Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Ulminati, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Rev Arcane

Rev
    The fights were cool at the beginning, but later on they lose some appeal when you had to face the same type of enemies, and with the same waves mechanics over and over again. They were pretty easy as well, it just took longer to finish them due to the spawning. But I did like the final fight in the girl's side quest (I choose to screw off everyone) and some nice touches here and there, like hacking the terminal and exploding cars around the enemies in the police station.

I agree with everyone saying that they should've added a third ending.
    Show Spoiler
    I for one wanted to tell that Auntie bitch to fuck off from the very beginning of HK, and continue to work in the shadows with some proper fixer and the freedom to do what I want or go wherever I like, but that's not possible in the OC nor in the expansion. I guess someone at HBS really loves his Auntie Cheng character.

^ Top  
  2. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    You still can't throw Tumblr overboard either

^ Top  
  3. InD_ImaginE Cipher

InD_ImaginE
    Because you are just an average joe with no experience in shadowrunning whatsoever. Why the heck anybody want to become your fixer when the whole HKPF is on your tail, you having no credibility, leave alone helpin you find your father or the plastic faced man("But I don't want to find my father, I want to just shadowrun." Then play AoD, or ask VD to make his next game in SR series). Oh, and it might be gameplay+story segregation (as in if you actually fight, you could probably win... or not. I doubt any of your crew except perhaps Duncan and Gaichu would side with you), but you are in fucking triad village which is in her control. Telling her to fuck off would probably resulted in your corpse floating the water.

^ Top  
  4. Rev Arcane

Rev
    What you say is true for the first half of the original campaign, but later on you prove you're a very capable shadowrunner in numerous difficult jobs. Of course, it would be stupid to fuck off with her right at the start, I'm not saying that should be possible (or at least, doing so should bring you to an early game over), and she's useful to the player in finding Raymond and/or clues about Tsang and the Plastic Man, so it's okay to keep it cool and let her boss you around until you achieve your objectives, on this I agree with you.
    At the end of the game, though, the player is able to defeat teams of elite soldiers, megacorporations and a fucking demon, I'd say that after achieving that there should be quite the demand for your team's skills and finding a way to give Cheng some retribution shouldn't be that hard in comparison to your previous jobs. And that's even more true by the end of the expansion, where you take down another elite group and the machinations of one of the biggest megacorps of the world.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Septaryeth Savant

Septaryeth
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  6. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    He would have to pay to use the liscence, and all content would have to be approved by Microsoft, so no... :M

^ Top  
  7. Septaryeth Savant

Septaryeth
    Knowing and hoping are different things...a man can dream, can he?

:negative:

^ Top  
  8. Gord Arcane

Gord
    You sure that Microsoft still enters into that equation? AFAIK they were "just" acting as a publisher to SRR, but don't hold any rights to the license beyond that (I might be wrong there).

^ Top  
  9. Duellist_D Savant Patron

Duellist_D
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Topps is the mothercompany for the license, i also don't think MS has any claims to the license anymore.

^ Top  
  10. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    You done it yourself? I wouldn't mind replaying Shadowrun Returns with every unit using the boss AI, and shooting more than once per turn.

^ Top  
  11. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Yep. [see post below for new version]

Should work with any of the SR games since they have their own ai packages and I changed all of them. Extracting the HK folder into SRR won't hurt anything, for example.

Edit: N/A

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Thanks.
    Going to fire SRR up and see how it feels.

^ Top  
  13. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    I looked at the AI packages included when you just install SRR, and you might need to play Returns in the Dragonfall engine to take advantage of the modified AI packages. I don't think DMS used their GUMBO scripting language, that was DF and later.

Also, I updated the AI mod to fully support Dragonfall. Follow the install instructions for Dragonfall if you're going to play Returns in that version of the engine.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  14. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    I am going to give it a whirl and then come back to you.

You are probably right since it didn't seem to work with SRR and when i tried to run it through dragonfall it became a little buggy.
    Some of the ai didn't move nor attack and they took a long time to act.

I did test it on HK, and it was much better. I guess my adept will have to stop using the first armor in the extended part.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Seaking4 Learned

Seaking4
    Just finished it. It was what I expected it to be although I preferred Dragonfall. Was not a fan of the revamped matrix. Mostly because it was just a mess at times. I think it's funny that they felt the need to include a stealth component in the matrix yet there is still no stealth in the rest of the game. Although, I did think that the Matrix was better in the mini-campaign because it seemed less messy. The mini-campaign made things more difficult but that was done by increasing horde size. If they want to make the game more difficult they should just let enemies attack more that once per turn. There are still a few bugs in the game. Someone at HBS needs to remember "i before e except after c" because the word retrieve was spelled retreive on several occasions.

Anyways, I think SR is at its best when they have you balancing a few things in a conflict. Either having someone in the matrix doing work while the rest of the team is fighting, working on a time limit, defending a machine, etc. Would have liked more of those in the game. Adds some difficulty to the game and takes away from the monotony of it all.

Overall, I thought it was ok. good enough that I'll back the next one at the minimum tier again but it's getting a bit repetitive.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Well, I've finished the mini-campaign and I liked it - but it isn't as good as Hong Kong or Dragonfall. Hong Kong remains the best of the series for me.

I hope they keep making Shadowrun games because they are really good at it - but maybe a new engine is needed.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Magnificate Novice

Magnificate
    Question: Including the Mini-Campaign, exactly how much Karma is available?

^ Top  
  18. Crichton Erudite

Crichton
    Without going back and looking over my last save, about 230 which is a shitload; you might well run out of useful things to do with karma around 200-210.

^ Top  
  19. Gord Arcane

Gord
    I've 232 Karma on my char after finishing the mini campaign, but I didn't do one of the runs during the OC.
    You'll probably have around 220-240 Karma at your disposal, depending on how you play (there are a few optional things that give a karma point once in a while) and whether you do all runs or not.
    It does indeed give enough Karma to fully develop your main skill(s) and add some other things on top.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    ^ Top  
  20. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    Finished the mini campaign.

HBS certainly went out of their way to add mandatory combats and also make passing through via etiquette/speech harder. This made sense both in terms of gameplay and it fits the higher level areas of the epilogue.

Speaking of the Karma discussion, I wish they didn't reward you with any during the epilogue. You don't need it and all it does is incentivize dumping them into body or getting extra abilities you don't need.

I did not find the levels on the whole better than the main HK campaign. Most of them are every bit as linear. The one standout is the final assault on Krait and even that unfortunately gets linear at the end. But the opening area of the final mission is great and there are secrets to discover to change the story.

Speaking of secrets, one of the things I liked and wish they used a bit more was the keyword system. It's used a few times in the mini campaign with a pretty nice effect both as a puzzle and with C&C.

Good stuff:
    Injection of a few more puzzles as previously mentioned.

The optional challenge of saving the test subjects, it's very time constrained and puts a lot of pressure on you.

The non-linearity of the map before the final confrontation with Krait.

Dialog with NPCs is less annoying. I think the reason for this is most NPCs you only encounter once or twice. Where as in the main campaign you hear the same Reliable Matthew drone on and on over the same shit after every mission. In the epilogue you are on more of a whirlwind tour and only briefly visit areas. Thus the NPCs don't overstay their welcome.

Shit I hated:
    I really fucking hated the interrogation opening, railroaded flavor choice dialog.

HBS did not fix the ridiculous grenade throw back arm and even made it worse. Now they added it to enemies which makes sense, except if you have the magnet arm in your group as well it becomes grenade volleyball. It's so bad to the point where you don't know which enemies have it, so you just stop using grenades. The fix for this is to make it work only once per engagement per character with that perk/cyberware.

Some of the combats were too long, specifically the big finale on one of the optional missions. If you have lower damage output runners it could potentially take 40~ minutes. Except it's just grindy and not hard.

One of the big problems of the nu-matrix that was even more exposed in this version (because it has more auto-start combats) is that it really doesn't make any sense to move, EVER. The reason is there are these little drones that just detect you and increase that number which are also active when combat is over. Well if you stay at the starting area where the mandatory combat starts you avoid hitting those extra detection numbers. So moving to find cover never really makes any sense. Cast sniffer and chuck attacks then move on. Every time.

Could have been better:
    They should have outright cut the side missions and instead focused on making three really damn good non linear maps related to the main story.

The extra mandatory combats really exposed the need for a formation system.

I ran into a few weird bugs where some NPCs were clearly saying the lines meant for other NPCs. It was like the game was displaying the wrong portrait/name.

MOAR shadowland BBS.

There could have been better use of vents and maybe an extra optional matrix scenario or two.

A note on the ending

It's a bit button press like, though I did like the choices. I ended up choosing to leave the shadows because fuck Kindly Cheng.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    There's a keyword system?

^ Top  
  22. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Ending:

Show Spoiler
    I chose Cheng because it seemed like it was either her or Duncan, and fuck Duncan. Worse than Carth Onasi. At least I got to screw with him by pretending there was a ghost in the ship. It was payback for him being such a shitty character.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Nines Learned

Nines
    The campaign is definitely an improvement over Hong Kong, which dropped the ball pretty hard in my opinion. However,

Show Spoiler
    building the ending drama over something you character probably never really wanted to begin with (a SIN) was not a good decision. And there was no reason in burning the warehouse, Yellow Lotus and Mitsuhama will lose anyway (you were tearing your ass over nothing, because fuck you, that's why).

In other words, the endings could have been better. My character never wanted his old life back, neither he wanted to be a Yellow Lotus pawn forever.

^ Top  
  24. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    I finished the mini-campaign; 220 karma spent from the main campaign (with at least 221 possible) and +28 karma points from the mini (only got 8 karma for Namizu, did anyone get 10?). Overall the mini made up for how crappy the last mission in main was, but still not as great as Dragonfall.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I finished the mini-campaign; 220 karma spent from the main campaign (with at least 221 possible) and +28 karma points from the mini (only got 8 karma for Namizu, did anyone get 10?). Overall the mini made up for how crappy the last mission in main was, but still not as great as Dragonfall.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)