shadowgate has a lot of fans from the NES days. I just preferred the Sherlock Holmes games (and I'm bitter it wasn't funded). :p

The sooner you get GOG to wise up and get Sherlock Holmes on their site the sooner I can get a proper version. (Not a big Desura fan.)

Ahhh! Thank you so much for the support and feedback! :)

Hopefully, this campaign will have an effect on GOG and get them to host Zojoi's games for easy DRM-free distribution. Technically, we could try and sell the games DRM free through Zojoi's website if we absolutely had to, but that would require building marketplace/checkout pages from just about scratch. With all the other things going on, devoting time and energy to getting that set up is not high on the priorities list, I'm afraid.

Still, fingers crossed that this campaign leads to great things! Thank you so much for the support!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That poster looks mighty tempting... A little expensive at $110 (international) just to get the poster though. I don't care much for a box or map.
That's something I liked about the Obsidian kickstarter: the add-ons. It's a headache for the KS manager for sure, but it makes the options a lot more flexible.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OtakuMan30 could you answer this:

This will be a difficult project to do. Shadowgate was unforgiving and harsh on the player. It had dead ends and gameovers and I can’t imagine modern audiences tolerating too much of that. That was part of its beauty, yet it will be tempting to change much of the game. Still, I don’t say they cannot do it, and I admire that they are brave enough to take up the challenge.

Will this new project maintain this same difficulty? I didn't see any mention of the difficulty.

Question was from here: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/999/ Another site you might want to visit.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
OtakuMan30, I don't want to sound mean, but what's the current state on the project?

I ask this because the video showed some nice artwork, but it was clearly animated via After Effects, as was even shown by the guy operating it in the background... I honestly find that a bit misleading without at least a warning/note to the viewer; just how close to that can we expect the final game to look? Is that the actual artist/art style you're aiming for the game?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I ask this because the video showed some nice artwork, but it was clearly animated via After Effects, as was even shown by the guy operating it in the background... I honestly find that a bit misleading without at least a warning/note to the viewer; just how close to that can we expect the final game to look? Is that the actual artist/art style you're aiming for the game?
I also reacted to this. Beautiful art like that either deserves better animation, or at least the option to turn of animation (which is what I would prefer).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom