Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shamus Young's Reset Button is back

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I assume a lot of you don't know who this is, but he's got a successful blog and does some good analysis of games. My personal favorite is his insightful video on the constraints and possibilities of the sizes of digital worlds in games:

If I get around to it I'll post his coming videos here too.

Shinji

Savant
Nice, It's great to have him back.

His video on megatextures was also pretty good

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
He's one of those rare people who knows what they're talking about but also knows how to explain to a layman what we want to know about this stuff.

passerby

Arcane
The raytracing is a very informative one. High quality static lighting and shadows are the reasons why we get much less destructible environment and dynamic objects.
And the industry for marketing purposes will sacrifice everything, for pretty screenshots, case in point 30fps ( and below ) framerates on consoles being the norm.
For now it's just adds realistic reflections and slightly more dynamic shadows, but when it'll become the default way of doing all lighting, all lighting related things will be fully dynamic and physically interactive environment will be possible without sacrificing visual fidelity.

Gerrard

Arcane

Literally brainlet level coverage, zero real research done into anything he talked about.
>all mirrors in old games were fake rooms
:retarded:

>completely omitting like 10 years of technology evolution

>with raytracing, everything is free!!!!11
No it fucking isn't. Every additional feature increases the cost because it requires additional rays.

YldriE

Learned
To be fair, for someone with a background in computer programming, he's often spectacularly retarded with basic technology, like grandma's-first-AOL-mailbox retarded. The dissonance is such that the most sensible hypothesis is that he's faking it for clicks, people getting angry or incredulous and calling him out in the comments are simply more traffic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom