Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shane Plays - LPs and Interviews

SniperHF

Arcane
Unsurprisingly you got a bit bogged down in "Define RPG" :lol:

Got rolling around the MMO talk oddly enough.

But I got to bash Oblivion. :P

That was the best part.:greatjob:

Matt made a pretty good point too about some of the excessive animations and such bogging down gameplay.

sstacks apparently enjoyed KOTOR 7 times.

For a future discussion like this I think it would be good to come at it with a few specific games in mind to tackle that everyone has a point of reference on.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd say the discussion lacked depth. The topic seems way too broad for such a show.

On the other hand, I'd love to listen to a podcast with felipepepe, Matt Barton or some other opinionated dudes talking about one game at a time. Solid 3 hours of in depth conversation about Pools of Radiance instead of "hey so what games do you like? well, cool. yeah. So. What games do you hate?" and so on.

sstacks

Arcane
I'd say the discussion lacked depth. The topic seems way too broad for such a show.

In retrospect, I agree. Hard to get in a deep discussion of such a broad topic in less than an hour with a hard stop like radio.

Still, it was a fun discussion with a few high points.

Best,
Shane

NOTE: Edited to fix quote tag.

sstacks

Arcane
sstacks apparently enjoyed KOTOR 7 times.

For a future discussion like this I think it would be good to come at it with a few specific games in mind to tackle that everyone has a point of reference on.

I do indeed love me some original KOTOR.

Yeah it would be fun to try a similar discussion with an altered format.

Best,
Shane

Shammy

Learned

On the other hand, I'd love to listen to a podcast with felipepepe, Matt Barton or some other opinionated dudes talking about one game at a time. Solid 3 hours of in depth conversation about Pools of Radiance instead of "hey so what games do you like? well, cool. yeah. So. What games do you hate?" and so on.
Now this is a solid idea, would love to see some indepth discussion on a specific game. Kotor 2 show anyone?

Also shane, you've never played F:NV? By jove laddie you gots to

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ninjerk

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found the last radio show boring. I was expecting more drama. You can tell a lot about the show when the hilarious fox news broadcast that was just before the show game me more entertainment.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was ok. Probably too many people participating, for such brief show.

Gave me the idea of RPGCodex making its own podcast. We could force felipepepe into volunteeering to host it, and invite various people for each episode to praise good, lesser-known games and bash the whatever popular release of the week is.

BTW, Matt Barton's definition of RPG is clearly incorrect. (Just saying. ;) ). Not to mention, RPGs got redefined in their long history, more than once.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That was ok. Probably too many people participating, for such brief show.

Gave me the idea of RPGCodex making its own podcast. We could force felipepepe into volunteeering to host it, and invite various people for each episode to praise good, lesser-known games and bash the whatever popular release of the week is.

BTW, Matt Barton's definition of RPG is clearly incorrect. (Just saying. ;) ). Not to mention, RPGs got redefined in their long history, more than once.
I suggest first episode is about PoE and we get Sensuki vs Ireneous II and maybe someone else to part of it.
And Darth Roxor and Infinitron as backup.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
While it's a cool idea, you won't be able to force me into hosting this... unless you get some really special hostages.

animlboogy

Learned
You should keep doing these, if people are willing to come back. Would've been nice to get more out of everybody.

sstacks

Arcane
You should keep doing these, if people are willing to come back. Would've been nice to get more out of everybody.

Most of my guests have a standing invite to come back :)

I'll do another cRPG discussion down the road with a more focused topic.

Alchemist

Arcane
Finally got around to listening to the latest show - you guys did fine considering the constraints of the format. I'm just glad to have any radio show / podcast talking about CRPGs.

Gave me the idea of RPGCodex making its own podcast.
The world really needs something like this - an in-depth podcast discussing CRPGs (whether it's Codex affiliated or not). There really is nothing out there filling this niche. I would love to hear a podcast produced on a regular basis devoted to the topic. Have interviews with devs, roundtable discussions of classic (and new) CRPGs. A whole episode could be devoted to "what is an RPG" I guess. Dig into design issues (turn-based vs. real-time, etc.), rant about the problems of some games, point out the good stuff being done, the usual topics discussed here.

I know some shows like Matt Chat and Shaneplays touch on this sometimes, but a dedicated show would be awesome.

Mustawd

Finally got around to listening to the latest show - you guys did fine considering the constraints of the format.

I've said it before, but the format is really killing any kind of semi-deep conversations because half the show is usually a setup for the discussion. I mean if it was a bit more in depth from the get go, a la Fresh Air, then I think it'd work. But by the time a lot of the guests get to actually discussing the subject there's like 20 mins left.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
f7248a7c9f9e4b209dd9d4b478e7f24e.jpg
I agree with Musawd, the podcast really needed to focus primarily on the discussion at hand but with the current set up it really isn't compatible for this type of topic.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Codex still cannot agree on what a RPG is... :M
Yeah, we could (and should) devote the first episode of the podcast to determine that.

Ok, make that first fifteen episodes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom