Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadowgate remake - NOW AVAILABLE!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
50DCE3435628B0A4D63175ECF38A82628F0922B0

If you turn the tutorial option on, there is a talking skull that walks you through how the interface works (recommended).

Seriously, not even 4 minutes into the game and......

8E2BC8B7A8A136CDC8D7E1E3F03C93D6AFC2976C

695648DBCFCDBF12DBDD6604A3D8B3685ADA8E3F

02CE248F05B4E50BD3F2C91E50BEA571AF4554CC

:incline:

And that last pic will now be my desktop wallpaper. To remind me how dumb I am.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I really like the transparent UI in those shots.

The 1st picture is what it looks like normally. As events happen it goes transparent.

In case any of you are wondering what kind of adventure games this is like: Basically there are fixed scenes, where you can LOOK USE etc... I have not come across any incredibly minute pixel hunting (yet). Everything is logical and right there in front of you if you look carefully. Like I just found a passage (of which you need to do something in order to get into it). I walked by that about 20 times before I then used the look and based on the description (and the descriptions do NOT give things away very obviously) I tried to interact with it a certain way, and I found a passage.

There are torches you find, and your currently lit torch IS on a timer, it will eventually burn down. So you need to find and manage them as you find them. As your torch burns down, the screen will get darker (I like that).

I really like the art so far (considering the budget for this). And you can DIE. Also there are spells you can find, but they DON'T tell you what they do. I have 2 spells currently but I have no fucking clue what they do yet. :lol:

So far I give this a :thumbsup:

It's a great update of a great game. I remember playing the NES shadowgate some 23 years ago and being completely mesmerized. This is a respectful retelling with surprisingly great artwork and music. I'm playing on expert and no hints, still pretty early on but there are enough twists to make it different from the original so I don't remember everything exactly, even though most things so far have been familiar even after all this time; I still remembered some puzzle solutions. I like the map overview as well, things can get confusing later on when there are many branching paths. Very well done.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS doesn't like it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/21/shadowgate-an-hour-with/

The core concept of the game remains the same, and while that initially sounds like the right decision, it’s too much the same. This new version takes advantage of resolutions a squillionty-times bigger than the original, with entirely re-drawn graphics, new locations and puzzles, but it takes advantage of very little else.

The game – a first-person fantasy adventure-RPG – takes place in static screens, with movement conveyed via transitions. I would have loved to have seen an embracing of something more Legends Of Grimrocky, but understand the game sticking with this format. What I don’t understand is keeping the verb-based interface. What I absolutely don’t understand is keeping the verbs at the top of the screen, in the most clumsy arrangement.

Originally the viewing area of the screen was a small box, in the middle, and obviously that would be daft now. Instead, rightly, the whole screen is the viewing area. Unfortunately it’s one that is then obscured and cluttered by having the original enormous text box covering the bottom fifth of the screen, and the verbs blocking the top fifth. With so much more space, with widescreen now the norm, there was such an opportunity to move the verbs and make the layout more sensible. Heck, the NES version in 1989 moved them to the right! You can hide the UI entirely, but then of course you’re just stabbing at keyboard shortcuts, and it’s even more confusing. There was such an opportunity to streamline this, but instead it’s just as it was.

There were excellent systems invented by the 1990s, such as rotating cursors, or right-click in-frame menus, that dealt with the frustrations of late 80s adventuring. It’s odd that this is all forgotten. And that this wasn’t seen as a chance to try improving things, making it all slightly more intuitive, and having the game realise if I click my lit torch, and then on an unlit torch, I’m probably not trying to get the first to eat the second. That if I want to USE a lever, there’s a fair chance it’s not going to be an unavailable attempt to chop it to pieces with a sword, but just, well, use it.

And in another backward step from the earlier version, your inventory is now a pop-up window, meaning to use something in it, you’re now clicking to open up the needlessly screen-filling box, highlighting an object in there (but not visibly picking it up) then the choosing a verb from the top, and having to re-close the inventory window to be able to actually use the object. If I select “USE” after I’ve clicked on the key, it could just flipping close the inventory for me. It’s just so clumsy. Again, the 90s figured this out, with inventories that slide into view when the mouse hits the edge of the screen.

The result means an extremely archaic system remains laborious to play. Which is an odd choice. I’m absolutely certain that many will be thrilled the verbs are still in there – I get that. A remake of Day Of The Tentacle with the verbs removed would be a difficult thing for me to be happy with. But here they’re more of an obstacle than they ever were twenty-five years ago.

The other massive issue I’ve experienced in the early parts of the game is the choice of how the game’s been redrawn. Originally it was scratchy collection of line drawings for the Mac, then made pixelly for later releases. And it looked smart and pleasant. Now it appears to be a collection of concept art. Nice enough, but, you know, what you’d usually see pinned to noticeboards in development studios, or printed in ludicrously shiny art books accompanying £200 special editions. That’s fine – that’s a stylistic choice, albeit one that makes the game look scrappy. But unfortunately, interactive objects are too often rendered in the same way. So I was left aimlessly clicking at the screen, trying to work out what might be a rock I’m supposed to care about, and what’s just background detail. Even worse, when I have clicked on something I can use, it’s indicated by lightening up slightly – something that’s almost imperceptible in many cases.

And oftentimes, these hand-scribbled scenes just look dreadful. Barren, bland and frustrating to click around.

This, combined with the insta-death for clicking on the wrong thing, for me made for a wholly unappealing process – one that’s a real struggle to want to stick with in the space year 2014. Oh, and they’ve added a smug skull who gives you smug hints – he’s a dick.

The whole thing, weirdly, feels to me like a backward step from the far more optimised NES version. There is, however, quicksave, and they’ve set up a way to assign some actions to number keys, but none of it fixes the core stumbling points here.

If you have particular nostalgia for the game, I can understand wanting to experience it anew. It’s not an identical game – the original team has added new areas and puzzles, meaning it’ll be a new experience even for dedicated fans. But I no longer possess a tolerance for games that enjoy killing me every other screen because I clicked on the wrong thing, and I suspect I’m not alone. I equally suspect that there are many who desperately yearn for this, and will claw at this to enjoy the punishment.

I so wish more effort had been put into updating the game (with options to retro it for the mad). I am certain this will find an audience of those who yearn for the olden days, but equally sure it will not grab a new audience who can only read about such days in dusty old books.

Last edited:

Essegi

Cipher
And that last pic will now be my desktop wallpaper. To remind me how dumb I am.
Hey, also discover all deaths is part of that game!:D Though i suppose death by flame... Is death by flame wether you speak or try to pick something
Btw i'm glad that there are keyboard shortcuts even in this first version.

That could be my first adventure (and i'm not a so young player...). Never been into that kind of games. But that looks like to be too good to be skipped and the atmoshpere is what i like.
And you will die!:incline:
RPS doesn't like
It's true that inventory stuff it's not the most fluent thing, but with hotkeys you play fast... I can't say i had a bad experience.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Richard Cobbett is hating on this game so much in his tweets that it's actually pretty funny. It sounds like adventure game deaths did something bad to him as a child.

https://twitter.com/richardcobbett/status/502597482208317441
https://twitter.com/richardcobbett/status/502807121998925824

He's still better than many other adventure game reviewers because at least he's thorough enough, even if popamole.

Oh boy, I really forgot about this one. Missed that goddamn grim reaper, gonna embrace me some shadows this weekend!

Edit: There is something going on with Gamespot nowadays...

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/shadowgate-review/1900-6415848/

Funny how people complain about a "7" in the comments, and the reviewer has to point out that 7 means "Good" and not "Abominable". Inflated review scores these days...

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Looks absolutely gorgeous, I wish I could have afforded to support their kickstarter campaign at the time...
Is it bound to be released on GOG at some point?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I would assume so. I was actually surprised this didn't come out on STEAM and GOG at the same time. Though maybe they struck some deal with STEAM, or something like that?

JudasIscariot do you know anything about this? (If you can say anything, if not, totally understand).

Boleskine

Arcane
Zojoi said this in kickstarter comments.

Gonchi Greenfr0G Saban - We don't have a deal with GOG at the moment but I'm sure we will in the near future.

The only DRM-free version of the game is for kickstarter backers (and initially backers had to choose between DRM-free or Steam before Zojoi later decided to give both).

So, I'm guessing they are reluctant to release the game DRM-free, or they want to focus on delivering updates to one version (Steam) before later releasing a DRM-free build. I don't think GOG would reject this game since it's right up their alley.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, they may be waiting until they have THE final version, then get it on GOG.

Some observations:

If you are an idiot (like me) and you light any of the torches on the wall (instead of putting them in your backback) they WILL eventually burn out.

So don't be an idiot like me.

I'm a bit paranoid I may have wasted too many torches, so I am starting over. But I know exactly what to do now. I hope I get to kill that asshole who fires the arrow at you (I know NOW how to always avoid possibly dying to that). HE NEEDS TO SUFFER!

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

I would assume so. I was actually surprised this didn't come out on STEAM and GOG at the same time. Though maybe they struck some deal with STEAM, or something like that?

JudasIscariot do you know anything about this? (If you can say anything, if not, totally understand).

Sorry I don't know anything :(

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We don't have any staff that I know of doing one. But if someone wants to do one, do it and send it to us via the CONTACT US button.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Was Shadowgate the game where you had to put some coppers on the table so the ghost would stop moving the key away from your grasp everytime you tried to pick it up?

Redlands

Arcane

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Was Shadowgate the game where you had to put some coppers on the table so the ghost would stop moving the key away from your grasp everytime you tried to pick it up?

No, that wasn't in it. If it was Shadowgate the ghost would just straight up ice you as a joke.

Anyway, FUCK YEAH! SHADOWGATE! DOWNLOADING NOW AT...

4 HOURS REMAINING!

Fucking hostels...

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, looks like there's already a few solutions changed. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and...

Grabbing the shield first in the Dragon Room does not protect you from the fire like in the original.

Playing on the hardest difficulty, and using the shield on yourself in the dragon room definitely does what it did in the original - protect you for a certain number of moves. Not sure what you're doing wrong.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah it would seem ODD if they changed that. Unless you need to get a certain item.... from another screen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom