Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadowgate remake - NOW AVAILABLE!

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Playing on the hardest difficulty, and using the shield on yourself in the dragon room definitely does what it did in the original - protect you for a certain number of moves. Not sure what you're doing wrong.

I figured it out. I simply Took the shield which automatically made the shield protect yourself in the GBC version, which is what I played originally. My mistake.

Starwars

Arcane
So is this game actually any good or is it just because the "omg I'm getting raped by the difficulty I LOVE IT" thing that the Codex seems to like it? Never played the original.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So is this game actually any good or is it just because the "omg I'm getting raped by the difficulty I LOVE IT" thing that the Codex seems to like it? Never played the original.

I like it so far (I did not play the original either), in that all the puzzles are logical, and it requires you to pay attention to your surroundings. And I really like the Art style.

It's the best ICOM simulations adventure game IMO (and most of the old ICOM games were pretty cool, especially Uninvited) and the update is both respectful and tasteful.

Reviewers complaining about the difficulty just don't understand that there was a time when you actually could die in games and that finishing them wasn't a birthright, you had to work for it - it certainly wasn't impossible for my 11 year old self when I first played it, but then again I didn't have 150 new games to play every week, so I kept at it for the better part of 6 months or so.

It's really not especially hard, the puzzles are pretty logical (you have to think out of the box a couple of times but nothing too weird); even on the highest difficulty the torch timer is pretty lenient. The new map screen is really helpful. I would say they allocated their limited development budget very wisely - there's no extraneous fluff like total voiceovers or overlong animations; but the artwork is really strong and the music is great, atmosphere is really important in this game and they've totally nailed it. Worth full price for sure.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Agreed Great Deceiver. I'm hoping they will do another game like this (maybe another tower like this in the same setting etc...). Because if they do

:takemymoney:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reviewers complaining about the difficulty just don't understand that there was a time when you actually could die in games and that finishing them wasn't a birthright, you had to work for it - it certainly wasn't impossible for my 11 year old self when I first played it, but then again I didn't have 150 new games to play every week, so I kept at it for the better part of 6 months or so.

Effects of the decline. All those years thought me multiple save slots and save every 10-15 minutes. Ye'olde action-adventures were not forgiving.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK it has been a week and I give up. How the fuck do you deal with the Fire Drake? Even reading the walkthrough for the original, I already DID do what you need to do to get past him (nothing happens to the drake or the room). I guess they changed this?

In the original, you just use the Orb on the Fire, and that somehow gets rid of the Fire Drake (and the fire in the room). I've tried just the Orb, and orb filled with the water elemental, and the orb filled with the ice elemental. Using it on the fire or the drake just releases the elemental. *RIPS HAIR*

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Watched a youtube of someone playing the first 3 or 4 rooms. UI seems terrible.

Zep--

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I have to concur, the GUI could be done better.
There are weird latencies in many operations.
LOOK could have been bound to the right mouse button.
Selecting USE then an object, then hovering outside the inventory window should be sufficient to close the inventory.

Anyway, I'm having great fun, and I'm really suffering (in journeyman mode), often using a walkthrough. My brain is getting old...
(Hating the catacomb maze though, because I hate mazes, that's what I do)

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
PS: The "use shield on myself" is an example of bad design.
I understand it was in the original game.
But when you're used to text adventures (Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls...), you think that this is a composite statement equivalent to "take shield and use it on myself".
So you might try to take the shield, and die, and think the shield is not the solution to the problem.
The character indeed takes the shield, so why forbid the player to do it in two steps ?

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Codex review needed.
Incoming?

I sincerely hope so. I'm kind of holding out for the GOG release (assuming it happens at some point, of course), but might decide to grab it earlier from Steam if it's as good as early reports seemed to indicate.

Essegi

Cipher
Update #52
September Update: Rewards and upcoming content

Hey everyone,

Launch Update

Well, it's been an interesting last few weeks. As you know, the game went live on Steam (and various other retail sites) on August 21. Unfortunately, on the same day it went up, Steam had an 80% off sale on about 20 AAA titles. So, that took the wind out of our sails a bit. However, the folks at Valve were very cool with us and ran a banner for a few days and that helped get us some good exposure.

We also launched on Gog.com on Tuesday with both a Special edition and standard version (currently #3 and #9). The only difference between the two is that special edition simply has more swag. If yer a GoG fan and need a key, just fire us off an email at contact@zojoi.com.

Help Wanted

With those things in mind, if you finished the game, you know that we are working on a sequel. We are also itching to start working on Uninvited and Deja Vu. However, we need your help if that's going to happen. Here's what you can do:

• If you have a social media account (FB, Twitter, etc) and could tell folks about Shadowgate, we would really appreciate it. You can find FB banners here as well.
  • If you enjoyed the game, please take a few moments to go on GoG and give both the Special edition and regular edition a rating and a review.
  • Also, if you liked it, please rate and post a review on our Steam page!
Keys?

By now everyone should have their humble keys to download a DRM-free Win and Mac version and one for Steam. If you don't have it or the junk mail folder ate it, you can use this handy link to get the key. NOTE: You must use the email you used when you pledged to the game. If that doesn't work, you know the drill, just email us ^_^

Game Update

We've been busy working on multiple fronts over the last month as well. First, we are going to release an update (obviously free to all backers and those who bought the game). The update will feature an alternate command system, a number of other changes to the UI and two new difficulty modes. We are also working on a new Halloween themed side quest that we think is very fun. We will start beta testing these features next week.

Rewards

The soft and hardcover books are in and look great! We have sent the final DVD (with both Win and Mac builds on it) to the manufacturer. So now we are just waiting to get that back before sending out the last of the physical rewards. We are also working on the iOS and Android builds and making the modifications required to make the game work well on it. I apologize for not having a specific time frame on those yet but will definitely send out an update when we do!

Thanks!

We are very very thankful for your support! I know that may sound trite but we really are. We could NEVER have brought Shadowgate back without your help. Thanks so much!!!

The Zojoi Team

Hey, here is our launch trailer if you never saw it ^_^

A GoG key won't hurt, i've asked it. Nice.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Twain Harte, California – October 14, 2014 – Adventure game developer Zojoi and Reverb Triple XP, a veteran team that helps bring indie games to life, announced today a massive new content update coming soon to Shadowgate. Available in late October, this Shadowgate update showcases a haunting Halloween-themed addition entitled the ‘Dread Pumpkin Quest,’ as well as a litany of improvements ranging from an alternate command system, additional achievements and new Casual and Ironman game modes.

“We’re really appreciative of all the support from long-time fans as well as new players to Shadowgate,” said Karl Roelofs, Design Director with Zojoi. “We’ve been receiving tons of great feedback and, with Halloween approaching, it was only natural to treat both new and existing players with an update that brings new game modes and improvements to current features. We think these additions will not only add replay value to the game, but make it a bit more fun for first time players unfamiliar with the Shadowgate franchise. Plus we’ve always wanted to do a side-quest paying homage to the Great Pumpkin but with our own take on the classic.”

Also with this new Shadowgate update, players will enjoy improved save and load features, object visibility options, a retro graphics add-on and much more that will help adventurers navigate the treacherous dangers of the living fortress Shadowgate.​

Game Boomers

imweasel

I used to own the original Shadowgate on the NES. I can still remember buying Shadowgate and Final Fantasy together because they were on sale. :)

I guess I can pick this up for 5 bucks.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I really enjoyed it. Well worth the price, and the different difficulties were also a nice touch.

Ivan

Arcane
BACKLOG CLEANUP: Finished my first run of this and had mostly an enjoyable time. As with many oldschool point and clicks adv games, I did fall into the trap of becoming frustrated with what the game demanded I do versus it respecting my out of the box thinking, which also led to pulling up walkthroughs. I thought the game was strongest during its opening, but all that logic aside, the game's presentation is really top notch. The artwork is beautiful the whole way through and the sound does its job well too. All in all, a slightly trepidatious recommendation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom