Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

imweasel

Actually, both SRR and SR:DF have perspective rendering as an option, in addition to orthographic. It affects every object in the map.
Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that, I'll have to check it out.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, Shadowrun (or Pillars of Eternity for that matter) isn't "2D" or "3D", it is something in between.

Shocking, I know.

Anyway, games Like SR that use parallel projection and static 2D backdrops will always look a bit shitty because of the lack of (a dynamic) perspective AKA motion parallaxing and other 3D graphical goodies.
Shadowrun doesn't use a prerendered 2D scene. It's all 3D. Just very simple 3d with painted textures to make it look nice.

roshan

Arcane
Well, Shadowrun (or Pillars of Eternity for that matter) isn't "2D" or "3D", it is something in between.

Shocking, I know.

Anyway, games Like SR that use parallel projection and static 2D backdrops will always look a bit shitty because of the lack of (a dynamic) perspective AKA motion parallaxing and other 3D graphical goodies.

There is nothing shitty about the way Shadowrun and Dragonfall look. Now Wasteland 2 on the other hand... Yuck.

Also, by "2D", we're actually referring to "prerendered", which POE is, but SR is actually only pseudo-2D, because the gameworld is actually rendered as a bunch of 3D objects with fixed perspective and 2D textures on top of them. And if you turn on "perspective" projection in the options menu, as opposed to orthographic, you will actually see objects shift slightly in relation to the camera angle.

But gameplay wise, the final product very much delivers the awesomeness of 2D.

imweasel

Shadowrun doesn't use a prerendered 2D scene. It's all 3D. Just very simple 3d with painted textures to make it look nice.
You're right. I had a look at the editor, the backgrounds are actually tiled which is pretty nifty. Rudimentary 3D geometry with hand painted textures on the plane orthogonal to the camera's viewpoint, they are basically building blocks with a texture on one side. This is a very smart system and much more dynamic than the huge pre-rendered 2D backgrounds that PoE engine uses.

There is nothing shitty about the way Shadowrun and Dragonfall look. Now Wasteland 2 on the other hand... Yuck.

Also, by "2D", we're actually referring to "prerendered", which POE is, but SR is actually only pseudo-2D, because the gameworld is actually rendered as a bunch of 3D objects with fixed perspective and 2D textures on top of them. And if you turn on "perspective" projection in the options menu, as opposed to orthographic, you will actually see objects shift slightly in relation to the camera angle.

But gameplay wise, the final product very much delivers the awesomeness of 2D.
I started up Dragonfall DC. It does indeed have an option for perspective projection, but it is very rudimentary and the game doesn't have any motion parallaxing. I like motion parallaxing because the perspective dynamically changes with your viewpoint when you pan/tilt/zoom the camera, which makes scenes seem more realistic. You can see this very well in D:OS or Trine. This is missing from games with simple 2D backdrops, so they will never be able to compete to a full 3D scene IMO.

Anyway, it seems to me that you don't really have a problem with 3D scenes (as long as the game uses very good textures), you just don't like to be forced to readjust the camera or like it when some shit pops up blocking your view. I have heard this argument a lot and think it is legit, there is nothing worse than not being able to concentrate on gameplay because you are fighting the camera.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's also cheaper to make, since you can reuse assets again and again. Every person in Berlin has the same 4 plants showing through the windows of their greenhouse module.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I like the looks of SR, but can understand that hip young'uns dont dig it. As someone said above, the less time fiddling with camera controls the better. So if they kept this engine the way it was for HK and maybe other campaigns im happy.

I also hope the *never* introduce voice acting. I just started another run of Dragon Fall DC and the silence of the characters is just golden. Gamers used to getting wizbang cutscenes and achievements at 1 minute intervals will probably not like it, but please keep the silence and excellent descriptions/written dialogs. At least these leave some room for your own imagination.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I also hope the *never* introduce voice acting. I just started another run of Dragon Fall DC and the silence of the characters is just golden. Gamers used to getting wizbang cutscenes and achievements at 1 minute intervals will probably not like it, but please keep the silence and excellent descriptions/written dialogs. At least these leave some room for your own imagination.

They have already stated they will NOT do voice overs for NPC's. They like the player to use their imagination for each of the NPC's. And that is the way it should be. :salute:

imweasel

They have already stated they will NOT do voice overs for NPC's. They like the player to use their imagination for each of the NPC's. And that is the way it should be. :salute:
Agreed. But I do really like combat barks, I wouldn't mind if they added those.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Agreed. But I do really like combat barks, I wouldn't mind if they added those.

They would start to get incredibly boring, unless they spent a lot of $$$$$ recording many many different ones.

But that is money that is much better spent on something else. IMHO.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm in favor of combat barks...but who said they have to be voiced? Just make NPCs shout stuff out occasionally, Fallout-style.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Text combat barks would be pretty awesome. They already do that sort of thing for certain things in SR: DF; like when a captain is calling for backup or something. And there's certainly nothing in the game I'd have wanted them to cut out so they could budget for some generic grunting when people get shot.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have to admit my biggest popamole indulgence is that I love the talking heads in Fallout and the limited voice acting 90s Interplay RPGs had.

Still, I'm fine with SR being silent and text barks would be cool.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
People would accuse them of stealing ideas from WL2.

Athelas

Arcane
JA2/IE style voice-acted barks are the best.

I have to admit my biggest popamole indulgence is that I love the talking heads in Fallout and the limited voice acting 90s Interplay RPGs had.
The voice-acting in those was superb (and even included people like Keith David) - I don't think there's a chance of any Kickstarter RPG's achieving that quality.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't even remember Fallout barks because I'm senile like that, but I did like the spell incantations in Final Fantasy Tactics.
71-capture_30122010_225923.png

25-capture_04012011_162919.png

Athelas

Arcane
I can see how a mage ending their mystical incantation by saying 'Fire 2' would be memorable (for all the wrong reasons).

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jesus, their not putting much effort on the updates, are they?

Only two very short about a particular developer inside work, and now a bit of info about a figure. I know that they have a lot more money that what they really need, and they will end with an even greater amount, but I would appreciate something a bit more juicy with maybe new concept art, or lore updates relevant to the new Hong Kong storyline, they don't need to do much more to keep me hooked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom