Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Brotherman Bill, Feb 27, 2014.

1. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Yeah, same here.
    In the end, a lower chance to hit just means you have to reload more often (or even worse stuff happens in ironman mode/games).

Of course, if we're talking about something like 10% less chance to hit for 50% damage bonus, I might be tempted.
    But -10% to hit for just 10-20% more damage? No way.
    In the end the average damage/hit chance ratio has to improve noticeably to even consider it.
    And even then I'd probably only consider it in a situation like "I could kill this enemy in just one turn if I use this item".

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Someone was talking a few pages back about selling items from chargen. Uh... how do you sell shit? I finished the game and I never noticed any way to do so. Then again, I was already close to the endgame before I realised you could upgrade your companions, that really helped.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Any vendor. They all have a Sell Gear / Stash button.

^ Top  
  4. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Haha, wow. What do you know.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Finally got around to finishing this one and Shadowrun Returns. Conclusion: Great, but I wish it was longer with many more missions.

The dialogue was indeed superb in this one - and it was the first game in a long time where I did not turn off the music. Some tracks I absolutely loved:

Are there any mod campaigns out there that you would recommend?

• Brofist x 11
    • Salute x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    I enjoyed Nightmare Harvest.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. eXalted Savant

eXalted
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I don't think the character system would support a longer game. While I don't think I talked about that when I was recounting my run through these 3 games, it's popping into my mind now. The whole combat system in fact. The games are short enough so it doesn't overstay its welcome, but I do think it's bare bones and not all that interesting. The setting, writing and character archetypes are what keep these games together.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    Hong Kong is worth a playthrough if you haven't yet. Were the combat better, the bad writing would be more tolerable in that one.

If you ever feel like replaying Dragonfall, try ungimping the AI (its easy to do youself or there are already fixed files around) and/or taking 3 characters max instead of 4 for spicier, more satisfying combat.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Owlish Arcane

Owlish
    The atmosphere in it is nice but there's little actual C&C and it's very on the rails. You can literally click any dialogue option and it will have the exact same response to all selections, sometimes there's an additional sentence of flavor text before it goes to the default response, and you automatically get the same mission in the same order no matter what you select.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Well, you can choose the order in which you do the missions at least. And there is some C&C, eg. APEX and it helping you in the final location.

What I was wondering about: Two of the clients said they would not employ me again. Did I miss out on a couple missions or was that just flavor text?

^ Top  
  12. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    It's an easter egg for Codexers.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ESh Arcane

ESh
    Flavor text.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. zaper Bolsonaruto Developer

zaper
    Is there any mod for Shadowrun which entirelly removes all the magical stuff? I love tbt and cyberpunk settings, but I hate the idea of having elves in it.

• Racist x 4
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • No x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Tried the SR Unlimited module. Seems to be big, but meh. Don't know, maybe it gets better later.

^ Top  
  16. eXalted Savant

eXalted
    Really liked the idea but it just felt bland to me. Played 2 hours only though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    This is very true, but it's also true of most games. Also I think the writing (in the first two anyway, haven't played Hong Kong) is mostly really good, and good at disguising how little choice you really have. These games definitely get by on good writing, cool atmosphere, unique setting and solid combat though. They're very budget in a lot of ways and limited as a result.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    I never finished this game

• Participation Award x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sukhāvatī a.k.a. ManjuShri Patron

Sukhāvatī
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lightknight Liturgist

Lightknight
    I must be missing something big and obvious. It is easy to see all the little improvements over DMS that make Dragonfall tolerable, but ...it's still just so bland and boring. Combat is uninspired, slow, and lacking options. Story is linear drag, that, while interesting, doesnt mesh with the gameplay all that well, it's like an adventure\RPG mutant. Character system is...having never played P&P games - THIS is what was touted as the great rival to AD&D, along with GURPS ? Seriously ? And supposedly the company is run by THE guy who made the system and wrote all the lore, and after decades of practicing his craft - this is the best he could do ? The game completely lacking the "WOW" factor in any one area ?

I'll go play Baldur Trilogy pack now. Need to wash this crap down with something palatable.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    biggest problem i had with hong kong was the easy combat,especially if you compare it with dragonfall.
    otherwise you have to keep in mind that this is a crpg for people that dont play crpgs.
    any good campaign modules/rebalance mods?
    not anime lvl crap thank you.

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fastjack Augur

fastjack
    tbf the system is not very similar to the PnP, the sega game was a real-time implementation of the PnP with minimal changes to account for real-time (obviously lacking a lot of skills that the game didn't implement though).

^ Top  
  23. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Yeah, the end fight in Dragonfall against people was harder than the one in Hong Kong against a fucking demon.

My favorite was where you had to steal the MK 6(?) secret weapon in Dragonfall. Wasn't too hard, but a lot of fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    yea,on very hard i had to use the mutated troll to get pass the security teams.

^ Top  
  25. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    if only there was a mod that made DF and HK harder

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)