Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Ulminati, Aug 20, 2015.

1. zool Cipher

zool
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    I'll check it out later, when I'm home.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. pOcHa Erudite Patron

pOcHa
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    hey, are there any really good mods (on par or better than the base game)?

also, got so annoyed by bonus campaign ending that i removed the game together with saves in a rush - but forgot to first tryout the cyber whip... strangely there are no images or videos of it on the net - someone has any?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    The Caldecott Caper and CalFree in Chains are the best user campaigns available in Steam workshop, both by same author.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Why

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. pOcHa Erudite Patron

pOcHa
    duncan is such an ungrateful whiny little bitch (yet still clingy in the "good" ending) - he sorely needed a good smacking throughout the whole campaign

like someone made a mod for dragonfall with the options to fire blitz (90% did it immediately)

^ Top  
  7. InD_ImaginE Cipher

InD_ImaginE
    Eh honestly while Duncan is annoying in Bonus campaign I find his characterization enjoyable in the sense that it gives the player alternatives view to the whole Shadowrunning thing.

Regardless how hilariously evil Mega Corps are in SR, in the end of the day living as criminal is not for everybody. The whole main campaign I echoed that view as well whenever the choices were available. In the end of Bonus Campaign, sad as it was, I also chose to come back being normal citizen with Duncan and the old man because I RP'ed a guy who is basically were just forced by circumstances to be a runner.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Ovplain Arcane

Ovplain
    I just recently played through the bonus campaign and I hated it, really. It was a pointless little slog.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    Hong Kong is unreplayable because of the trash combat

• not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I played through the first and dragonfall both twice already. And I've restarted Hong Kong like 6 times and never really made any headway. It's just so boring. Really seems like they phoned it in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. pOcHa Erudite Patron

pOcHa
    can't be sure, played others too long ago, but i think that in this one much more combat is skipable/optional and the rest smaller in scale - and that also goes for decking as well (maybe that is why you are so starved for cash)

but racter and gaichu stories are really worth it, just for them alone - their writing is top notch

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I don't actually remember many of Hong Kong's missions. I remember one at a business skyscraper, one at a boat-restaurant, Gaichu's mission aaaaaand... that's it. I fairly enjoyed it when I played it, though, which was before Dragonfall. That's what I actually recommend doing, Dead Man's Switch -> Hong Kong -> Dragonfall.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. FreshCorpse Learned

FreshCorpse
    Does anyone know when I get the 6th level for my companions? I'm well into the epilogue now, did every optional mission in the main game. I'm fairly sure it's bugged but just wondering if it has yet to trigger?

If it is bugged, is there a console command or something I can use to trigger it?

^ Top  
  14. ESh Arcane

ESh
    Companions get Lv6 upgrades early in the bonus campaign. If that's what you are refering to by "epilogue" it's probably bugged, but if you are just talking about the epilogue of the main campaign there's no worry.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    ^ Top  
  15. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    i forgot to mention i didn't care much for it

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. FreshCorpse Learned

FreshCorpse
    I'm in the bonus campaign, haven't been to Tiger Den yet. Sounds like it's coming.

^ Top  
  17. FreshCorpse Learned

FreshCorpse
    Level 6 never triggered. I have subsequently read that it's supposed to happen during Act 2 of the main campaign. Oh well, typical HBS.

Finished the bonus campaign though. Have to say, killing Krait with one of her own spider tanks was pretty fucking cool.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ESh Arcane

ESh
    • Brofist x 11
    • Salute x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    agris your mod can be used for all shadowrun games?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Except DMS. It may work if you port DMS into DF, I don’t remember.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. roshan Arcane

roshan
    What are the details of Agris' mod?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ESh Arcane

ESh
    In the SRR trilogy, enemies can only spend 1 AP per turn on attacks or abilities. Agris' mod removes that limitation.

• incline incline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 9
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Finished this yesterday. I feel like the Shadowrun games have really solid writing ; it doesn't entirely pull the games to the heights of greatness, but to me, there was something engaging about it throughout. A lot of designers have tried to put emphasis on writing with the isometric renewal in the last years, but more often than not it failed - it would be probably difficult to point out exactly why... video game writing works not only on the quality of the writing, but how it's presented and what it means for the experience. In Hong Kong, it sure wasn't always meaningful - they slipped up in many parts. The main story was clumsy and a lot of details they wanted to convey to the player ended up feeling like clutter. But you do get the feeling that they were invested in what they were writing. NPCs like Duncan or Racter are probably some of the best written characters you could think of in any crpg. A simple portrait and some lines describing their behavior was enough to make them feel more alive than any kind of animation and voice acting. There's some real accomplishment there. The setting is something quite fun in itself - it explores moods and ideas, it's very eclectic ; it's probably one of the reason the writing works. Pillars of Eternity showed well enough that careful world-creating was entirely unnecessary as a base for good writing - it makes it just an exercise in analytic tediousness so that everything makes sense and as a "proper place". Here in Shadowrun you get more of an exercise in violent colors and themes - it works as a psychological experience ; doubly so because the psychology of most characters are engaging - "realism" hasn't anything to do with it.

In terms of gameplay, the system works but overstays its welcome. It would need to be considerably harder and more complex for it to work - tactical games require tension to be interesting experiences... some encounter design manages to create that tension, which translates well into the narration : it makes you feel like your characters are small and vulnerable, like they're just trying to survive. But in the end you do feel like, well, like in any crpg endgame : like a demigod. This works for the narrative too, because it can mean that your guy is more experienced ; but an experienced shadowrunner is supposed to be successful because he's paranoid and careful, not because he can fight the world with 3 guys backing him up. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be much point in trying to think how the system could have been done better ; it's not the main appeal of these games, I think.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)