Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Shardlight by Wadjet Eye Games

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is solid but previous offers like Technobabylon and Gemini Rue are better.

Haven't played Golden Wake, it kinda slipped under my radar, so I can't comment on that one.

But since many (most?) of Wadjet Eye games aren't actually made by them, only published (writers and coders are indie teams who team up with WE for publishing), it's hard to generalize them.

The only one of those games that was developed by Wadjet Eye is Shardlight.

Golden Wake thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/a-golden-wake-published-by-wadjet-eye.92559/

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Shardlight was developed "in house" by WEG but Dave didn't write or code it. The new model, I gather, is to bring AGS developers in house, pay them a modest salary, and not give royalties. [EDIT: This gives young developers the stability to focus on the projects, shortening development time, while letting WEG have a more profitable back catalogue, allowing it to continue operations. Seems like a good approach to me!] The same guy who wrote and designed A Golden Wake (Francisco Gonzalez) wrote and designed Shardlight.

Of WEG's prior games, the Blackwell titles (four five games), Emerald City Confidential, and The Shivah were developed by Dave. The third-party-developed ones were Puzzle Bots, Gemini Rue, Resonance, Primordia, Da New Guys, Technobabylon, and A Golden Wake. So it's about 50/50 published vs. developed, but most of the WEG developed games are older. Part of why Dave is stepping back from publishing, as I understand it, is that he didn't have enough time to develop his own stuff.

From the standpoint of the omniscient market, WEG's golden era was Gemini Rue to Blackwell Epiphany. Of course, I think that was in part because those releases coincided with the golden age of indie publishing on Steam.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Fixed. I only ever played through the first one, and I have a terrible memory for such things.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Out of WEG solidarity, I feel obliged to point out that 46/46 reviews on Steam are positive.
Out of candor, I guess I should now note that Steam has flagged 51/115 of the Shardlight reviews as coming from free keys. But even when you take these out, the game still gets 96% positive reviews, so I'm not sure it matters.

--EDIT--

Ah, just saw from Dave's Twitter feed that these were apparently all legitimate direct sales. Pretty ridiculous that they should get sorted out. :/

Last edited:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I know some people are upset about it, but Quest for Infamy has 74/84 Steam Purchases, and a rating of very positive. New Steam ratings haven't changed our reviews much.

Bt

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah, no other WEG titles are affected. Do you know whether bundles fall within the new rule? If so, it's hilarious that 40k bundled Primordias yielded <16 reviews.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Any copy that's not bought directly through the Steam store page counts as a Key Activation.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Reading through this thread I get the impression that WEG is the Bethesda of retro-adventures: Good publisher, not-so-good (out of politeness) developer.

Either way, I played the demo and thought there was something lacking...

Ivan

Arcane
I don't remember much about this. it's best avoided. play Technobabylon or Resonance.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Reading through this thread I get the impression that WEG is the Bethesda of retro-adventures: Good publisher, not-so-good (out of politeness) developer.

Bethesda is not a good publisher, you piece of shit.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Bethesda is not a good publisher, you piece of shit.

They published some of my favorite games recently (Wolfenstein and Dishonored), so go fuck yourself.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Shardlight is basically a third-party game -- Dave didn't write or design it. It's just that Dave has the dev team on payroll rather than on royalties.

WEG published some poorly received games -- Da New Guys and Puzzle Bots and A Golden Wake -- and has developed some great games in house. I don't think you can draw a bright distinction in quality.

I do think that the puzzles are a little more difficult, numerous, and elaborate in the third party games. But Blackwell Epiphany has the highest combo player rating and Metascore, though it hasn't sold that many copies relative to Gemini Rue, Primordia, and Resonance. Ultimately, which WEG titles you like is really a matter of taste mor than clear quality differences.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
But Blackwell Epiphany has the highest combo player rating and Metascore

That only shows that players and critics cannot be trusted.
People seem deeply and genuinely attached to the game. No fronting, groupthink, celeb love, or marketing trickery. They just really like it. Their reviews aren't nonsensical. Why second guess them? I haven't played it myself, so I can't say whether I agree with them, but I'm not sure I could call them wrong in their conclusions even if I played it and disliked it. Unless it was really terrible like Dreamfall. :argh:

Critics definitely can't be trusted though, at least not the ones who have Primordia bad reviews. :D

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The ending of Blackwell Epiphany is one of the worst I can think of, at least in games or series of games with a decent story.
Very cool series otherwise, I've been listening to the soundtrack of the second episode a lot recently.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That seems more like a de gustibus point than a "they are observably nutty." But I defer to those who have played the game. :D

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
People seem deeply and genuinely attached to the game. No fronting, groupthink, celeb love, or marketing trickery. They just really like it. Their reviews aren't nonsensical. Why second guess them? I haven't played it myself, so I can't say whether I agree with them, but I'm not sure I could call them wrong in their conclusions even if I played it and disliked it. Unless it was really terrible like Dreamfall. :argh:

Critics definitely can't be trusted though, at least not the ones who have Primordia bad reviews. :D
I think you missed the joke there, "no one can be trusted".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom