Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadowgate remake - NOW AVAILABLE!

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
The beta seems to be locked on the highest level of difficulty. It's pretty nuts. The puzzles are quite a bit harder. Most of them are fun hard but there's at least two so far which involve randomly dicking around with the same set of levers until you find the right combinations. The changes caused are both several rooms away. It's a basically a big torch-waster that encourages save scumming, which is kind of bullshit adventure game design in my book.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Do they seem to be listening to beta testers and do you think they will change some of those things to be less bs?

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have no idea. I'm not even sure how we're supposed to provide feedback at this point. Googling found a bug submission form that requires login credentials which I don't seem to have ever gotten. Maybe they handed out that stuff to Kickstarter backers rather than just Hero-tier preorder plebs like myself? In case it isn't clear, anyone can now play the beta by just preordering the Hero package.

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
It turns out the switch thing I was bitching about does have a pretty clear hint. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to actually reach the hint without unlocking at least one of the combinations. Also, it turns out that it is actually used in three separate puzzles so far.

Essegi

Cipher
New update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate/posts/910084
July Update: Betas, Bugs and New features

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm happy to report that we are in the home stretch now. This last month has been insane. Let me take a guess at some of your questions and post some screen shots (we will post a video this month but Sarah is swamped atm with bug fix confirmations and other stuff.)

How long have you been in beta?
We launched a soft beta about 6 weeks ago but have been officially in beta for a month.

How is beta going?
Awesome! Approximately 600 people signed up for testing and we've probably received twice that in bug reports (that's a good thing.) As of yesterday, we do not have any Blocker or Critical bugs currently in the game and our dev team is posting new builds at least once a week with dozens (if not hundreds) of fixes.

Have you tested all three difficulty modes?
Not yet. We started with Expert (hardest) and last week we opened up Journeyman (medium) and tonight we will open up Apprentice (easy).

Are you implementing new features as well?
Yes! One of the great things about the beta process is that we get a TON of great ideas. This is how we determine if they get in. We review each suggestion and discuss it with the team. Because we have a date that we are trying to hit, we make the following decision:

• Do it. Here we feel it's important enough to do for the game before release even tho we obviously feel there are bugs to get done as well.
  • Do a subset. While we like the bigger idea, it touches too many moving parts. We identify the issues that would make the biggest impact and do a partial implementation.
  • Do it later. We like the feature but it is not critical for release and we will add it after it ships and patch the game.
  • Do it in the sequel. We like this feature but doing it now would be a hack and it would take too long to implement correctly.
  • Shelve it. We like the idea but think it needs a lot more thought so we will think about it more.
Can you give us some examples?
Sure! Here is a small list of things that we have added...

• Retro mode is now more than just audio
  • You can set Quick-Use keys (0-9) and bind them to an inventory or UI object for easy use
  • More Inventory tabs to keep track of objects easier
  • Tons and tons of additional sound effects
  • Ability to quick-save a game
  • Ability to store (or delete) as many games as you want
  • More key binds
  • Added another 5 steam-based and game-based achievements (50 total!)
  • Rooms become lighter/darker depending on your UI torch (or room light sources)
  • Interactive tutorial
I'm an NES/GBC fan. Tell me more about the retro game enhancements.
Two years ago, we contacted KEMCO, the company that took our game and ported it to the NES and GBC, to get permission to use the NES music. Last week, we decided to drop the original death screen into this build for fun. At the same time, our programmers surprised us with a few new features that made us grin. Here’s what they did:

• The options screen now has three checkboxes (Retro text, Retro music, Retro graphics). You can turn these on or off at any time.
  • The text in the text box comes up one letter at a time, pulled by a moving quill - just like in the NES version.
  • We've already mentioned the music- It's Hiroyuki Masuno's memorable soundtrack.
  • For graphics, a special pixelated filter has been applied to the scene, rendering everything in the room as if it is was made in 8-bit graphics. While the filter isn't currently applied to the inventory objects, it’s a ton of fun to walk thru the rooms and watch 8 bit torches burn.
What's left on the list of things you need to do?
Well, outside of bug fixes, here is a short list:

• We are still tweaking animations
  • We are still adding sfx and a few music bits
  • Balancing game play (especially counters: torches, end game, curses, etc.)
Okay, the big question... when does the game ship?
Barring any unforeseen event, we will be shipping next month! We will announce the date next week after the testers have gotten a chance to beat on easy mode.

That's it for now. Some screenshots are below (although pixilated mode is a little hard to see). Again, we'll post a video when Sarah comes up for air. If you still want in on the beta and you pledged $30 or more, just go here. And, we're never to busy to answer your questions. Just email us at contact@zojoi.com.

Thanks!

The Zojoi Team

6d3b7e56207dea3dbab5727dafc83011_large.jpg

Three more inventory tabs help you keep track of objects
d931613473d8374f0a4f14a07c8e7f0d_large.jpg

Retro Mode is now more than just music
a13cbde0aff6db49bf844fef791e9431_large.jpg

An iconic chasm gets a retro-facelift
eefe741444a9dbff5a5707d24793eb71_large.jpg

The text comes up like back in the NES days

Essegi

Cipher
Coming on Steam 21st August 2014:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/23/e...date-and-new-side-by-side-comparison-trailer/
Exclusive: Shadowgate release date and new side-by-side comparison trailer

Shadowgate was a brutally-hard Mac (and later NES) adventure game, where one failed puzzle could murder you and force you to start all over. The remake that Zojoi Studios has coming updates those visuals for the modern age, but keeps the puzzles difficult and the atmosphere dark. When I spoke to developer Karl Roelofs last month about the game's progress, the team still wasn't sure about its release date. Now that date is set, and Zojoi has exclusively revealed it to us, along with a trailer that shows off Shadowgate's commitment to its history.

August 21 is that date, when Shadowgate will launch on Steam for the PC. It's also the date when modern gamers will realize just how difficult puzzle-adventure games of this type were back in the good old days. I've played a few hours of Shadowgate's beta build, which challenges you to enter the "living" Castle Shadowgate and defeat an evil warlock using only your wits and whatever you can find inside, and it does not mess around. Choosing the wrong path means instant failure, though thankfully this new version is much more generous with your save game options. It also includes new difficulty levels that simplify the puzzles, if the faithfully reproduced dangers are too much for you.

Staying faithful to the original is what this new trailer is all about. It shows side-by-side comparisons of Castle Shadowgate from the NES original and the new reboot. For even more info, read my chat with design director Karl Roelofs, where we talk about the process of bringing Shadowgate back to life.

Last edited:
this looks goddamn great. I still remember the first time I played Shadowgate back in 1990 on the NES, it was glorious.

I'm kinda bummed that the wraith looks like generic lotr film nazgul fluff instead of the cool 80's skeleton it used to be, though.

Azazel

Arbiter
I'm quite annoyed that they aren't selling that badass poster separately. It create the perfect trifecta with my Enemy Starfighter and Banner Saga ones.

Boleskine

Arcane
Update #50

August Update: Getting Ready for Launch!

Hey everyone! Let's get to it!

DRM-Free or Steam Key?

First, this is a big month for us. Shadowgate will launch on August 21st! It’s been a long journey and we are excited to bring this re-imagined game to the masses and want to update you on how the distribution of the game will work for you, our very important backers.

When we set up our Kickstarter, it was undetermined at that time if we would launch on Steam. Now that we have been greenlit and are launching on Steam, it gives us the opportunity to offer an alternative download format to you. So on August 21st, you can go into your Humble store account and see two download options: a DRM-free version of the game (as promised) OR a Steam version of the game including full Steam integration (achievements, steam trading cards and automatic updates). DRM-free users will get both Mac and PC builds but will need to manually updated when patches become available. Please be careful in your choice since the unchosen version will be locked. The only difference between the Steam version and the DRM-free version is the aforementioned Steam features (i.e. stat tracking, Steam achievements.) Anyway, we wanted to be sure that we are transparent and up-front with you, our faithful backers. who have supported Shadowgate through the last few years!

Rewards

We will continue to update digital rewards to your humble account as they become available as well. For those who ordered the box, map, books, etc., those should be going out next month after we burn the builds to a DVD (We should be able to do Mac and PC builds on one disk!)

That reminds me... EMAIL US IF YOUR HOME ADDRESS HAS CHANGED! Sorry about the caps but really, it's important as we won't be able to send the swag twice. We can be reached here... contact@zojoi.com

Update video

Sarah has finally had time to put together a video showing some of the new features of the game. They include:

• Quick Use option: Key-binding inventory and UI objects for QUICK-USEing something multiple times.
  • Retro mode (music, text box, and transitions): BTW, it should be noted that for the moment, we have removed Retro graphics. We just didn't have enough time to tweak them to our satisfaction so we're gonna delay that for an update down the road probably.
  • Hide UI (immersive mode): Shows how to play the game with auto-hiding the UI, rolling over commands or simply using key binds (my favorite).
Okay, there you go. You know how to reach us or post a question here.

Thanks again for everything!

Team Z

Essegi

Cipher
Update #51
Launch Update! DRM-free AND Steam and other bits...

Hey everyone, let's get to it, shall we?

DRM-Free AND Steam

Well, tomorrow's the day, eh? First, in case you missed the update to the update a week or so ago, when we launch, you will now be able to download both the DRM-free Windows and Mac version and a copy of the game on Steam no matter what level you pledged at. The digital art book will also be available (Note that is has many of the game rooms in it so it may contain spoilers!)

The game, keys and digital rewards are all hosted by our friends at Humble. If you have lost (or not received) a personal Humble key, you can use this handy link to retrieve it. If that doesn't work, send us an email at contact@zojoi.com.

Physical Rewards

We've always strived to make sure that we provided the best physical rewards and finish them on time. The soft and hardcover books came in last week and, with the exception of the DVD for the box, everything is ready to go. So, as soon as the duplication process is done, all rewards will be going out. This includes some rewards our international backers have not received yet (we didn't want to ship 3 times internationally.)

Now, we have asked a number of times that if you are set to receive physical rewards AND you have moved since we launched the Kickstarter campaign, PLEASE send us a change of address to contact@zojoi.com. If we don't hear from you, we will ship to the address we have on record and because we have a limited amount of goods, will not be able to ship twice if we hear from you later.

ad5b2dbf2019610ce4e80225e692ef45_large.JPG

Cool stuff!
Last but not least

We know we've said it before but we really are thankful for every person that pledged or supported us. We know you have been patient as we ran late on the project and we very much appreciate that as well. This has been a fun (and exhausting) 2 years and as we get ready to finalize the tablet versions, we're just as excited about Shadowgate as ever. As you know, we're a pretty small shop with pretty big expectations. We've tried to go above and beyond your expectations as well, continually adding things to the game to make it better and better. We hope you enjoy Shadowgate and will tell your friends about it so that we can continue to make these unique types of adventure games. Note that we will update the Steam client with patches (if needed) and perhaps new content/features. We will also work with Humble to update the DRM-free versions.

Alright, that's it for now. We'll send an update next month and be keeping an eye on how many times you've shaken hands with the Grim Reaper!

Team Z

Nice, both Steam AND DRM free!:yeah:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
HumbleBundle is not showing the keys yet for this (it is showing for the other stuff, like wallpapers and the downloable soundtrack, if you pledged for that. Which is great by the way).

:rpgcodex:

I'll try later. I need to finish the last area in Gateway to the Savage Frontier anyways......

Essegi

Cipher
Unlocked! As i supsected 7pm ita hour as other Steam stuff...
947.6 MB

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
This went completely under my radar, but it looks great.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jebus H Christmas! HumbleBundle makes you jump through 1000 fucking hoops. JUST FUCKING GIVE ME THE FUCKING KEY NUMBER.

Assholes. Now I have to sit and fucking wait for an e-mail because I am using a different computer. :roll:

Fucking Bullshit. If ANY KS project uses this FUCKING SHIT HUMBLE BUNDLE SHIT SITE I will NEVER EVER EVER back a project that uses this fucking shit site ever again!

Last edited:

Essegi

Cipher
Jebus H Christmas! HumbleBundle makes you jump through 1000 fucking hoops. JUST FUCKING GIVE ME THE FUCKING KEY NUMBER.

Assholes. Now I have to sit and fucking wait for an e-mail because I am using a different computer. :roll:

Fucking Bullshit. If ANY KS project uses this FUCKING SHIT HUMBLE BUNDLE SHIT SITE I will NEVER EVER EVER back a project that uses this fucking shit site ever again!
Same for me, email code arrived outright btw.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I use 2 computers (one for browsing and one just for games). It is RAGE indusing when I have to use the other computer just to get a key. And then go through ALL fucking bullshit to verify everything. Fuck that shit. Just give me my fucking key.

Essegi

Cipher
Yeah, that sucks!
The nice thing is that you can disable this BUT then you need to put a passkey from your phone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom