Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eXalted

Arcane
There are people roleplaying in the Kickstarter comments, speaking in Shadowrun dialect :-/

Thinking of withdrawing my pledge.

Relax, chum, don't look at them dreks. It will be totally worth it, keep your nuyen in Kickstarter.

almondblight

Arcane
1. Why are you showing a picture of a temple when they were complaining about a gateway? Are you not able to tell the difference?

Eh...because my post was responding to your silly claims (about how there's no exoticism and the whole city is just like a red light district) and not his silly claims (how you wouldn't find anything like the arch in the picture in HK)? I kind of thought the fact that I was quoting you gave it away...

attitudes, lifestyle, demographics, superstitions, etc of the place.

Which is the kind of stuff Kem0sabe was asking for.

And how a setting in HK can be realized aside from the obvious random (and in fact very much out of place) pagodas thrown in.

PC020006.JPG

Maybe write to the HK gov and tell them to remove this out of place pagoda?

I get that a lot of people who've traveled overseas never leave the hostel/foreign bar/red light district nexus to see what the rest of a city is like. But the ignorance of backpackers doesn't mean that this game should be devoid of local culture, particularly with a setting as exaggerated as Shadowrun.

Gord

Arcane
Since it's set in Kowloon, will it feature the walled city?*

*In the real world, it has been torn down 20 years ago, I think.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There are people roleplaying in the Kickstarter comments, speaking in Shadowrun dialect :-/

Thinking of withdrawing my pledge.
Let those guys have some fun.

I would agree that kickstarter comments aren't the ideal place to make such things, but I don't find it harmfull to the campaign or the game in any way.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
still need to pledge but paying with card is not an option for me, so would like to pledge via the Codex (and netting a copy of course! )

Multi-headed Cow

You could always just buy a prepaid credit card with your coat pulled tightly around you and a baseball cap low over your eyes, and as the cashier jokingly asks what it's for you mumble "Videogames" and run out of the store. It'll even get you in the shadowrun mood!

imweasel

Ugh, I really hope we don't end up with another Bioware on our hands. I really don't want Hong Kong to turn into another fucking waifu simulator.
Fear not.

Mitch again. Welcome to the new folk! Oh, and check out the new reward graphic on the main page for clarification of a question.

Mostly we're here to clarify stuff and listen to you discuss comments and suggestions. If you want to ask us a question directly, say HEY HBS! at the top of your comment so we can parse them better. Thankee!

Some quick answers:

New reward graphic on the main page!

>>>open-sourcing the editor
Yes, we considered that. It takes time to do that, though, and everyone’s on deadlines right now. We’ll have another chat about it soon.

>>>Does the Racter figurine come with Koschei as well?
Yup!

>>>when would I get the old games in the shadowrunner tier
You’ll get links to these within the next couple of months. We just need to get the KS rewards software package in place and get everyone entered into it.

>>>selling equipment
Not on our current features list.

>>>new spells
Yup! I refer you to our first funding goal -- $100,000 - Enhanced Player Controls! In addition to all the new Tech, Magic, Weapons, Consumables, Creatures, and Enemies we're already planning

@sMash (and others with suggetions)
Just want to make sure y’all know that the design team reads the comments page and sees your suggestions. I’m not going to reply to any of them but we’re listening!

>>>romance
There are no romances in SR:HK.

>>>pathing
Your crew should not move in combat without your control. Am I missing something?

@LordW - have you tried the combat in the Director’s Cut?

>>>clothes
Did you know you can buy outfits from vendors in the game?

Later!
Mitch
Source

eXalted

Arcane
>>>open-sourcing the editor
Yes, we considered that. It takes time to do that, though, and everyone’s on deadlines right now. We’ll have another chat about it soon.
Open up that, baby!

Sykar

Arcane
Glad to read there are no romances in SR:HK. Gosh wish all these companies would stay away from including romances into their games.
It was a nice novelty in BG2 but even there, mostly juvenile dialogue and over the top derpy executed, what made it even worse that the companions came up with the shit at the most inappropriate times, like right in the middle of a monster infested stinking dungeon.

>>>when would I get the old games in the shadowrunner tier
You’ll get links to these within the next couple of months. We just need to get the KS rewards software package in place and get everyone entered into it.

But, but, but....I just backed it for 75$ to get all Shadowrun games in one package..... Guess I will still need to pirate it, through. HBS really does aim for that classical computer games era feel!
:troll:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Glad to see them have such success with this. No one was sure whether Dragonfall sold well or not, and I think this is a great sign that it was a bigger hit than we thought. HBS can keep making Shadowrun campaigns as long as they want if you ask me, they keep getting better at it. Definitely earned my gold on this one, and I barely ever do Kickstarter.

cruelio

Savant
I've already donated even though it looks like yet another "job leads to saving the world" scenario. I wish they'd make a Shadowrun game about just going for a huge heist with optional missions you can do that will affect the outcome, like the Aztechnology heist in DF but writ large. You could walk by the "evil plan to destroy the world" department, shrug, and go on to your actual objective.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, I'd kill for a campaign where your only motivation was greed. Though I'd settle for one that is entirely personal, like revenge or saving your own ass, that didn't tie into some greater plot. Epic world saving shit doesn't really fit Shadowrun's theme- the characters aren't heroic to begin with. Those guys are stupid and dead. Pros are smart and pragmatic. It's better suited for stories of betrayal and compromising one's beliefs. If you're going to drag feelings into the run, they'd better be over a girl (no thanks, writers not trusted to do this well) or a vendetta. Nothing else really makes sense. Family maybe, but most runners shouldn't have such burdens to worry about.

Multi-headed Cow

Agreed on being disappointed if they have you saving the world again, but the same applies to other RPGs too. Even sword and sorcery fantasy RPGs have too much "RELUCTANT HEROES THROWN TOGETHER BY FATE, THEY ARE THE ONLY CHANCE THE WORLD HAS" and not enough "Actual criminals, greedy fuckers, and mentally unstable people". Doesn't even mean everyone's in it for gold. The wizard's greedy for buried knowledge found in dungeons (And of course gold that can buy knowledge), the paladin is a crazy but well meaning bastard smiting evil and trying to make the world a better place by either flailing at game journalists or alternatively demanding more black people and women, the druid was murdering people for chopping down his precious trees and now he's on the run so he's traveling with the constantly moving party for safety and cover, etc. It is a bigger deal in Shadowrun though since it specifically hammers the "There are no heroes morally gray morally gray grimdark grimdark" point though. Doesn't mean your party/character are all horrible dicks, but even in the blessed Dragonfall campaign I remember multiple points where your party gets judgy if you follow the mission you were hired to do even though they're supposed to be an established team.

cruelio

Savant
Agreed on being disappointed if they have you saving the world again, but the same applies to other RPGs too. Even sword and sorcery fantasy RPGs have too much "RELUCTANT HEROES THROWN TOGETHER BY FATE, THEY ARE THE ONLY CHANCE THE WORLD HAS" and not enough "Actual criminals, greedy fuckers, and mentally unstable people". Doesn't even mean everyone's in it for gold. The wizard's greedy for buried knowledge found in dungeons (And of course gold that can buy knowledge), the paladin is a crazy but well meaning bastard smiting evil and trying to make the world a better place by either flailing at game journalists or alternatively demanding more black people and women, the druid was murdering people for chopping down his precious trees and now he's on the run so he's traveling with the constantly moving party for safety and cover, etc. It is a bigger deal in Shadowrun though since it specifically hammers the "There are no heroes morally gray morally gray grimdark grimdark" point though. Doesn't mean your party/character are all horrible dicks, but even in the blessed Dragonfall campaign I remember multiple points where your party gets judgy if you follow the mission you were hired to do even though they're supposed to be an established team.

Well yeah, the fact that 90% of RPGs also have you being the chosen one who saves the world is part of the problem.

Although to be fair you're not really an established team in DF. The team was originally led by Monika, who didn't seem like the type to take the missions the team complains about.

imweasel

>>>more consequences
We want that too! We're happy with the consequences in DFDC but would love to do better. It's one of the reasons we're working to keep our plans focused so that we can focus on things like consequences, RP, etc.

>>>dead mans switch directors cut
No plans for this right now.

>>>rights ownership of FASA properties
Don't hold your breath. The Borg does not release captives so easily... :)

>>>praise for DMS' detective noir
Thanks! Jordan was really after that tone and it was really fun to write. Glad we could deliver.

>>>character selection UI - one click to select, two clicks to center
Not on our list but we'll discuss it.

>>>move more freely between areas in Honk Kong
Not on our features list. Movement between neighborhoods/locations will behave similarly to DF.

@LordW, re: combat
>>>Cover
If you hover your cursor over an enemy, the UI will tell you if he's flanked or in the open.

>>some way to tell if they are heavy armored
If you hover your cursor over an enemy, you'll see a row of white boxes. They flash when the enemy is hit. That's the enemy's armor blocking damage. It was added in DFDC.

>>>sniping from long-long distance
Lots of maps are small, as you said. This is on purpose for environmental/tactical reasons. You need to switch weapons for the right situation. We want you to get excited when you realize you have a solid sniper lane. We'll do better on that in the future. Oh, and larger maps doesn't necessarily mean visually bigger. The hotel in DF was one large map of 5 floors.

>>>Upgrades for weapons
Love the idea. Not in scope for this release. You still be able to buy a different version of a weapon that includes the upgrade but you won't buy a scope and then decide which weapon to place it on.

>>>Point system (more AP for more...stuff)
We actually had that in DMS but decided to go the direction we did to streamline gameplay. I get the "more control" idea but it felt too finicky for 2013. And before anyone asks, no, we can't release that incredibly old version. ;)

>>>AOE damage
We can look into the balance on that.

>>>Chris Avellone for a mini-campaign
Chris is a really nice guy and we love his work but no "stunt" writers for us. We'll stick with McIntosh.

>>>loading times
We hate long load times and we'll do our best to bring them down.

>>>SR:HK price on Steam, GoG, Humble at launch
The $15 reward level comes with 3 soundtracks and wallpapers that won't be part of the game when we sell it later. That's your bonus for backing the project now rather than later. We can't say the final price right because we don't know how big the game will be by the time we're finished. By backing us now you contribute to creating a bigger/better experience for everyone, including yourself, at this price.

And finally, a note about the Matrix funding goal:

We want it too.
source

-----

That is a bit disappointing. I was really hoping that HBS would increase the scope of the game, but it seems that SR:HK will just be a new campaign like Dragonfall DC with a lot of fixes and improvements and only a slightly increased scope. But I guess I can't blame them, it is probably better to not get carried away and only gradually increase team size and scope as they gain more experience. But maybe they have more planned for stretch goals >700K, we'll see.

I'd also really like to know what exactly they are planning with the 700K (550K ATM) dollars listed in the stretch goals. In update #5 they mentioned that they are planning to do a lot of stuff with the cash, but are still pretty quit about what that might be as of yet.

SniperHF

Arcane
Anyone know what the lisence situation is like for Shadowrun and Harebrained? Can they keep pumping out these campaigns as they develop them? Or is their license holder gonna revoke it or their contract run out at some point?

I know they don't have a ton of control due to that whole DRM free dispute from the first campaign. And this campaign mentions Harebrained cannot sell specific add-ons on their site due to licensing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom